Notices

good god what have I done?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I think a corridor sounds great. and just err on the side of giving it time to be wrong (say 400 meters out of the corridor). then before reroute the voice could say "vehicle possibly off course, rerouting in ten seconds, doubletap app to disable rerout and contine using current route" (or something to that effect).

That way a reroute after it being detected you are a reasonable way off course would be the default, however the user would have a simple way (double tap screen within 10 seconds of the message) to disable the reroute. the message could even be "rerouting in 10 double click to disable".
OK, thats seems doable.

Originally Posted by krsh77 View Post
I tried to download tiles for 10 kms and after some time, the phone became too hot with the diplay going blank. Had to pull out the battery and restarted the phone.

Is this behavior normal during the tile download?
Downloading tiles for a large area and/or full zoom range means downloading many thousand separate tiles, which can be quite resource intensive. But it really shouldn't make the application totally unresponsive. I'll look what cane be done to fix this and also how to optimize the whole process, I also opened a ticked for this issue.

I am using Titan's power kernel (37).
Are you running your N900 overclocked ? That could explain the increased temperature during the quite CPU intensive tile download. Could you perhaps try to do the same batch download with normal kernel for comparison ?

Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Two important things for navigating:
- autorotate the map
there was already a feature request for this a while ago, I am currently investigating how to do this in the most efficient manner.

Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
- "your" position on the map should be at the bottom of the screen, not at the center (so you could see as much what's coming ahead as possible).
good idea, I have added this to the rotation feature request.

what the heck am I doing?

I clicked download
I clicked max (160k)
I clicked max up and max down
Well, thats quite a big download.

what am I downloading, how big will it be and how long will it take.
There is not an easy answer. Size of the map images varies widely, some are 0,1 KB others 18-20 KB, this means taht it is not known how much will be actually downloaded and it can't be reliably estimated.

But! -> ModRana actually has a feature for checking the total download size of the current batch. Just tap the infobox instead of the start button and modRana will start checking the total size by skipping aready available tiles and looking on the metadata without actually downloading the whole tiles.

and why don't I know what I am doing?
Because the documentation on http://www.modrana.org is outdated and I have to finally start updating it.

BTW, modRana now has its own domain, www.modrana.org

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
used the voice navigation yesterday and for the most part it worked very well. some funny stuff even though I have speech on english american it keeps calling a parkway a peekway...but it got me where I needed to go. the only issue I had (several times)...

I set the ?navigaton? button (sorry don't have phone in front of me now) to 100m but this was still not long enough. for instance 4 out of 5 times I had to get onto a different highway or take an exit, I was actually on the exit before the voice kicked in gave me my instructions. I wonder if there could also be an option for say 200m?

also a manual reroute button like you suggested would be great. as it is now there is no real way to reroute while driving as you can't start going into menus while driving so it would need to be on the first screen. again thanks much for the great (and getting greater app).

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
OK, thats seems doable.

Downloading tiles for a large area and/or full zoom range means downloading many thousand separate tiles, which can be quite resource intensive. But it really shouldn't make the application totally unresponsive. I'll look what cane be done to fix this and also how to optimize the whole process, I also opened a ticked for this issue.

Are you running your N900 overclocked ? That could explain the increased temperature during the quite CPU intensive tile download. Could you perhaps try to do the same batch download with normal kernel for comparison ?

Thanks Martin for the response. I am running the N900 at lv profile with 850 as the upper limit. It has been running in this speed for a long time now and I never saw this overheating issues. Anyways I will try with the default kernel and let you know the results.

I also tried the JTileDownloader and I am yet to get a hang of it. It will be highly appreciated if there are instructions to download maps for a region/country like we have in Ovi Maps.

So far ModRana rocks (I am using with the Unlimited Network option as I am a bit reluctant to download tiles after the heating issue). If downloading tiles part is user friendly, then ModRana is the one for the Masses

Cheers

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
So far ModRana rocks (I am using with the Unlimited Network option as I am a bit reluctant to download tiles after the heating issue).
You can download tiles on a desktop system and transfer over to N900. See earlier posts in this thread.

Quick update:
V0.14-2
* manual rerouting support (just tap the info box)
* more distance steps for the "point reached distance" (200,300,500)
* custom search query
* special status and error tiles
- indicates that a tile is being downloaded or that there was an error during the download

more later

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Awesome! I wish your app was available 6 month ago....

Several (kindly asking) requests:
Could you put a search shortcut overlay to the main window? Currently it takes 4 clicks to reach category and 5 for custom query. What I have in mind is a shortcut that goes directly to category (whether search for nearby position or view might be a setting in option?)

Is it possible to add a call option to search result for direct calling from modRana?

Another request is... could you beautify the UI? (Am I asking too much?)

In any case, thanks for the effort!

I set the ?navigaton? button (sorry don't have phone in front of me now) to 100m but this was still not long enough. for instance 4 out of 5 times I had to get onto a different highway or take an exit, I was actually on the exit before the voice kicked in gave me my instructions. I wonder if there could also be an option for say 200m?
I added options for 200, 300 and 500 m. Also, make sure you in the car mode when driving (there is a car icon on the menu button) or else you may get a walking/biking optimized route.

also a manual reroute button like you suggested would be great. as it is now there is no real way to reroute while driving as you can't start going into menus while driving so it would need to be on the first screen.
I made it so, that tapping the routing info box triggers rerouting (new route from current position to destination + turn-by-turn restart from closest point). When I get to implementing the corridor idea, there would also be an option for automatic rerouting.

I also tried the JTileDownloader and I am yet to get a hang of it. It will be highly appreciated if there are instructions to download maps for a region/country like we have in Ovi Maps.
Cheers
It works for Ovi Maps, because they use vector maps which are much more space efficient. Downloading a standard sized country in all zoomlevels, including the highest ones (which have the most tiles) would mean downloading hundreds of thousand of tiles and would be an overkill. On the other hand, downloading a whole country with the lower zoomlevels only, so you have all the main roads and general area oversight, could be quite handy. It is weird there seem to be no such "upper zl tile packs" per country from the OpenStreatMap project.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
You can download tiles on a desktop system and transfer over to N900. See earlier posts in this thread.
Does anybody want to write a short "how to get tiles from PC to modRana" tutorial ? I can then put it on the modRana and Maemo wikis.

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Awesome! I wish your app was available 6 month ago....
Well, I started working on modRana about 6 months ago...

Several (kindly asking) requests:
Could you put a search shortcut overlay to the main window? Currently it takes 4 clicks to reach category and 5 for custom query. What I have in mind is a shortcut that goes directly to category (whether search for nearby position or view might be a setting in option?)
Do you mean that it goes directly to the categories menu or to some predefined category ?
Fast search access could be handled by a dedicated "search widget".
BTW: all the current widgets (speed, time, coordinates, etc.) are per mode configurable in "user_config.conf" in the main folder and interactive widget configuration and management is planed.

Is it possible to add a call option to search result for direct calling from modRana?
I'll investigate how this could be done.

Another request is... could you beautify the UI? (Am I asking too much?)
Could you be more specific ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
this and easy debian are tops. great to actually have someone listen...

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vancouver, Canada
do we need internet to use this gps application?

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps