Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
Lol why don't you skip straight to carbon fiber?

Titanium would be rather expensive compared to aluminum.

I would also be interested in a normal size metal case if estel is still keeping score.

The Following User Says Thank You to te37v For This Useful Post:
Really nice ! I had a look for this as well but i decided that it would be too complex for me.

I would buy both!

The sooner the better. Especially the antenna connector would be a really great thing. Keep it up...

If it is already not that thin... how about a usb socket?

I know not that simple etc. but with some soldering skills it should be possible to add one...

The adapter cable and the very sensitive usb port on n900 are not a great combination and this calbe ist just something you constantly forget to pack.

No worries, I'm still working on this - main limiting factor is money (although, pre-orders and donations from generous ones help *very* much) and time.

I was even able to ruin my main N900's motherboard, while doings tests (fatal mistake from my side, nothing to do with equipment).

Main change now, is moving from "mill moving in 3D above desk" to "desk moving in 3D below mill". the first variant works well for bigger parts, but is too low on being precise for small N900 case factor.

Another thing, is that changing V due to heat generated while milling is much more of a concern, than I've initially though (milled part is becoming "bigger" during milling, then smaller afterwards = precision is lost). I'm overcoming it by special variant of water+oil cooling of *material* being milled (water cooling of mill itself is totally different, more easy thing) - Basically, water mixed with special oil (that emulgates with water) is constantly cooling material in place, where mill works, then, it drops below, is collected, pumped up again, etc. Of course, cooler circuit is only semi-closed - as area of milling must be open - so I'm still losing some coolant in the process, but a magnitude less than colling without re-cycling. Otherwise, coolant used during milling would be more expensive than aluminum itself

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I'd definitely buy one backcover, not sure yet if I'd prefer a flat one or an extended one. I'd probably order both to be able to switch depending on the situation (extended only for trips or days when heavy usage of the N900 is expected), unless an extendable backcover (such as that suggested in the previous pages) is built.

Later, when they will be available, I could purchase additional parts to have a full body replacement for my beloved N900.

Keep up the great work Estel.

[Off-topic]
By the way, when the parts will be available for purchase, you'll probably have an additional order for a "USB port soldering" manipulation Estel, as I read somewhere that you can do it for European users. If you can also fix USB ports that are already broken, then you'll receive two N900 units, and I'll purchase another backcover.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 112 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Bristol, UK
Any chance you could show off some pictures Estel? Maybe some work_in_progress ones or even some failed attempts? You might get more people pre-ordering and therefore boosting project progress... What do you think? I guess it's worth a shot!
Flash Player v10.1 (faked to v12.1) is here!

Taking pre-orders for dual PolarCell battery (~3000mAh) with Mugen cover for £50
Get a free giffgaff Sim with £5 credit here! Also 250mins unlimited txts & internet for £10 PAYG!

The Following User Says Thank You to sEKI For This Useful Post:
Yea, it's good idea, and I've already promised photos or even video from in-work - need to get around it. Last time I had everything set-up fro quite good quality video, my N900's motherboard got screwed badly (with side effect of non-working camera), and no other one lying around. Later, machine was rather in parts, due to worktable reorganization (mentioned earlier).

Next 12 days I'll work on it - and machine improvements - very intensively, so I promise (really, this time ) to post some photos/videos.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I am sorry if yet another antenna question annoys you a little more but I have no concerns for WiFi and GSM module from your previous explanations with new antenna connectors and, in fact, they seem like not only good but the best solution for this.

I am however slightly concerned about the FM-transmitter; in every situation I find myself using it I find the range to be pretty poor (i.e. holding my hand up awkwardly in a friends car if the antenna of said vehicle is on the back). As I seem to recall (only seem) that the FM-transmitter antenna has no conector for easy replacement I would be rather disappointed if the case would act as a little "Faraday cage", if you will, and further reduce/cripple the range even more.

Thank you for the great work and keep it up, it sure sounds promising, I hope in the following weeks I can say it looks promising . I just hope I have not asked something silly

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Milano
il will buy it for sure if it will have a reasonable price!

and of course, it must look beautiful xD

The Following User Says Thank You to Au{R}oN For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pablocrossa View Post
I am sorry if yet another antenna question annoys you a little more but I have no concerns for WiFi and GSM module from your previous explanations with new antenna connectors and, in fact, they seem like not only good but the best solution for this.
First of all, interest in this project never annoys me As for new connector, of course, it will be "bonus feature", i.e. it won't replace standard antennas. It's going to be additional possibility, but you won't be forced to have external antenna connected every time You want to use any radio capabilities.

Precisely speaking, it will be one, standard antenna mini-connector - with three cables on the "inside" of body, that are to being connected into hirose U.FL ports on board. This way, depending on external antenna connected, You will have either Wifi and bluetooth (both are 2.4 GHz, so same antenna works well), GPS, or Cellular signal boosted. Generally, ranges wary so much, that different external antenna will be required for those three applications, but is it possible to DIY construct special, fractal antenna, with max resonance tuned for those 3 frequencies at once. Which is my plan to do after finishing this project

Originally Posted by pablocrossa View Post
I am however slightly concerned about the FM-transmitter; in every situation I find myself using it I find the range to be pretty poor (i.e. holding my hand up awkwardly in a friends car if the antenna of said vehicle is on the back). As I seem to recall (only seem) that the FM-transmitter antenna has no conector for easy replacement I would be rather disappointed if the case would act as a little "Faraday cage", if you will, and further reduce/cripple the range even more.

Thank you for the great work and keep it up, it sure sounds promising, I hope in the following weeks I can say it looks promising . I just hope I have not asked something silly
No worries, I won't allow FM transmitter (or any other) signal to be reduced. All internal antennas are going to work fine. It's yet to be decided, if I'm going to re-use existing ones (they're easily removable from case, during disassembling), put into special "sockets" in new body (by every user, during moving N900 to new body), or if I'll be forced to re-create internal antennas, but for sure having them working fine is a must.

Furthermore, I'll try to come with a way to allow external antenna connection for FMTX too, despite limitations - hoever, here I can't promise anything, yet.

---

BTW, as for FMTX power, have You tried using jacekowski's modified fmtx binary, together with kernel-power? It should allow You to have transmitting set to max permanently (even when device is connected to charger). In my case, it allow for absolutely clean transmitting across few rooms (walls), or to car following me on road (with some distortions at the latter).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel