Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Well that's exciting, I preordered my FP2 hoping that it would prove to be a more reliable piece of HW to run SFOS and other alternative OS on, and that looks a little more likely today.

I hope the Fairphone lives up to its expectations in terms of HW, I think it will attract more software development if people decide to stick with it in the long run.

Every couple of weeks I've been checking for cyanogenmod ports, but none have surfaced yet, hopefully that's because all the likely candidates are working on SFOS

Fingers crossed something is released by the time it's delivered
The community FP port is out, check reviewjolla for instructions (http://reviewjolla.blogspot.com/2016...irphone-2.html), which makes the announcement even more likely to be about the real deal (closed parts etc), fingers crossed, fullhd+2gb ram should be a nice upgrade

Last edited by szopin; 2016-03-21 at 18:31.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
...and I replied on that http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=137

there is nothing so far from fairphone or Jolla about an official sailfishos support. Community version of sailfishos has been there for long. So nothing new here.
Didn't see any link in the tweet I linked, but have it your way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Fairphone...63635765325824

That's pretty official. We know there are problems for Android using companies to also use aliendalvik.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by abranson View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/Fairphone...63635765325824

That's pretty official. We know there are problems for Android using companies to also use aliendalvik.
I hope that means a solid confirm of business side progression - both sides willing to move forward. And now solving technical side. (Which should be solved with some time...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
if myriad ground want to make any money with alien dalvik they need to spread it like pollen. To all possible OEMs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I hope that means a solid confirm of business side progression - both sides willing to move forward. And now solving technical side. (Which should be solved with some time...)
Again:

"@andybranson As for official support: no promises can be made at this point."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Again:

"@andybranson As for official support: no promises can be made at this point."
"I HOPE" 10chars

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Yes, the point to take away from this is the stage they're at. It's clear from this that they're committed to trying to produce an official sailfish version, else they wouldn't be at the stage of 'trying to get aliendalvik'. Of course some showstopper may appear and ruin everything, including contract clauses, negotiation failures. Promises are impossible, there are no guarantees.

Doesn't mean we can't enjoy a little anticipation.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to abranson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I really don't get why so many within this community are so obsessive about the need for Alien Dalvik to the point where it's the decisive factor as to whether they purchase a Fairphone. Sure there are are Android apps you'd like, indeed there are some that I'd like to run on my N900 too, but Alien Dalvik is a closed solution which sets us all back. This community should be getting fully behind and supporting free solutions like sfdroid and Shashlik. Even if you're not a developer you can still help by testing them, logging bugs, etc. instead of relying on some proprietary solution which we have no control over. If you're going to support Alien Dalvik, you might as well just use an Android phone.
[/RANT]

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
@wicket I agree 100%, well said!
Seems for some reason missing droid apps is a decisive thing, and maybe they just think official dalvik is the only solution.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, fair phone, fairphone2