Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Or on desktop.
Every year is the upcoming year of desktop Linux. I'm starting to think that's a running joke.

Or on server (the major providers use Linux, but their proprietary versions of it).
I'd disagree here. Linux servers did comprise the majority of the servers...

Or in national politics (communism?)
Didn't Linux become the favorite OS of China and India? I know of China at least. That's huge in itself. Let's see if that continues to other countries that will start to distrust Microsoft due to their PRISM/XKeyscore connections and perceived backdoors.

@Gerbick

If you consider for many peeps the definition of desktop has changed to mean, smartphone, tablet etc then linux on the desktop has indeed won.

Personally I have been Microsoft free on my home kit for at least 8yrs and have never had any issues that caused me any grief, hence my support for n900/maemo.

To me, having Windows on a phone just seems like a complete dead end retrograde step, I cannot see why any sane person would ever want this when there are so many compelling alternatives.

Rgds

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Uhh... Nobody agrees that a smartphone, tablet, etc. are "desktops." Heh.. no. I agree with pretty much everything else you said, though.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

I dont care what Android is based on, they pretty much copied Apple's ideas, icons and the whole experience. To me that is plagiarism and I will never buy their product. On the other hand, maemo, Harmattan, and WP8 truly tried to differentiate from the Apple experience and produced some fresh UIs. I bought these phones as I like to stimulate innovation. Android and Google stole it all.

@Lumiaman

er no they didn't.

@Danramos

I merely said "if you consider for many peeps" their primary desktop is no longer a desktop.

A large number of peeps have no need for a traditional desktop with their entire computing needs being satisfied by smartphones or tablets, then for that demographic being 70% Android, Linux has indeed won on the desktop, but first you have to recognise that their "desktop" is no longer a large beige box with a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

rgds

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I dont care what Android is based on, they pretty much copied Apple's ideas, icons and the whole experience. To me that is plagiarism and I will never buy their product. On the other hand, maemo, Harmattan, and WP8 truly tried to differentiate from the Apple experience and produced some fresh UIs. I bought these phones as I like to stimulate innovation. Android and Google stole it all.
Android owes much more to Symbian and Maemo than it does to feature phones like the iPhone.

The WinKia experience is much closer to 'the Apple experience' than Android is; high gloss but functionally crippled, tomb stoning devices that are trapped in a walled garden that's knee deep in rotting manure.

Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
@Gerbick

If you consider for many peeps the definition of desktop has changed to mean, smartphone, tablet etc then linux on the desktop has indeed won.
No. Smarthphones are not desktops. Last I checked, that's definitely not anywhere near the case. Until then, people are missing the point...

Personally I have been Microsoft free on my home kit for at least 8yrs and have never had any issues that caused me any grief, hence my support for n900/maemo.
Lucky you. I've straddled the Microsoft world as a developer, administrator, deployer and designer (network design and graphic design for web/mobile/desktop app)

To me, having Windows on a phone just seems like a complete dead end retrograde step, I cannot see why any sane person would ever want this when there are so many compelling alternatives.
Just like Android isn't full blown GPL/Linux, Windows Phone isn't full blown Windows. Kernels are important but are not the only indicator of your OS.

@Gerbick

"No. Smarthphones are not desktops. ... Until then, people are missing the point... "

You obviously accept there is a point and yet somehow it is the people that are missing the point? huh?

By using smartphones and tablets to replace what they would have traditionally used a desktop for and therefore no longer having a need for a traditional desktop the people are somehow at fault. hmmmm!

Perhaps this is why Nokia has completely and abysmally failed? no?

"I've straddled the Microsoft world as a developer, administrator, deployer and designer (network design and graphic design for web/mobile/desktop app)"

Lucky you, me too! last time I checked several of my many programming languages were core to Microsoft tooling, perhaps M$ should stop trying to manipulate the world of computing and relearn the lesson of delivering what best supports customers! eh?

"Windows Phone isn't full blown Windows"

Indeed, and yet I seem to be able to run many full blown Linux apps on my N900, perhaps Microsoft are not as good at this stuff as they pretend to be?

rgds

Last edited by uTMY; 2013-08-03 at 22:29.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Android owes much more to Symbian and Maemo than it does to feature phones like the iPhone.

The WinKia experience is much closer to 'the Apple experience' than Android is; high gloss but functionally crippled, tomb stoning devices that are trapped in a walled garden that's knee deep in rotting manure.
symbian and maemo had little to do with anything. in their own irrelevant world. android copied UI from apple, as well as the whole ecosystem concept like there is no tomorrow. if this was academia, they be stripped of everything. so keep supporting plagiarism. buy android

@Lumiaman

I find the Android UI quite distinct from the simple icons on iPhone with its widgets and all.

Strange you should think they copied Apple, after all, icons per se aren't that hard to come up with, I mean Microsoft even managed to figure it out it in Windows version 1.0

Then again, I suppose Microsoft has had 20 years of dominance to come up with the obvious concept of an appstore and yet clearly everyone else has still managed to do this before them.

Strange that, perhaps Microsoft are not as good as they pretend to be?

rgds

Last edited by uTMY; 2013-08-03 at 22:14.

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha