Active Topics

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by player_one View Post
Maybe someone already asked it, but I couldn't find an answer... I have CSSU Stable, can I install CSSU testing + thumb?
Yes.

ten chars

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by guilledoc View Post
upgraded and phone didn't boot
I've allready reflashed with backupmenu so I don't know what the problem was
I'll wait to reupgrade
I had a similar problem with the upgrade, but my device booted. The window to enter the password was odly aligned to the top instead of the common aligment to the bottom and then most of the items in the applet menu were missing (same as when hildon-status-something crashes, that only a safe set of applets are loaded). Some icons were missing, and apt didn't work (I got a NFS stale handler for /var/cache/apt/pkgsources.bin, even after restarting again). Also the first time it booted I didn't get the message about upgrade successful. I restored the backup I wisely did with backup menu, tried again and all worked perfect.

I didn't know what happen in the first try, I guess maybe the phone was rebooted before completion (I wasn't paying attention to the phone while it was being upgrade). My phone also have some internal memory errors so I think it could be related to that.

Anyway, is working fine now! Thanks for another great update!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llucax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
I notice that X terminal now affected by screen orientation (usually always in landscape mode), is it because the new update?
And may I ask who really want a portrait X terminal?

The Following User Says Thank You to sLumPia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by sLumPia View Post
I notice that X terminal now affected by screen orientation (usually always in landscape mode), is it because the new update?
And may I ask who really want a portrait X terminal?
Anybody and everybody. I changed "Up" and "Down" shortcuts to "U" and "D", for compactness. And I use the smallest font size possible. Maybe, it's harsh on eyes, but it allows to get long lines of text in the screen, whatever the orientation. If you use large font, even landscape orientation is not wide enough.
You can edit transitions.ini to add X-Terminal to blacklist - list of apps which should never auto-rotate.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llucax View Post
... My phone also have some internal memory errors so I think it could be related to that.
You can bet on it.

Seems lots of devices are suffering from corrupted fs (See cssu-testing thread). Hopefully newer e2fsprogs will be included in the next update, along with fs check on bootup.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
along with fs check on bootup.
You (cssu) really don't like people's filesystems that much? Updated e2fsprogs would be nice (IIRC, I've suggested it over a year ago to CSSU), but AFAIK it *won't* fix all issues fsck have with flash medium.

Last time I checked fsck on boot was *reason* for most corruptions people were experiencing, not it's source. At least for me, after editing it out from every and each maemo's startup script where possible (some months ago), I haven't got single problem like that (except for situation when my device banged floor during heavy I/O operations, resulting in battery traveling opposite direction than device - but, that's to be expected, and even then, data loss wasn't serious - one config file and few thumbnails).

I just hope that this change will be painlessly revertible for users.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Anybody and everybody. I changed "Up" and "Down" shortcuts to "U" and "D", for compactness. And I use the smallest font size possible. Maybe, it's harsh on eyes, but it allows to get long lines of text in the screen, whatever the orientation. If you use large font, even landscape orientation is not wide enough.
You can edit transitions.ini to add X-Terminal to blacklist - list of apps which should never auto-rotate.
Best wishes.
Wow...Sorry if I offend you, it's just I never though of using a portrait X-Terminal.
As you said, sometimes even a landscape orientation is not enough. So if I really need to edit a very long file, I will just do it on my pc.

Also, transition.ini already contain this line (I don't know if this is the default CSSU transition.ini, but I never edit this file):
Code:
blacklist = mediaplayer osso-xterm worldclock image-viewer camera-ui Calendar
But X-Terminal still rotate.
I have to add this line to osso-xterm.desktop, to make X-Terminal autorotation stop:
Code:
X-CSSU-Force-Landscape=true

The Following User Says Thank You to sLumPia For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
You (cssu) really don't like people's filesystems that much?
Yeah, our hate is driving us, no doubt.

Updated e2fsprogs would be nice (IIRC, I've suggested it over a year ago to CSSU), but AFAIK it *won't* fix all issues fsck have with flash medium.
Sure it won't, but it will be way better than current situation where I have to boot into rescueos and run e2fskc from there, as stock is refusing to fix my /home. Happened twice for the last month, without a particular reason. I guess corruption gets added through time to the point the broken /home fs prevents normal bootup. So, IMO it is better to have e2fsck (upstream version) run on every boot, than a bootloop on every system upgrade because of a corrupted fs(before upgrade).

Last time I checked fsck on boot was *reason* for most corruptions people were experiencing, not it's source. At least for me, after editing it out from every and each maemo's startup script where possible (some months ago), I haven't got single problem like that (except for situation when my device banged floor during heavy I/O operations, resulting in battery traveling opposite direction than device - but, that's to be expected, and even then, data loss wasn't serious - one config file and few thumbnails).
Sure, stock e2fsck has its bugs. But saying that it corrupts a healthy fs is nonsense. Rather it is unable to correctly fix the already corrupted fs.

BTW ubuntu LTS' e2fsprogs is in cssu-devel for a couple of weeks, do you have it installed on your device? Because I have it, along with enabled fsck on every boot. No problems since I did that.

I just hope that this change will be painlessly revertible for users.

/Estel
The same way you can "painlessly" enable fsck on every boot now. Via /etc/default/mount-opts-overwrite.

Community SSU developer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Would just like to say thank you for all the hard work and keeping this IMO still one of the best devices out there. I also have the new HTC One but the N900 is still the device people are impressed with even with the low screen resolution and relatively large screen size

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dlb1991 For This Useful Post:
So, IMO it is better to have e2fsck (upstream version) run on every boot, than a bootloop on every system upgrade because of a corrupted fs(before upgrade).
That's true, if...

The same way you can "painlessly" enable fsck on every boot now. Via /etc/default/mount-opts-overwrite.
...which is absolutely OK. I interpreted your info about "fsck on every boot" as indication, that quoted mechanism is going to change (again) in next release. I see, now, that you rather mean making fsck'ing with correct e2fsprogs as default action, with same way of controlling it as in current release. It sounds like best of "both worlds".

Sure, stock e2fsck has its bugs. But saying that it corrupts a healthy fs is nonsense. Rather it is unable to correctly fix the already corrupted fs.
I never said that, but if you got it this way, I might have used wrong words. Of course it wasn't affecting healthy filesystem (and was even able to fix minor things like group mismatchs - segfaulted on more serious tasks, "only").

BTW ubuntu LTS' e2fsprogs is in cssu-devel for a couple of weeks, do you have it installed on your device? Because I have it, along with enabled fsck on every boot. No problems since I did that.
Nah, I don't have guts to install cssu-devel on my everyday device, and no time to play with spare ones, lately (hardware modif. eats my rare bits of free time, nowadays). It's good to hear that it works fine, nevertheless.

Yeah, our hate is driving us, no doubt.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-07-16 at 03:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life