Posts: 53 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Veska, Czech Rep.
Anyway, I've received my TOHKBD on monday, I'm using it since then and it's just very cool! I feel like I have a true working tool in my hands again. So big thanks to Dirk & team!
The only little issue is my KB came without the NFC tag, but it's not a big deal I just had to install the supporting SW manually. But just to have my KB complete, is it possible to get a spare NFC tag?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
Kimmoli: I'm "Tomate_Cabreado" on IRC last tuesday. Just because I'm a little bored, I've decided to take the hard way and try to brick my Jolla... errrr, modify source files and recompile your app, in order to get the Spanish/French/Portuguese/Catalan/Swahili layout Malkavian has proposed.

But I just know the good old "./configure && make && make install". Does these Sailfish instructions make the right way to compile your Github source code?
https://sailfishos.org/develop/sdk-overview/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
mind is fried, but repaired like 20 kbs today, all in tohkbd order status page

10 or so to go, then frikkin finally time to make second kbs and do the million other things on my todo list!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Made TOHKBD magnet powered phone holder for my car.
Best looking phone holder I have ever seen and easy to use.
Attached Images

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Looking good!

Are you by any chance selling those?
goViihde, an Elisa Viihde client for N9
Shortcut Stash Home Screen Widget

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rooster13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rooster13 View Post
Looking good!

Are you by any chance selling those?
Maybe I could make few after work. Theres not much tools for metal at my work place so I have to do bit work with hand saw.

I can upload dimensions when I get home if someone wants to make one.

Edit: Added my paint art. Made mine from 2mm thick steel, make sure its magnetic.
Tools you need: Saw for metal, file, vise and hammer for bending, drill for starting holes and paint is nice.
I put some tape to bent part so it stays in better.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mikkosssss; 2015-08-07 at 11:09.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
Maybe I could make few after work. Theres not much tools for metal at my work place so I have to do bit work with hand saw.

I can upload dimensions when I get home if someone wants to make one.
I am no handyman myself
I can buy one if you want to make one.
goViihde, an Elisa Viihde client for N9
Shortcut Stash Home Screen Widget

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I received my TOHKBDs yesterday! Thanks to the glowing balls trio! :]

The two of them seem to work properly though one was only briefly tested. On the other one, which I use the most, only the G and 2 keys seem a bit capricious, but the latter was fixed after some rubbing. The toh part did not attach properly to the phone (like if the PCB was too thick), but after removing some excess glue near the magnets, it seems to fit better. I am still not sure it snapped firmly, but I will see after some more use if it holds properly. The tohkbd already experienced is first fall with the Jolla, but it's still in place and working. :]

The typing experience is very different on the two keyboards I got. Don't know exactly why, but one of them has a softer feeling, with a key course that seems slightly longer, and the experience is much better with it than with the other. The shallow course and stiffer feeling on the other one is actually very noticeable in comparison. I consider unassembling it to check if there is excess glue or material somewhere that would (very) slightly lift the PCB under the keypad.

[Edit] I'd be interested in a car holder too if you do some extra units. Do you plan on doing a landscape version?

Two questions:
  • To all: the original picture of the planned layouts showed an @ key next to the rightmost Shift key, on AZERTY layout. It is not there anymore, and in fact, I see no @ key at all on my actual keyboard. This is inconvenient for writing emails because I have to close the keyboard to have the touch keyboard on screen to select this character. Is the @ character hidden on some other key but not documented, with a Fn combination? Or did I just miss it because I am stupid? This would be very likely.

[Edit] OK, the @ key is actually on the same key as in the picture, it's just not engraved, and does not need Fn. This key is now ^ ¨ so I am still afraid that either the ^, the ¨ or the @ will be missing from the layout when the accented characters will be supported (they are not at the moment). I'm not sure exactly why the ^ character is on two keys: the one I just mentioned, and on T as a Fn symbol. I guess it's an error with the new Azerty layout, and this ^ should be a @?

For reference, here is the (new) Azerty layout:

• To Kimmoli: would it be technically possible, software-wise, to make the keyboard automatically use capitals for (i) the first character to be typed in a field (Messages, Whatsup, whatever, and it could be cancelled by pressing Shift), and (ii) following period character (.)? The N900 has a setting like this, which can be turned on or off in the options, and using the N900 last week and now the tohkbd, I realized that this setting significantly improves typing speed. If doable, is it a planned feature? By the way, the software is awesome. I was very pleasantly surprised, and yet, with you, my expectations were already high!

Last edited by Kabouik; 2015-08-07 at 11:44.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
Great idea that metal car holder! I'm gonna think about a way to make my own.

A silly one: I was checking my installed apps, when I said to myself "Didn't remember I've got a compass app... let's try it". But the compass was going crazy. "What's wrong with it?".

And five seconds later, "ouch!" <- put a Homer Simpson Ouch Pic here.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mced View Post
A silly one: I was checking my installed apps, when I said to myself "Didn't remember I've got a compass app... let's try it". But the compass was going crazy. "What's wrong with it?".

And five seconds later, "ouch!" <- put a Homer Simpson Ouch Pic here.
Actually, the compass shouldn't be affected by the magnets in the TOH really
"now what's this bull**** he's saying? Sure a strong magnet kills nearby compassies?" you might think, but there is a simple explanation;

The compass in a smartphone does not detect static magnetic fields; instead, it detects a variance of a moving magnetic field. The TOH-connected magnets are stationary in respect to the hall-sensor-device in the phone, and such cause no signal to the compass. The external weaker magnetic field of earth changes over the sensor when you move the device and such is the only thing detected...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd