Notices

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by yourthe guy View Post
Yes i have done all that you have said but it still does not give me the option to install, i've tried searching for sygic, mobilemapssetup.deb and it still don't find them.
I don't think i'm doing any thing wrong but something seems to be missing??
This will be my last post for a couple of weeks as i'm of to the USA where as you can see without a working sat nav i'm going to get lost, haho thanks to all that have tried to help.
Cheers Simon.
Simon, this thread is intended for question about modifying the application. Can i suggest you have a read, and post if required, your problem on the Sygic problems thread Click here. You may find someone on that thread wh has had the same issues.
Thanks
John

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
i'm having a problem, which I think is a bug:
when i try to route more than about 50km, i got an error message saying that the waypoints are too far from each other. this renders the software totally useless for me. is thered anything I can do ? thanks

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by dogward View Post
i'm having a problem, which I think is a bug:
when i try to route more than about 50km, i got an error message saying that the waypoints are too far from each other. this renders the software totally useless for me. is thered anything I can do ? thanks
dogward,
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
this thread is intended for question about modifying the application. Can i suggest you have a read, and post if required, your problem on the Sygic problems thread Click here. You may find someone on that thread wh has had the same issues.
Thanks
John

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Another POI of interest in the USA...

...a list of all the places that were visited on the Food Network show called "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives." Each of these places looks great and should be worthy of a visit. Here is the link to the show http://www.foodnetwork.com
Combined with..

...a list of all 105 places that were visited on the Travel Channel's show called 101 Tastiest Places to Chowdown. #1 was Louis' Lunch in New Haven, Connecticut (the first restaurant to serve hamburgers).

Details: The five week, Season I of the show began on January 3, 2010 with Chowdown Countdown 101-81. New countdowns appear each Sunday, with Chowdown Countdown 20-1 aired on January 31, 2010. #1 was Louis' Lunch in New Haven, Connecticut (the first restaurant to serve hamburgers). #2 was Roscoe's House of Chicken' N Waffles in Los Angeles. #3 was Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh. (Sandwiches contain coleslaw, tomato, and fresh-cut fries).

The address information in this POI was obtained from the Travel Guides listed at Chowdown Countdown Episodes Travel Guides http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows
For a grand total of 406 of the greasiest, artery clogging, heart attack provoking, and most delicious points of interest in the USA.

Unzip the attached archive, install the files as descriped in the included "Read Me", and enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Drive-Ins & Dives.zip (22.0 KB, 186 views)

SLN member # 009

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Hi all!

how can i change the actual speed size. It is to small!
Another question is how can i change the line assistant color?
because when i am on motorway and sygic show me which line is the correct one i cant see the different. The correct one is light green. how can i change to red?

Somebody know something about the traffic app in europe

Thanks

Last edited by gregtoth85; 2010-04-05 at 19:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregtoth85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by gregtoth85 View Post
Somebody know something about the traffic app in europe
Traffic notifications will come in Sygic Mobile Maps 10, to which you can update without to pay again, when it's ready..

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Good news about the traffic notifications

Also, regarding this
>>>
Another question is how can i change the line assistant color?
<<<

I would also like to know where this can be tweaked as the light green is not that easy to spot when driving.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
And that is all it needs to do. This I believe is the limit of whatever pre-fetch it uses. It loads just what it needs to give you a quick response when navigating to a "POI near me"

...and Laughing Man I'm sorry if I appeared snippy. The "R" word does that to me sometimes. Having a younger sibling that has been called that most of his life, for most of my life I have volunteered my free time to his community of friends and others who provide support. Again, I apologize for being overly sensitive.

BTW the file I provided has 2455 locations included in it.

If you load it in your local directory when you go to "Browse Map" point to say LA, hit the menu button (between "Options" and "Done") then select "Find Nearby POI", then select "Cams", It will find cams in LA. If you find yourself on the road in LA I'm pretty sure the cams will show up. They have for me when I am outside my home area in DC or NYC.

Could you share the methods you used to convert a "file found on the net" to a useful Sygic POI? I have been working on and off for two weeks now trying to find all the idiosyncrasies of a Sygic POI file in order to post a "How to". Maybe you found an easier way.
I'm sorry too. I tend not to associate ******ed with its usage towards those with physical or mental disabilities (I've worked with quite a few children with mental illnesses when I was an undergrad in Psychology). So I forgot that term could be interpreted in a different way. I meant the usage of a word as in it seems redundant and pointless if I had to put the UPI file in every state and district (say VA, DC, and MD).

So are you saying that if I place the speed camera UPI file in say UMD (for Maryland) if I'm in Virginia I can still get the speed cameras in VA without having to place the speed camera UPI file in UVA (for Virginia)?

As for POI, I've been trying to use the POI converter (http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/do...convertor.html) though I haven't gotten it to work with the files from POI Factory, though that may be because.

a) I'm running Sygic's POI converter program (Windows only) through Wine in Ubuntu. If this is the case I have to use the software in Windows (I'm trying this tonight)

b) The CVS files provided by POI Factory aren't in the right order. I'll have to compare it with the way yours is laid out to see if I need to re-order the contents of the file.

BTW POI Factory is a great community with lots of useful POI files, for example there's one just for Starbucks in the USA if people are Starbucks addicted, likewise there's a great one for speed cameras and red light cameras (the later two require you to be an active member, e.g. 3 weeks of at least one post a week).

Edit: It seems the problem with the POI converter program is it needs the files to be in Sygic's example format. So basically tabs instead of comma deliminations.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-04-06 at 23:23.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I'm sorry too. I tend not to associate ******ed with its usage towards those with physical or mental disabilities (I've worked with quite a few children with mental illnesses when I was an undergrad in Psychology). So I forgot that term could be interpreted in a different way. I meant the usage of a word as in it seems redundant and pointless if I had to put the UPI file in every state and district (say VA, DC, and MD).

So are you saying that if I place the speed camera UPI file in say UMD (for Maryland) if I'm in Virginia I can still get the speed cameras in VA without having to place the speed camera UPI file in UVA (for Virginia)?

As for POI, I've been trying to use the POI converter (http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/do...convertor.html) though I haven't gotten it to work with the files from POI Factory, though that may be because.

a) I'm running Sygic's POI converter program (Windows only) through Wine in Ubuntu. If this is the case I have to use the software in Windows (I'm trying this tonight)

b) The CVS files provided by POI Factory aren't in the right order. I'll have to compare it with the way yours is laid out to see if I need to re-order the contents of the file.

BTW POI Factory is a great community with lots of useful POI files, for example there's one just for Starbucks in the USA if people are Starbucks addicted, likewise there's a great one for speed cameras and red light cameras (the later two require you to be an active member, e.g. 3 weeks of at least one post a week).

Edit: It seems the problem with the POI converter program is it needs the files to be in Sygic's example format. So basically tabs instead of comma deliminations.

Yup, Sygic is real particular that way. If there are characters it doesn't like like in the descriptor,
Code:
 ;  (  )
(like those< to name a few), the program crashes as soon as you attempt to search the category. If you don't do a search, things will work fine until one of those poi"s comes into range. Then crash.

I found it best to download Poi's found on the net in OV2 (TomTom) format. then I use a simple freeware converter to change them to UPI format. However this UPI format still can not be read by our Sygic correctly. The fix is simple though.

Use the Sygic POI converter that you pointed to and first change this older UPI format file to a Unicode text file, then use the Sygic POI converter to convert this new text file into a UPI POI and our Sygic will now load and use them just dandy...

I know it sounds re... er, mentally challenged but this two step process cleans up the descriptors and what not.

BTW, thanks for the heads-up PM dude. Send or post up that cam file if it is the one that has 3400 cams in it and I'll clean it up for you to post. That seems to be the most up to date.

All others please hang in there I will have a post up shortly (2 to 3 days) with pictures, circles, arrows, and everything included hosted downloads of the tools I found useful...

As tempting as it may seem at the time, like when cooking good rice, do not lift the lid until it's done. That is, do not open the text file with a Windows text editor before you reconvert it to a useful UPI POI. As this will add some of those characters that our Sygic is particular about.

Also, when making that final pass, Sygic POI converter will ask for an icon. Whatever you name this icon then, must remain the name of it when you place it in the "Res/icons" directory or it won't show up. Even if you later change the name of the POI itself, leave the name of this icon the same because its description and location are now coded into the UPI file. You can however, always choose one of the pre-configured icons once you load the POI file on to the device.

Another thing I found... If the name of your POI has a dash in it like "Before-After", the dash and all the characters following the dash will not show up in the POI field on the device. The POI will still work but the name of it reported by the device will simply read "Before"

...and another thing

Regardless of what the Sygic POI converter says. Our Sygic will only read icons rendered in 8 bit. I found that 45 x 45 is the best size for them as the 27 x 27 the help file states will show up at only about 60% of the size of other POI icons.
Attached Images

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-04-07 at 01:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Anyone get anywhere with increasing the volume on this. I know the N900 can go way louder