Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Foremski/?p=1...g=wrapper;col1

Interesting read.
And badly spelt

The Following User Says Thank You to andyfrommk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Will I buy one? Oops I spoke way too soon.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

The final straw for me is this
"It's Not Widescreen
Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!"

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Unfortunately, for all the carping, it will probably sell more in preorders than the N900 sells in its entire production run.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Don't be daft, it's where Nokia are still big - they've lost ground everywhere else.
You're the DAFT one here - read the forecast, Symbian is to remain on top thanks to Nokia's strength in emerging markets. I don't really know what you're on about. Nokia still rules in Brazil, Russia, India and China; even in the UK, Nokias 5800XM is the top selling smartphone of 2009. You need to take a trip to the '3rd world' to see how much change Nokia phones makes to the lifes of people. Its not all about profits.

SHAME on you for being such a stuck up snob.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Of course you can do that over the web, but I was thinking more of a tailor made application for the iPad with it's high resolution display. Sure, peering at a 3.5" screen loading web pages will work too, but maybe not as nice.
Why not use a website on a higher resolution laptop ?
A netbook is a lot cheaper... if you're sitting at home, your computer, phone and netbook will all have access to wifi.

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
i was putting apps on my n95 before they had even heard the word 'apps'
I remeber putting 'apps' on my sony ericsson p800. That phone was kickass.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The release is still 60 days away.

Just watch all the deals they will announce leading up to it. I wouldn't be surprised if OS4.0 makes an appearance by then, filling in a few missing features on the iPad.. (multitasking?)

They'll bring the bookstore and magazine subscriptions and all kinds of conventional print media to it...
Rupert Murdoch will be happy. He's been trying to get his Times website as a pay per article and been bashing the BBC saying it won't allow them to do that as all BBC content is free (and some would argue better quality as well)...

Last edited by Thor; 2010-01-27 at 23:27.

Originally Posted by adamFsmith View Post
I'm no Wordsworth, and i'd need to be to truly express my disappointment with the iPad. It seems to be to the iPhone what the DSi was to the DS - a lazy upgrade.
I'm very impressed by the iPad. Not too much of the Hardware itself, but the posiibilities that the software shows up. This could be the start to way better Netbooks!
Finally intuitive Touch-UIs on a device that can replace a PC. Finally no applications showing files/folders to the user.
This could be the start to Home-PC 2.0!

I would really like to see Maemo pushing torwards this direction!

Devices like the iPad could catch a big peace of the PC market, that was so far occupied by MS.

Android will surely go this direction (too).

And Nokia should be able to deliver a Maemo based iPad that is really cool - even better than iPad!

This has been an very interesting thread to follow, so far. I agree with what has been said about the iPad as far as it being a larger form factor iPod touch. Yes, that's what it is, folks. Apple's particular strength is in the UI and the overall user experience. The device will be incredibly easy to use (with a very attractive interface) and is perfect for the target audience. I am thinking that they will sell a healthy amount of these. It's evolutionary from the iPhone and iPod touch and builds on the familiarity that users have with both. Plus, it opens up new ways for Apple to leverage the already successful iTunes and App Store. Also, there are 100+ million iTunes users of whom probably a significant amount will see this as a nice device to have under the Christmas tree...

I don't see myself purchasing an iPad, but that's mostly because I don't like the walled-garden approach that Apple currently has for gaining and providing content (I am happy that they are using Epub, for example, but it looks like they may have their own proprietary DRM).. Perhaps if it was more open, then I would consider getting the cheapest model.

I do believe that Nokia, with the right focus and attention to detail, could really make the N series devices quite amazing, as well. So far, I have to say that the N900 MicroB browser is truly excellent and really matches Safari on the iPhone. It's still let down by flash (I really hope that 10.1 will be a big improvement), but at least it has flash .

I'm just kinda sad that the rest of the N900 is so uninspiring. I keep using it for browsing, but my main communication device is still my Android phone. I'm hoping that things will improve, but, if not, the competition is not standing still and the good thing is that there are other options .

I hope Nokia really appreciates the folks who created the browser on the N900. It's truly the best thing about it and the only reason I didn't return it.

Now, I would like to see Nokia put this same level of excellence into the rest of the features (phone, email, messaging, etc.) and then it would really be something!

Oh, and I would also like to be able to upgrade the N900 to Maemo6 if that excellence will only be applied there...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karmicguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gusch5 View Post
I'm very impressed by the iPad. Not too much of the Hardware itself, but the posiibilities that the software shows up. This could be the start to way better Netbooks!
Finally intuitive Touch-UIs on a device that can replace a PC. Finally no applications showing files/folders to the user.
This could be the start to Home-PC 2.0!

I would really like to see Maemo pushing torwards this direction!

Devices like the iPad could catch a big peace of the PC market, that was so far occupied by MS.

Android will surely go this direction (too).

And Nokia should be able to deliver a Maemo based iPad that is really cool - even better than iPad!
Can I get a "No Thank You" button? I really don't want home PCs going all touchscreen and not being able to see the file system etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet