Notices

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Just installed the latest version and some great updates - but there are also two things that i think goes completely against what I perceived as the 'philosophy' of flipclock: Having buttons named 'Setup' and 'Alarms' on the main clock display.

The 'Setup' button is rather distracting where it is at at the upper left corner and way to prominent.

When I wrote 'philosophy' of flipclock I meant that it seemed like much was done to keep a very clean appearance and a very subtle UI. These buttons, to me, ruin much of the clock display's simple and clean look.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
I see your logic. But I don't think we should have to listen to an alarm or music for 60 seconds to get full brightness. Therefore I suggest that when the alarm goes "off" the sound and music slowooooly increase over a 60 second period. However, if we hit the "alarm off" after just a few seconds the display will 1) change to the "Day" display and 2) increase to full brightness.
Indeed, indeed. I concur. I would further suggest that if the snooze button is tapped, the display remains in the "night" display, and returns to fully dimmed.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Just installed the latest version and some great updates - but there are also two things that i think goes completely against what I perceived as the 'philosophy' of flipclock: Having buttons named 'Setup' and 'Alarms' on the main clock display.

The 'Setup' button is rather distracting where it is at at the upper left corner and way to prominent.

When I wrote 'philosophy' of flipclock I meant that it seemed like much was done to keep a very clean appearance and a very subtle UI. These buttons, to me, ruin much of the clock display's simple and clean look.
Please read post #142, Jolouis is already making that change.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Okay lots to deal with but let me address a few things quickly first...

Sampieter, I've tried both VBR and CBR mp3s on flip here and all seem to be working just fine. Perhaps it does have something to do with the ID3 version but I have no idea why that would be the case. Can anyone else try some VBR mp3s and see if they can find one/ones that don't work please! If you can find one that doesn't work that's fairly short and.. you know... redistributable without violating laws... let me know so that I can grab a copy of it and do some debugging/testing here with it, as I have not yet been able to find one myself that doesn't work...

In regards to other points:
Dimming issues.

The problem here is that the advanced backlight app is cheating. Flip now implements the same brightness features and control of advanced backlight internally, so you don't need to have it installed in order to set lower brightness levels. However, if you do have it installed, Advanced backlight uses it's own gconf settings to override the built in ones... Flip currently reads the built in settings, so that's why when you change your setup with advanced backlight and then go into Flip it seems to act strangely. I will try to update Flip to accomodate advanced backlight, but the point remains that you don't NEED advanced backlight installed in order to get uber low brightness... that's why I rebuilt the Insomniac mode a while ago.

flipAlarmSync clear clear clear
That is the correct command that is installed into /usr/sbin... if it's not there, then you have a problem with the installation. I have confirmed that this is the correct command on two fresh installs on different tablets, so the packaging is putting it there properly, not sure why you're having problems with it but check that path to make sure it exists...

why not use this seconds bar as a divider between the clock area (top) and the buttons area(bottom)? A seconds bar might look very natural in between the clock and the buttons. I suspect that the overall look will be cleaner and less cluttered.
Interesting idea, hadn't even crossed my mind... I'll try moving it and see what it looks like. I've also fixed the "pixel off" problems with the alarm time button when I implemented the updated settings and alarm controls as described previously.

'release time'..... How much time do I have for my theme?
lol a while yet don't worry! I still have to finish the tweaks, fix up the default night theme, try and optimize things a bit more, fix some bugs... and THEN build the theme manager/selector as well as the help/about screens... so there's a ways to go yet!

Also, on the horizontal swiping, I was trying it out to see what it felt like and I often triggered an up/down swipe by mistake. Maybe the number of pixels needed to trigger up/down needs to be increased?
Jim, thanks for confirming that... I upped the values yesterday when I implemented the horizontal swipes for theme changing as I found it was WAAAY to sensitive on the vertical; it should be much better in the next beta.

At 4:30am my mind is not yet functioning enough to remember to hit the display either one or two times. A big "Alarm Off" or "Snooze" button is what my mind responds to.
I'm in agreement with Den on this one... that being said, if you prefer single tap/double tap for snoozing/alarm off... you can tweak the theme or make your own theme that implements that very easily ;-) Once we get to Release 1.0 bring this question up again and I'll point out how to do it (and how to make a theme so you can share it with others!).

I would like to see the display automatically change to the "Night" display at 6pm, then have it automatically change back to the "Day" display at 6am.
I had the same thought last night! This may or may not make Release 1.0 but my idea would be to have two settings on the clock controls page... "auto day time" and "auto night time", that would determine when the clock automatically changes themes. Perhaps even a tie in/option for doing it based on your location/etc though that's a bit of overkill I think...

Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Shangri-la Oregon
"I had the same thought last night! This may or may not make Release 1.0 but my idea would be to have two settings on the clock controls page... "auto day time" and "auto night time", that would determine when the clock automatically changes themes. Perhaps even a tie in/option for doing it based on your location/etc though that's a bit of overkill I think..."

And a setting for which theme is your day theme and which is your night theme.

Will it be possible with themes to change the AM/PM alarm settings? I can't think of a use case where I would want PM alarms, or at least verrrry rarely!

Thanks again for you prompt and flexible design changes.

Jim

my idea would be to have two settings on the clock controls page... "auto day time" and "auto night time", that would determine when the clock automatically changes themes.
why not use the light sensor: if it's dark in
the environment go to night mode and dim
display; otherwise not

Originally Posted by albright View Post
why not use the light sensor: if it's dark in
the environment go to night mode and dim
display; otherwise not
Of course, this would only work on N810s , not N800s.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Of course, this would only work on N810s , not N800s.
but but but N800's have the fm radio that the N810 lacks!

Originally Posted by sampieter View Post
but but but N800's have the fm radio that the N810 lacks!
Oh, I forgot about the radio! I think I will listen to it now!

Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
Indeed, indeed. I concur. I would further suggest that if the snooze button is tapped, the display remains in the "night" display, and returns to fully dimmed.
absolutely! If we are trying to get a few more minutes of sleep, we certainly want the display dimmed. Once I hit the “Alarm Off” button, I want the display to be bright enough to light my way to the bathroom.

Last edited by Den in USA; 2009-11-15 at 04:36.