Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
if this happens i havent really been able to find a fix.

if someone screws up with the install of apps from extra-devel how do you clear them out?????? some dont let you uninstall and if you do it seems like the space is still taken up.

what do i type in terminal to see whats in there.
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get remove [package name]
To get a list of every package installed, type:
Code:
dpkg -l
To search for a package name by pattern, let say bounce
Code:
Nokia-N900-42-11:~# dpkg -l bou*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                   Version                                Description
+++-===========================================================================-===========================================================================================
ii  bounce                                 1.0.0                                  Playable 3D technology demo for N900
to uninstall

Code:
apt-get remove bounce
You can now go on and remove application packages to free up space.

NOTE: Exercise CAUTION when working with root access.

are you saying if we use application manager to remove bounce it doesn't clean up all the bounce library to free up the space?

Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
are you saying if we use application manager to remove bounce it doesn't clean up all the bounce library to free up the space?
No he isn't

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by mehdiE View Post
After having installed another 14 apps (including a handful from testing this time), I'm now at 78% full. So my entirely unscientific observation leads me to think that the fill up rate is pretty constant and that, in practice, it'd be very quick and easy to fill up the device. I don't really have the time to prove this right and find the culprit at the moment though
Again, this is due to a bug that has been addressed. If you reboot, you should see more space. I have close to 25 apps and my disk is stil at 79%.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
Or that apt stores the full debs inside /var/cache/apt/archives/ and only periodically is that cleaned. This resides on / so users installing lots of apps will regardless of package being optified, find they will kill free space quickly.
Wonder if its possible to symlink the /var/cache/apt dir to /home/opt.

Not 100% sure what the ramifications would be.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
the symlinking works, why wouldn't it.... .)

(previous text here was already discussed here, as I found by search )

Last edited by andree; 2009-12-03 at 23:31.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Wonder if its possible to symlink the /var/cache/apt dir to /home/opt.

Not 100% sure what the ramifications would be.
I've done something pretty much like this just now, and found this thread as a place to put my report..

In fact I went a little further, after investigating where space on my rootfs was being used, I created a /home/reclaim directory and started shunting over some of the bigger items from rootfs and symlinking back. I did this over an ssh connection from where the typing is a bit easier

Here's the result, shown as a couple of du commands. All the dirs like /home/reclaim/blah/blah/blah are symlinked to from the original location. Everything else under /usr/ and /var/ is untouched..

# du -s /home/reclaim/
73116 /home/reclaim

# du -s /home/reclaim/*/*/*
8 /home/reclaim/usr/local/bin
4 /home/reclaim/usr/local/games
4 /home/reclaim/usr/local/include
12 /home/reclaim/usr/local/lib
0 /home/reclaim/usr/local/man
4 /home/reclaim/usr/local/sbin
8 /home/reclaim/usr/local/share
4 /home/reclaim/usr/local/src
27088 /home/reclaim/usr/share/icons
2180 /home/reclaim/usr/share/mc
12204 /home/reclaim/usr/share/nokia-maps
2120 /home/reclaim/var/cache/apt
3060 /home/reclaim/var/lib/apt
26392 /home/reclaim/var/lib/dpkg
(/usr/local is not used right now and just there as a placeholder.)

As you can see from the first du command, I've reclaimed around 70M of rootfs in this way.

To test this setup I've rebooted, and checked that I can install an application via the app manager, and that's all. If I find any problems (I'm not really expecting to, but ... ) I'll report back in this thread.

I still have:

# du -s /usr/share
70108 /usr/share
which seems like it might be a waste! I'm tempted to try moving the entirety of it over to /home, but I'll stop where I am for now. Information about the viability or otherwise of this is very welcome

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
hello,

i got my n900 over two weeks ago and i love it. thing is i too have gotten the no more memory error and recently i flashed the EMMC and firmware to get a "new" device again. thing i want to know is this, any other phone i've used,(5800, iphone,) had a set amount of memory. with the 5800 i could add memory card and use almost all of it for apps and whatever else i wanted. with the iphone if it's a 16gb i had 14gb for anything including apps music videos whatever. what i want to know is if the n900 has 32gb (actually 28gb) then why can't we use 28gb for apps music videos etc.

probably stupid question but i dont understand how a great device can be having these issues with all that "free memory" available. instead they should pitch it as "n900 less than 230mb for apps, all other memory for music and videos." sorry for venting but i love this device and our love keeps growing but this feels like a prehistoric issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bguzmanz2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
hi @all

i agree with buguzmanz2 this Problem seems old like back in the Days when i tried to optimize DOS Boot Disks up too 610kb. But however if you take a first look for the n900 in the internet like 99 Percent of the Users do they see a bunch of damn pretty videos with canola2, gaim, and also the amazing emulators with wii control etc.

if they buy the n900 then they surely want to use the apps that they have seen in the videos before. Then they come to this Forum after they figured out ahh extra devel or reading about the red pill in the several Blogs.

You cant tell them hey dont use this Apps, couse all Reviews and Test Videos are showing them up. Iam sure there must be a solution for this Problem. And i hope we can find it soon.

best regards Crown77

The Following User Says Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post:
kwotski, thanks for your report!

Just have my device for two weeks and installed only a few apps. Anyway, my rootfs ist at 98%.

Someone tried to link the whole /usr/share to /home?