Notices

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by CRCulver View Post
Map downloading for offline use isn't working for me. Sure, I can grab tiles when I have a network connection. However, if I close Modrana, turn the network connection off, and open Modrana again, it show only a "Downloading failed" message for each tile instead of the actual tile. If I look at MyDocs/.maps/, the tiles are there, it's just that Modrana won't actually display them.
Confirmed v 0.50.5

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I would like to eventually add OSM based local/POI search, but it will be quite a bit more complicated than using the simple Google API - but also much more powerful! It would probably work fine with a preset list containing relevant tags for search, but free form search would be most probably limited to advanced users knowing how the OSM tags work, given how the OSM data is structured.

As for the other search options, address search is using Nominatim (so it is based on OSM data) and Wikipedia search goes over Geonames.
I'm very familiar with osm, and the tags. I also know nominatim and the osm api xapi and overpass api. So i will be glad to help in defining a preset list or any other task

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Confirmed v 0.50.5
Weird - does this happen for all layers or only specific ones ? Maybe also try to enable everything in Options->Debug->Tiles and then look to the log if it has something relevant.

Originally Posted by gianko View Post
I'm very familiar with osm, and the tags. I also know nominatim and the osm api xapi and overpass api. So i will be glad to help in defining a preset list or any other task
Sure, that would be nice!

I've dumped the current search presets to a wiki article as JSON:
Mapping OSM tags to modRana search preset

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on both how to incorporate OSM tag search to this format & any actual tag combos!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
modRana 0.50.1 has been released!

The main addition is support for track logging in the Qt 5 GUI, accessible from the main menu with Tracks->Record.
The track recording page is not yet as full featured as in the GTK GUI, but still perfectly usable.

Also on when recording a track on on Sailfish OS modRana makes sure to enable keep alive, so that recording can continue even when the screen is turned off and the device would normally enter deep sleep. I have not tested this extensively though, so feedback if this works for you or not is welcome!

BTW, this is track recording only, tracklog display and management is not yet available in the Qt 5 GUI, but definitely planed.

Changelog
Code:
* Sun Jan 25 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.51.1
 - add track logging support to the Qt 5 GUI
  - accessible from Tracks->Record
  - output to the GPX format
  - path to the tracklogs folder is shown
   - option to symlink the tracklogs folder to ~/Documents on Sailfish OS
  - robust dual temp file storage mechanism
  - tracklog are restored on next start if shutdown or crash occurs during logging
  - it is possible to pause started logging
  - proper landscape and protrait orientation layouts
  - keep alive support on Sailfish OS
   - this should assure uninterrupted track recording even with screen turned off
 - make track logging Python 3 compatible
 - improved track logging log messages
 - fix free space dispplay on Android
 - QML -> Python logging now should be able to handle any QML/Javascript objects

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
modRana 0.50.1 has been released!
Code:
* Sun Jan 25 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.51.1
I think you mean 0.51.1 (and not 0.50.1). Although at extras-devel I see as the latest version 0.50.5 (yes, N900 is old...).

But I am here to make a bugreport - 0.50.4->0.50.5 on N900 (both default and QML) has a regression - I have 2GB of tiles cached in sqlite but since 0.50.5 I do not see any tiles displayed. I haven't tried to download new tiles so that I do not corrupt my existing sqlite db. BTW thanks for all the releases.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jankratochvil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jankratochvil View Post
But I am here to make a bugreport - 0.50.4->0.50.5 on N900 (both default and QML) has a regression - I have 2GB of tiles cached in sqlite but since 0.50.5 I do not see any tiles displayed. I haven't tried to download new tiles so that I do not corrupt my existing sqlite db. BTW thanks for all the releases.
See this and linked posts therein.

I will belatedly do as MartinK suggests and see if I can get a log or further info.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Right. Modrana 0.50.5 n900 CSSU-thumb kp53

Seems that with no active internet connection, no map will display, despite the previous session having downloaded and displayed the tile. Cache set higher than default 150 MB.

As others have noted, the tiles clearly get downloaded, because one sees them displayed in the session with an active internet connection. It appears to be the case with any of the map sources (note, I tested a few not all). I am using sqlite storage.

Log attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip modrana_log.zip (4.0 KB, 61 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
I upgraded today to V0.51.1 git:modrana-0.50.5-51-g606845d, newly pushed to the Maemo repos, but the problem with no downloaded tiles displaying without a network connection remains.

Furthermore, why are there still icons on the N900 for both Modrana and Modrana QML, if the QML version has been abandoned and clicking on that icon just opens the plain GTK version?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CRCulver For This Useful Post:
I upgraded today to V0.51.1 git:modrana-0.50.5-51-g606845d, newly pushed to the Maemo repos, but the problem with no downloaded tiles displaying without a network connection remains.
Turns out I've kinda totally broke tile loading from local storage in (at least :P) 0.51.1. When fixing this I've also found some other issues:
  • if layer type/extension changes, old stored map tiles became inaccessible
    • Example: extension was jpg before and is png now, modRana searches for png and ignores jpg
    • this probably happened for users of the MapQuest EU layer when it's extension was recently changed to improve compatibility with PoorMaps on Sailfish OS & to respect the actual file format of the tiles
  • no checking if the stuff modRana finds is actually an image
  • no attempt to find an alternative image file for the given tile coordinates if the first tried one turns out to either not exist or is not an image
So when I was at it I fixed all these issues listed above and made tile loading from local storage much more robust.

ModRana now checks all loaded tiles and logs if they are not images, tile loading is now extension independent. ModRana now even goes so far as to iterate over all other available tile files for the given tile coordinates if the primary coordinate is not found. This effectively means you can now have tile images named like this:

Code:
4/6/10.png
4/6/10.jpg
4/6/10.this_is_an_image
Where 10.png is not an image (html error page, 0 bytes, etc.) and 10.jpg is a png image and 10.this_is_an_image is a gif.

Lets say that the layer uses png by default, so modRana will try 10.png first, finds it is not an image so it tries other files with the 4/6/10 coordinates and returns the content of either 10.jpg or 10.this_is_an_image as both contain image data in a supported format.

modRana 0.51.2 has been released!
I've also released a new modRana containing all these fixes and improvements. Looking forward to your feedback!

Changelog
Code:
* Mon Jan 26 2015 Martin Kolman - 0.51.2
- fix tile loading from local storage
 - I've apparently managed to break it in the previous version :P
- make tile loading from local storage more robust
 - it is now file extension independent
  - modRana will fetch any suitable image for the given tile coordinates
  - this should prevent stored images from becoming inaccessible it layer extension changes
 - modRana now detects if the tile that has been loaded is not an image
  - all such cases are now logged
  - for files modRana tries to find another file with the same coordinates that is an image
- improved log messages for tile loading debugging
Furthermore, why are there still icons on the N900 for both Modrana and Modrana QML, if the QML version has been abandoned and clicking on that icon just opens the plain GTK version?
Well, it should still work - I've just kinda not checked if it does in ages. ;-)

Yeah, it would be good to do something about it. One option is to just remove it, which would also get rid of all the Qt dependencies modRana currently drags in. Another possibility would be to make it into a subpackage that is not installed by default. BTW, any idea is anyone is still using the QML/Qt 4 GUI ?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Hell no let the qml be there as is maybe a couple of fixes its so slick ! Add more tiles or tell us how to add more ;

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps