Poll: Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?
Poll Options
Would you be willing to donate to Maemo?

Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
only n900. But this work can potentially help others who wish to port to other devices, as there will be less closed components left.
I think exclusive n900 approach leads to fragmentation.

I would prefer to see action plan for n8x0 as well. The majority of applications are not that CPU/resource intensive.

I think the applications can be grouped in following categories:
  1. applications requiring little or no changes (basically rebuild of the package, which can include backporting of dependencies to diablo).
  2. applications that require additional implementation due to difference in architecture between diablo and fremantle.
  3. completely impossible to port(e.g. OpenGL based).

BTW: anybody brave enough to provide updated browser?

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-09-12 at 14:30.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
onethreealpha, daneel, if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. If you feel this strongly against abill (and I don't blame you), then please use the ignore feature and stop being part of the problem.
----

Abill, this is TALK.maemo.org. If you're not satisfied, i recoomend you take your business elsewhere, say action.maemo.org. It's high time you made a valuable contribution to the community.
ejasmudar, personally, I feel this should be interpreted as a wake up call!

I've posted and started a few threads on 3G video call and Ovi map voice navigation and I've also only just seen talk and talk and talk until today. It's not about being dissatisfied (or ungrateful), but trying to point out a different perspective. It's our determination to have a better N900 experience that keeps us coming back.

if you dont have devs involved, then how do you know what is possible for x cash ?

you just gonna throw money at the problem ?

who is gonna admin the big cash pool ? what if ppl become unhappy with direction of dev efforts and want their money back ? who will have to do the effort to deal with the aggro that will inevitably occur ?

good luck while i eat my popcorn

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
ironm8, all good ideas, but IMO, we can go there at a more advanced stage.

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
I think exclusive n900 approach leads to fragmentation.
I would prefer to see action plan for n8x0 as well. The majority of applications are not that CPU/resource intensive.
momcilo, Hmm, you're right. We should probably include the other N8xx and N7xx devices along with this. But I have zero experience with this device and somebody else will have pipe up about it.

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I've posted and started a few threads on 3G video call and Ovi map voice navigation and I've also only just seen talk and talk and talk until today
Dude, i really hope you're joking. TMO is the most active place on the net that I have seen where developers interact more-or-less closely with their users. Even more than XDA-dev IMO.
See some examples of great user-developer interactions here.
Even inspite of the fact that it is completely closed-source, some work toward voice guidance in OVI maps is going on here.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
if you dont have devs involved, then how do you know what is possible for x cash ?
you just gonna throw money at the problem ?
who is gonna admin the big cash pool ? what if ppl become unhappy with direction of dev efforts and want their money back ? who will have to do the effort to deal with the aggro that will inevitably occur ?
good luck while i eat my popcorn
Frappacino, First of all: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Secondly, you got a better idea?

Thirdly, this is a Donation. Not a payment. Ever heard anybody asking for their donations back?
The only time I foresee such a problem occurring is when we have set up a bounty and nobody claims it even after long time. Then we can just repay it back to the donors (lists will be maintained) minus the payapal/other fees ofcourse.

Fourthly, there are many here willing to work for maemo and to deal with any and all "aggro" arising from it. If not many, at least I am.

Finally, enjoy your popcorn but remember: too much popcorn can kill you.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Last edited by ejasmudar; 2011-09-12 at 18:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
a good idea to start will be to bring here or a IRC channel a few good devs from the community so we could bounce ideas off them. See what is doable and what is fantasy.

The Following User Says Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
While I know great ideas exist in this community, this thread showcases how getting an unanimous decision on which path to go down will be nigh impossible to implement.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
consensus isn't needed. Just an option to donate for feature you would like developed. Big, all-encompassing ideas could quite likely attract few donations, whereas specific, feasible, achievable concepts may acquire enough financial leverage to gain actuality.

No harm talking about it, anyway.

Think of it kinda like apps for iphone but the financial side is done in reverse.

Could be revolutionary!

Being linux, as i understand it, a lot of nice features could just be ported? so a $100-$200 feature may well be attractive for some programmer to work on.

Just have a webpage which states requirements of feature, people can donate what they think it is worth (maybe a percentage gets taxed for some good maemo development related purpose (upkeep of donation site or whatever, maybe giveaways or contests for good maemo coding or something)). If project still hasnt happened after so many months you can get your money back (minus tax) or transfer it to different project...

(so, donations are pooled until there is enough incentive for developer/s to provide feature, when they produce and submit code that satisfies feature requirements then they get the pool of money. Mechanics need working out.
Also, anyone should be able to write and submit a feature request, maybe there are 4-5 requests that are similar, that's ok, the poorly written/defined/advertised requests won't attract the same level of donations... maybe have some mechanic for merging requests..).

dunno, just ideas...

(personally i would like to donate, maybe up to $32, towards the design and release of instructions for a home-made n900 serial flash device, I would quite possibly pay again for a nicely built finished product!)

[edit] reading this thread a bit more, and gleaning hints about the implications of the closed source parts of maemo (i don't know much at all) maybe a better direction would be getting meego to run in symbiosis with maemo, ie inside a virtual machine with calls to camera, phone function etc.
...more crazy ideas... *sits down and shuts up for a bit*

Last edited by quokka; 2011-09-12 at 20:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to quokka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
I suggest as a good and credible start to *donate* the authors of apps people are using today a small amount of money (whatever the value of the app for them is....). E.g. I did recently for "fahrplan".

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Utah, America
It depends.

Will it be run by an independant group that has absolute control over it & is run by people who want to keep OS's open source AND can churn out a product in less than a year?

Then in that case yes, otherwise forget about it.

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
I'm willing to add a piss load more if we can get it running on other hardware!

I did get a Maemo chroot running on my Galaxy S2 - But for legal reasons I don't want to release it - I'm too pretty to go to jail!

Tags
open-core trap, telethon time