Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Guess I'll have to get a Chevy Volt instead.
Oh no! How can you be so insensitive? Don't you know that Volt is named after Alessandro Volta? Who was Italian! Italy is where ancient Romans lived. Who, as we all know, were evil! By supporting the name Volt, you support hedonistic lifestyle, subjugation of other nations, wholesale destruction of the environment and slavery!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You may not like it as a user but what would you do if you were Google?
Not be an ******* ? ;-)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Oh no! How can you be so insensitive? Don't you know that Volt is named after Alessandro Volta? Who was Italian! Italy is where ancient Romans lived. Who, as we all know, were evil! By supporting the name Volt, you support hedonistic lifestyle, subjugation of other nations, wholesale destruction of the environment and slavery!
Don't worry, I settled on a Monster truck which was named after Cookie Monster. A villan true to gerbick's heart, who stole and ate everyones cookies. Also inventor of cookies that suck up cpu cycles among other things...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
For me the whole Turing phone thing looks like a scam.

Just compare it to other startup - projects in the mobile sector: Take http://www.puzzlephone.com as an example: On their webpage you can easily access information
  • on the team
  • the funding
  • postal adress and other basic information on the company
  • hardware and software partners and supporters...
Things, which are all completely missing on both the turingphone AND the turing robotics company site.

Certainly all of that information does not guarantee that everything works out. Every startup may and will have drawbacks, may not fullfill promises in time or in the worst case, fail to deliver anything and your backed money is gone. But for me konwing those things is essential to judge wheter I am potentially backing a good idea with realistic perspectives, an idea by a naive person who massively underestimates the complexity of his/her project or a pure scam.

I hope that I am proven wrong, but at this stage I think that we won't see a Sailfish based - Turing phone in April or anytime soon - and that bothers me a little - eventough this whole thing is unrelated to Jolla Oy - a product with SFOS which fails to deliver shortly after what happened with the tablet might bring further desastrous publicity on the Sailfish project.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LameDuck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
I think it's really telling here that there has been no companion announcement from Jolla. No blog post, no press release. They've confirmed it when asked, but they're not broadcasting it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I think it's really telling here that there has been no companion announcement from Jolla. No blog post, no press release. They've confirmed it when asked, but they're not broadcasting it.
I'm also wary of pre-ordering a device from Turing, and will probably only buy one once I've seen others have received theirs, but I think it's more telling that Jolla haven't denied a link.

Jolla don't have the best reputation when it comes to communicating in a timely fashion, but I'm sure they'd be quick to refute any link that was false.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Link to that confirmation please?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Link to that confirmation please?
Check the update at the end - Android Police are pretty reliable.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02...-2016-promise/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Clown show continues.

Company that lacks any credibility and some considered an outright scam drops Android at the 11th hour after existing delays, with no consultation of backers, and announces further delay ... chooses Sailfish (Jolla fresh out of bankruptcy protection and with their own catalogue of crowd-funding delivery failures), and Jolla don't comment and have been silent for more than a week now through social media and PR channels. On the latter note, to underline their total failure to engage, they've been at 37.2-37.5K twitter followers for more than a year now.

If this actually releases I'll be amazed.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2016-02-06 at 00:38.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
Check the update at the end - Android Police are pretty reliable.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02...-2016-promise/
I see no confirmation from jolla there?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone