at the top of your kismet.conf file:
Code:
# Kismet config file
# Most of the "static" configs have been moved to here -- the command line
# config was getting way too crowded and cryptic.  We want functionality,
# not continually reading --help!

# Version of Kismet config
version=2007.09.R1

# Name of server (Purely for organizational purposes)
servername=Kismet

# User to setid to (should be your normal user)
suiduser=walts

the line "suiduser=" contains your non-priveleged user
kismet drops the privileges automatically.

I don't have a GPS so I can't help specifically with that, but I did notice that the line in the log,
Code:
Dropped privs to user (29999) gid 29999
is the same in my installation as with yours. I'm not sure what that means, but mine does work (on the N800).

HTH

Walt

The Following User Says Thank You to walts For This Useful Post:
Thanks, but I'm already using the "suiduser=user option". It works find if I disable the GPS, but then it's not very useful for a wardrive. I've attached my kismet.conf file, as it is too long t post.
Attached Files
File Type: txt kismet.txt (15.1 KB, 175 views)

I didn't see anything obvious, but then I've never used GPS with kismet, so I wouldn't know what to look for. Sorry, maybe someone who's used kismet with an N810 could help.

Walt

The Following User Says Thank You to walts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I am hoping that the new fully opensource driver will bring us a new level of kismet compatibility!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
someday. over the rainbow.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by massIV View Post
qwerty12: are you using 2008-05-R1_armel.deb? It seems to work for a few hours and then stops seeing traffic for me. thanks tz1.
I'm using kismet_2008-05-R1_armel.deb - which is the one you seem to be using :/. Have you disabled automatic search for networks etc?

@Irongeek

Make sure you are using kismet_2008-05-R1_armel.deb, that's the one with the GPS fix.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
@qwerty12 that is the one I have, but when I enable the GPS I get the error from above.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Have you disabled automatic search for networks etc?
Yes, I have that disabled. Since then I have seen it go longer than 5 hours. The longest I've seen is around 8. It will always eventually stop picking traffic up and have to be restarted though. Another annoying thing that I've noticed is that if I leave kismet running overnight, with it plugged into the charger, I'll go and check it the next day and my n800 will be off! At first I thought that when it was done charging, it would then run until it ran out of battery, since Im not sure if it will ever start charging again until someone pulls out the cable and sticks it back in. That would be a major charging flaw though, because it would mean you could never leave your n800 on for large amounts of time while plugged in.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I leave my n800 online almost all the time, even overnight, when it remains plugged in, so I don't know why yours turns itself off.

well, I have a feeling its because something happens while Kismet is running. I've found it before completely frozen and the only way to get it to restart was to remove the battery while kismet was running too.