Notices

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
You can always create a SECOND chroot and install fedora's arm version there; they have OpenOffice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
ldrn, that is a good idea. To be honest, however, I haven't used Red Hat for a very long time, and I have no idea how to use yum or anything...

This page looks like the place to start, however. They have a prebuilt root filesystem and everything!

EDIT: The rootfs is only 93MB, I've got over a GB free, I'll set it up and report back. If I can get OpenOffice running on the tablet, it will be almost as good for my ITT street cred as getting Diablo running

EDIT2: Hmm. It seems that Yum kinda sucks compared to apt-get. Seems really slow... Sits there a lot with no feedback...

Last edited by qole; 2008-05-16 at 00:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I don't know much about Yum either, but I know SuSE's zypper was slow, too -- every time you tried to install something it would search all of the repositories again.

Awesome, though! Good luck. If you can pull it off, this would be really incredible.

If you wanna get OOo up, lots of people will be happy to try it; I think few will be satisfied.

As I see it, it'll be as non-integrated as abiword, but will be a lot slower... but, then again, if you need MSO compatibility, I guess you'll deal with MSO bloat.

As for street cred; Yeah, but you gotta pick your own color...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qole View Post
If I can get OpenOffice running on the tablet, it will be almost as good for my ITT street cred as getting Diablo running
Do that and you'll be my god for the years to come

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hooray!

After fighting for an embarrasingly long time with the Fedora chroot (yum refused to say there were any packages in the arm repository for me to install; I finally gave up in defeat), I discovered that I was only an apt-get update; apt-get install openoffice.org away from...

ON-TOPIC: Notice that OpenOffice Writer doesn't really do any better at importing my doc than AbiWord...

Last edited by qole; 2008-05-18 at 05:43. Reason: OOo Writer vs AbiWord

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
nice! I see you mentioned abi didn't load the doc - any way you can file it in a bug? http://bugzilla.abisource.com/ Thanks!

Now, let's see if I can fix some of those Abi on Maemo bugs...
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

This morn' I've found abiword on top of the list of installable apps of the application manager. I took it. It's the 2.5-cvs20060720-0maemo2.1 version, but in its about box it qualifies as abiword 2.6. BTW the about box froze the app :-)
Also, inserting text in a document crashed the thing, and this is severe enough to make it unusable.

It's the same behavior of the last Megabyte405 beta version I tested,and whose bugs I filed on abiword bugzilla.

Is it just me or the beta has leaked in a final user repo?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
It is just you...

There's no Abiword in extras or even in extras-devel.

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/chinook/free/a/
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...hinook/free/a/

No it wasn't me :-))
It's in the rickybrent.com repo.
Silly me, it was some posts above but I forgot it. Well it's another not-so-functional version. By now better use debian chrooted apps.

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-06-02 at 08:39.