Notices

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles
FlipClock on a freshly flashed N810

Because I ran in so much issues, I thought 'heck, why not re-flash the device and start anew?'

Before I can install Flip
You cannot 'just' install FlipClock Beta on a fresh device. First, you have to install libsdl-ttf2.0-0 and libsdl-gfx1.2-4 which can be done by executing this in Xterminal:

sudo gainroot apt-get install libsdl......

But that only works when you actually can gain root access to the device:

So, step 0.a would be:

enable maemo Extras
Goto Application Manager -> Tools -> Application Catalog
Edit 'maemo Extras'
Un-check the 'Disabled' box

and step o.b is:

Become root
In Application manager, install sudser

NOW you can execute these two commands in Xterminal:
sudo gainroot apt-get install libsdl-gfx1.2-4
sudo gainroot apt-get install libsd-ttf2.0-0

On with the program!
I installed Flip using this link from the first page of this thread:
flip 0.9.4

FlipClock works! But .....
- There's no Insomniac mode. Even when I push the hardware button, I don't see 'Insomniac On' of 'Off'
When I change the theme, the brightness stays the same.

- There's no flipAlarmSync in /usr/bin
I only have: flipFMRadio; flipclock and flipclockSync
However, I was able to use command
flipclockSync clear clear clear

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sampieter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
sampieter, thanks for the fresh install and walkthrough! A few points:[*] I heard today that the extras repository should be back up and working, so Flip will be extras shortly which means no more manual "gainroot" and apt-get installs... that will make things much easier for fresh installs![*] Very strange about the no insomniac mode... I don't know what would cause it not to operate at all! It sounds almost like the x86 or Fremantle version is being installed... very strange though; many updates have happened since 0.9.4 (I did finally fix the 24 hour thing... hopefully!), so I'll put out another preview in the next day or two; please try manually removing Flip, then try installing the newer version when I get it up to see if that fixes things.[*] flipAlarmSync should be in /usr/sbin. The program /usr/bin/flipclockSync is just a shell script that calls /usr/sbin/flipAlarmSync; you should be able to run either one manually if you need to... not sure why flipAlarmSync isn't visible to you, but if flipclockSync works, then flipAlarmSync is installed and running properly...

Everyone else... thanks for all the feedback guys! I kind of got lost a bit there with the random comments and things, can somebody who was involved in that discussion (Den, iamNarada, somebody?) please summarize what the desired results/conclusions were? I got the "clock changes theme from day to night at times of the day" part, but what was all that about snoozing and brightness and things?..

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
(Den, iamNarada, somebody?) please summarize what the desired results/conclusions were? I got the "clock changes theme from day to night at times of the day" part, but what was all that about snoozing and brightness and things?..

Thanks!
It seems that we all wanted a dim screen in "Night" display until we hit "Alarm Off", then it could change to the "Day" display with full brightness to safely get out of bed in the dark ( I get up at 4:30 am). If we hit "Snooze" the display should remain dim. If we hit nothing the alarm sound or music and the display brightness should slowing increase for 60 seconds at which point the sound and brightness are at max.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles
flipAlarmSync should be in /usr/sbin. The program /usr/bin/flipclockSync is just a shell script that calls /usr/sbin/flipAlarmSync; you should be able to run either one manually if you need to
Yay: flipAlarmSync resides in /usr/sbin !

Not so yay: I still get a 'not found' error when I do flipAlarmSync ... And I am in the proper directory (/usr/sbin/)

and now for something very strange:
- I set up an alarm in FlipClock;
- the alarm is for a time earlier than the current time;
- the 'Alarm Set' window shows the alarm in a 24-hour format! Flip is set to AM/PM, and all my N810 settings are for USA;

strange... But it gets even better/weirder:

- Exit the program;
- In N810's main screen, I see a tiny clock icon, this shows me that there's an alarm being set;
- Xterminal command 'flipclockSync clear clear clear' - the alarms are cleared;
- go back to Flip and the alarms are still there...

Jolouis, will you let me know how to manually uninstall Flip when a new beta is out?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Shangri-la Oregon
Linux wont let you run something in the current directory without doing something like ./flipAlarmSync - I don't understand the reasoning behind this. It seems counter-intuitive to me.

Jim

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by jlslate View Post
Linux wont let you run something in the current directory without doing something like ./flipAlarmSync - I don't understand the reasoning behind this. It seems counter-intuitive to me.

Jim
The current directory is not in the path by default in recent Unix configs to avoid accidentally running an executable which might be called, for example, "ls" in the current directory instead of the real ls program. To run a program in the current directory you have to make a conscious decision that that is what you want to do, which seems fine to me.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
The current directory is not in the path by default in recent Unix configs to avoid accidentally running an executable which might be called, for example, "ls" in the current directory instead of the real ls program. To run a program in the current directory you have to make a conscious decision that that is what you want to do, which seems fine to me.
Pelago, perhaps you know why I cannot execute:
flipAlarmSync clear clear clear
when I'm in directory:
/usr/sbin

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I obviously didn't explain very well! You will need to type:
./flipAlarmSync clear clear clear
while in the /usr/sbin directory. Or just type:
/usr/sbin/flipAlarmSync clear clear clear
from any directory.

But if I'm understanding Jolouis correctly, you should be able to type:
flipclockSync clear clear clear
from any directory, because flipclockSync is in /usr/bin which is already in the path, and because flipclockSync is a wrapper around flipAlarmSync.

Last edited by pelago; 2009-11-17 at 13:49.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
./flipAlarmSync clear clear clear
while in the /usr/sbin directory.
Yes that worked, thank you!

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
It seems that we all wanted a dim screen in "Night" display until we hit "Alarm Off", then it could change to the "Day" display with full brightness to safely get out of bed in the dark ( I get up at 4:30 am). If we hit "Snooze" the display should remain dim. If we hit nothing the alarm sound or music and the display brightness should slowing increase for 60 seconds at which point the sound and brightness are at max.
Okay I can do that... should I incorporate that the day/night changes and things into Insomniac mode, or should I add another option somewhere do you think? I'll make the "dim to brightness" thing happen in insomniac mode anyways, cause that's just a cool idea... but the changing day/night thing I might want to add as another option as some people might not want that (in case you set an alarm at night, or some other reason)

Thanks everyone for helping sampieter out with running the command; I'm not sure why he couldn't run it globally, as /usr/sbin is in the PATH var on my tablets here, but as long as he got one of them to run that's the important part.

and now for something very strange:
- I set up an alarm in FlipClock;
- the alarm is for a time earlier than the current time;
- the 'Alarm Set' window shows the alarm in a 24-hour format! Flip is set to AM/PM, and all my N810 settings are for USA;
This was a bug that went unnoticed; I've now fixed it in SVN.

- Xterminal command 'flipclockSync clear clear clear' - the alarms are cleared;
- go back to Flip and the alarms are still there...
that "clear clear clear" only cleans up the alarmD stuff; alarms are still visible in Flip itself because they're stored locally in the preferences file. The "clear clear clear" was really only there as an emergency debugging/panic option to clean up from previous bad installs, never meant to be used by end users on a regular basis.. I will setup the package though so that uninstalling it will clean up any alarms you left active though since it currently doesn't do that.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post: