Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I was taken to task by one person for blogging on this subject...
... really?
grumpy old man....

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
I was considering doing this, could this cause any issues while charging?

dont see how this could cause any problems since plug itself is umchanged, even the clips in subject are unchanged other then spring got now less strenght

Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
If the epoxy (I don't know how rigid rubber cement can get) bonds to the board, and then forms a cup around the port, that should do the trick, without needing any support from above.
Well, I don't know how much that would help, unless it was that Billy Mays super putty (which works pretty well I may add) but there is some sort of housing/assembly a few mm above the port. If you were to inject any "rubber cement", I would try to get it inbetween the top of the port, and the housing. I think that if any kind of strain were placed on the connectors, it would first hit the actuall USB pins first, as one removed any plugs. Those are definately "glued" to the board, and not soldered.

Hiya peeps, just to let you know, that this has just happened to my N900, the entire charging connector has come away with the mains charger, I now have no way of charging the phone. Going to take it to Nokia service centre on monday, apparantly it's going to take 4+ weeks for repair!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flegg For This Useful Post:
File down the latch teeth on your power connectors, it will allow the cable to be removed without stress on the solder joints.

It's a poor *** design not to have thru-mounts like Texrat says.

Hmm going to get my file out and wear down my 2 chargers and usb cable......

Originally Posted by flegg View Post
Hiya peeps, just to let you know, that this has just happened to my N900, the entire charging connector has come away with the mains charger, I now have no way of charging the phone. Going to take it to Nokia service centre on monday, apparantly it's going to take 4+ weeks for repair!
production or pre-production unit?

I thought it was confirmed that the mount for both production and preproduction are the same?

Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
I thought it was confirmed that the mount for both production and preproduction are the same?
I don't know. Last thing I read about it was

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
fwiw the cases reported here were pre-production devices. This problem was addressed in the final sales devices.

Hmm it would be interesting to see how the problem was address if that is true.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty