Active Topics

Well, USB port and plug itself have 2 very small pads and springs (inside) for transferring this current, so springs for touching motherboard aren't any problem, I suppose.

Probably, size concerns - as dr_frost_dk mentioned - are more likely cause... Which still doesn't justify dropping it for most often used port on device.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Estel - my warranty ran out a month before the port detached (sod's law...), so I had a local guy fix it (in Warsaw, btw). After the fix, it only charges (no data) and the camera doesn't work. Do you think there's any hope for it, or should I just bin it and get another on allegro?

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Did Data and camera work before your local guy "fixed" it?

Yes, both worked flawlessly. The guy said that to fix the broken port, in the worst case scenario I'd have to choose between charging and data connectivity. So I chose charging, and it did come to the worst scenario. The broken camera is a 'bonus' (might be fixed by a flash, but after the port repair the maintenance connectors don't work either apparently).

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Ok so your port was broken off, not to be shabby or anything but guess you wish you knew about this thread / fix before it broke.

Is Your camera displaying only "grey mass"?

Such behavior is indicating serious damage on later elements - sometimes, done by improper handling of soldering tools, too much heat, or shorting something. in short, guy who "fixed" it, screwed camera by accident.

Not much hopes for repair. Sorry.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

No, whenever you open the lens cover you get a message 'The application failed'. There is maybe a split second of black screen before.

There is a 'new' n900 on Allegro.pl now for 1200 PLN apparently with factory warranty (although via an agency or 'komis'), and these things are rare now. Should I get this new one, or can the earlier fix be improved to get both data and charge? If data can be repaired, then maybe an OS flash could fix the camera and I save circa 300€ (although a backup n900 could be cool).

Thanks!

Well, 1200 PLN is roughly 400+ USD - IMO, it's much overpriced. I have N900's in very good condition *and* reinforced USB port (via soldering method) for 180 euro. As it's off-topic here, PM me if You're interested.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Very interested but can't send a PM - can you try and PM me please and hopefully the system will then let me reply!

You need to spam forum with another post, and You should be able to post PMs. If not, join #maemo IRC channel (on Freenode), and ping Estel) - I'll give You my mail address.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-