Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Congratulations. In 4 days you have lost nearly 10% of your investment.

I gather that is on top of losses from the $5/stock you bought earlier?
I'm assuming Lumiaman is playing the 'long' game and over 3 or 4 years he may see a healthy return on his investment. It's not impossible to see a sucessful Nokia returning to $3-$4, possiblty a little more. He's bet everything on WP8 being a success, but that is far from a certainty. It may even be the least likely outcome, and in any other instance he could (and possibily very badly) lose a lot of his investment.

So the 'long' game may still work out for him. In the meantime, you have to wonder could his money be earning better for him elsewhere? I'd say yes.

Edit; I had missed the $5/stock the first time, hopefully he doesn't have too much of that in his portfolio and a lot more of the $1.90's. Expecting much return on $5 NOK is very optimisitc imo, but I hope it works out for him

Edit 2: Stock opened for trading up a little at $1.84

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-11 at 13:53.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I'm assuming Lumiaman is playing the 'long' game and over 3 or 4 years he may see a healthy return on his investment. It's not impossible to see a sucessful Nokia returning to $3-$4, possiblty a little more. He's bet everything on WP8 being a success, but that is far from a certainty. It may even be the least likely outcome, and in any other instance he could (and possibily very badly) lose a lot of his investment.

So the 'long' game may still work out for him. In the meantime, you have to wonder could his money be earning better for him elsewhere? I'd say yes.

Edit; I had missed the $5/stock the first time, hopefully he doesn't have too much of that in his portfolio and a lot more of the $1.90's. Expecting much return on $5 NOK is very optimisitc imo, but I hope it works out for him
His long game is 2 years and he expects it to hit $10 in May. He has kept repeating "time to buy more" every month for almost a year I believe, claiming it has hit rock bottom a while back. He could have waited like any smart person would. I wouldn't take his advice seriously, I doubt he even has a vested interest in Nokia other than a psychological one. I believe come July 20th it can go slightly lower.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-07-11 at 14:51.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
You live in your own distortion reality. Stock investors whether big or small are in for the money first and sentiment usually doesn't even figure at all. You should read more, talk more to real people and gain more experience before you make statements like these. Most of your opinionated postings are the product of your fertile imagination cooked up in the ivory tower of your room with no grounding in reality. The reason Nokia's shares are crashing is because investors are pulling out their money and they are not a tiny majority as you supposed.

Now you are seriously confusing venture capitalists with stock market investors.
LOL Bean counter talk by a bean counter obviously. Passion, power, control, winning, loosing, creating, destroying. That is what governs this world. If you had some money you would understand. Money is just the tool you need to make it happen.

As I said. Two different games

Last edited by specc; 2012-07-12 at 06:59.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You guys talking about buying now... how much disposable income do you truly have to lose in a gamble as such?

Nokia's stocks are not turning around anytime soon.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You guys talking about buying now... how much disposable income do you truly have to lose in a gamble as such?

I'm on a negative result on nokia but a vary good overall result of the year. If you only investing in one company, I doubt nokia is the right one. But if you go wide and buy stocks in let's say 50 companies you can easy buy stocks in companies where Noone believes in and buy more when the values goes down. When it turns you have a lot of shares and can capitilze on all the short term players. Sure you lose everything from time to time. But the main thing: follow your strategy if it's successfully and analyze you current position as often as you can and need.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Even as low as the price is now, I'd sooner short their stock than go long (buy it). Whilst Elop remains in charge, it's a one way ticket to 0 / buyout / breakup, as has been obvious since the WP announcement.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2012-07-12 at 15:33.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I think nokia has hit bottom now and will raise very small 20 july. In short run...

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I think nokia has hit bottom now and will raise very small 20 july. In short run...
Without talk of a takeover, that won't happen.

Symbian sales are still crashing, and the 808 will do nothing to arrest that, given the way both it, its launch and availability have been totally neutered by Nokia

Lumia handsets continue to sell disastrously, and sales are plummeting even further since the WP8 announcement.

The only end in sight is the end, for now.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA

That's a reasonable question. I bought a lot but at a low enough price I can write it off without crying. Much.

I've lost far more on energy, pharmaceutical and future tech. Thank you, Old Money, for your continued market manipulation and resistance to change!

As for Nokia, let me share a little story. I may have shared before; sorry for any redundance.

In 2002 I was let go from a great job and walked off with over $2000 from my 401k. I dumped it into an IRA and started considering where to invest. We were all still reeling from the 2000 dotcom bust and it had rippled far, wide and deep into tech stocks of all kinds.

Corning glass (GLW) was really beaten down. I saw them at around $1.90 and my interest was piqued. I knew they held significant patents in fiber and exotic glass applications (Gorilla glass, anyone?). I knew the slump would not last forever, and sooner or later fiber to the home was going to happen. So I bought several hundred dollars worth. My gut instinct said to get more but like a good investor I built a balanced portfolio.

By 2008 GLW was over $25 and I cashed in about 90% of my holdings. Cha-CHING!

Then the market took another dump and my other stocks made up for it. And then some.

(The funny part of this story is that my stepfather had 2 million $ to invest in 2003 and I told him to sink a ton into GLW. Of course he ignored me.)

Now here's NOK sitting at that same seductive price point. So I look at it objectively and yes, I see some patents, and yes, I see some cool stuff in the pipeline-- but I'm missing that gut feeling that says NOK is the same sleeper now that GLW was then. Too much has changed. And outside of their Nokia Seimens Networks venture, they're at the wrong end of the business.

If Nokia's prospects don't improve dramatically by the end of this year, then IMO every long holder-- self included-- is screwed. Period.

(PS: I started buying back into GLW at around $8 a share)

This http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...or-smartphones consumer survery indicated 0.3% marketshare for Nokia's Lumia range, of the US smartphone market, in Q2 '12. That's 1/3rd of Symbian's marketshare in the US ...

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen