Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I agree but think of it: They a VERY small company and almost of them are geeks and not marketing guys/girls.

BUT I agree that is very dangerous to not have a big marketing team too... Sound more and more they will only release one phone and then die.

Or maybe there is another big coropration who really has intrests in "theyr" OS and Jolla is just a smoke what will come up from that other company later (hint: nokia? even if it really looks not likelly atm...)
They are stillborn. It seems exactly the behaviour you expect from creators of N9. Flashy in a backward way, teasing yet not delivering, buzz creators without substance, twitters without peters, unevolved exhibitionists....overall a bad pedigree.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I agree but think of it: They a VERY small company and almost of them are geeks and not marketing guys/girls.
well... while this may be true (i don't know) it doesn't explain why they prefer twitter. Quite on the contrary, i would expect marketing people to use twitter and geeks to use identi.ca and similar open services.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You know, individual employees are quite active on IRC and related mailing lists (Mer, Nemo) too. #jollamobile on irc.freenode.net
yes they are and thats good but still to sell devices they need strong marketing/communication for "nongeeks" but lets see what happens

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
The rest of you, shut up! We have IMPORTANT questions to ask like, "can it can run grep??"
I didn't used to have any non-negotiable requirements for a phone, but now I do. It must be able to run ipython. No phone that is not as python-friendly as my beloved N900 will ever be a replacement candidate.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
yes they are and thats good but still to sell devices they need strong marketing/communication for "nongeeks" but lets see what happens
Obviously non-geek marketing campaign is not focused towards western markets
Barnabas Collins

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
They will need marketing once they have something to sell.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You know, individual employees are quite active on IRC and related mailing lists (Mer, Nemo) too. #jollamobile on irc.freenode.net
This is good in itself, but it's not the same as having an official site. It's becoming immature not to have it at this stage for Jolla.

Originally Posted by kollin View Post
Obviously non-geek marketing campaign is not focused towards western markets
It's bad if it's so. The marketing campaign shouldn't discriminate.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
This is good in itself, but it's not the same as having an official site. It's becoming immature not to have it at this stage for Jolla.
If I may ask, exactly what stage is Jolla at right now? Jolla is not Nokia; it's just a little group of researchers putting together some ideas. I'm not even sure they want to be a retail business; they could probably survive just marketing Sailfish to hardware manufacturers, and not bother producing their own phones. (Google seems to be doing fairly well working along those lines...)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
If I may ask, exactly what stage is Jolla at right now? Jolla is not Nokia; it's just a little group of researchers putting together some ideas. I'm not even sure they want to be a retail business; they could probably survive just marketing Sailfish to hardware manufacturers, and not bother producing their own phones. (Google seems to be doing fairly well working along those lines...)
Jolla is a company planning to release som kind of device next year. They have money and 50+ employees and the desperately need customer and market shares. They need profit and so they need to establish visibility and reliable information chanals. They need a basic website!

That's becouse Google had a great buissniss before android. Please don't compare Jolla with Google. But if you still wants to do that. Google built their brand with a website

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-10-17 at 19:03.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
From what I understood they aren't just researchers who put together some ideas. They are working on a real product which they want to sell. I can still accept them not having a site until they actually have something substantial to reveal. But I'm not OK with them using Twitter to communicate until then. IRC is not the same as some site, since not everything from IRC is logged (if logged at all). Some open public communication channel would complement IRC which is more suitable for realtime conversations.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-10-17 at 19:09.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla