Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by jmart View Post
In xterm when i type 'free' should i see my swap memory? I set my memory to use in the ramzez GUI to 25%, after installing DT, but I see 0 in xterm when I type 'free'.
Yes, you should see it. "cat /proc/swaps" should show all your swap devices and you should see /dev/ramzswap0 there, "ls /dev/ramz*" should show the ramzswap device entry, and "cat /proc/ramzswap" the usage stats.
If it is not there, try restarting it from xterm as root ("/etc/init.d/ramzswap restart")

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
I have gotten same "screen won't blank" thing a few days ago.

In my case I suspect about high load scenario. The device freezes and I reboot it. Then it happened.

Restarting once won't solve it. Nor restarting twice. Restarting third time do the trick.

Sorry for bad english.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Or just do the truncation with stuff present in the base install like perl:

Code:
open(Z, "+</usr/share/Diablo-Turbo/backup/zImage-backup") &&
sysseek(Z, 0x2C, 0) &&
sysread(Z, $l, 4) &&
truncate(Z, unpack("L", $l)) &&
close(Z);
(season with appopriate error handling to taste).
I do not do perl, too arcane for me to learn, but I'll happyly use your code snippet.
While you're at it, why don't you add the equivalent of "if filesize(Z)<$l: exit(1)" before truncate?

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Looks good, I'll try.

But a few questions:

uninstalling can just be done by
Code:
dpkg -r *.deb
?

in the folder where the debs exist.

And does the sysvinit fix the spontaneous reboot issue ?

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
uninstalling
When uninstalling, dpkg takes package names, not filesnames. Also, it's better to use apt-get when possible as unlik dpkg, it also takes care of package dependencies. If you want to remove just the kernel, use the following. This command will automatically uninstall ramzswap-dt (and probably dt-init-scripts).

Code:
apt-get remove kernel-dt-sd
Uninstalling the other packages -- or actually reverting to old versions -- isn't trivial but certainly doable. However, it's not neccessarily recommended. :-)

No, when all goes right I do not want to revert.
I just ask it in case it goes wrong. My N810 works fine except the spontaneous reboots sometimes more than once a day. And as bonus it is faster.

I'll try.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Durham, NC
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Yes, you should see it. "cat /proc/swaps" should show all your swap devices and you should see /dev/ramzswap0 there, "ls /dev/ramz*" should show the ramzswap device entry, and "cat /proc/ramzswap" the usage stats.
If it is not there, try restarting it from xterm as root ("/etc/init.d/ramzswap restart")
restarting from xterm as root worked, when I typed free I then saw my swap memory. However, after restarting my N810 I am back to 0 swap memory until I restart ramzswap in xterm again. Any ideas? Thanks again!

The installing worked flawlessly. But running uname -r returns 2.6.21 is that OK ?
I see further no differences and the reboot issue is NOT resolved: two hours after the update the device rebooted spontaneously (Tear browser was running).

Did I something wrong ?

UPDATE: After half an hour it rebooted AGAIN, while Tear browsers was running.
Is this a problem in the tear browser ?

UPDATE2: After another 30 minutes (starting Firefox / Fennec , surfing a bit and closed it) it rebooted again (3rd time) !

So this patch does not help at all.

Last edited by skatebiker; 2011-03-08 at 21:55.

Originally Posted by jmart View Post
restarting from xterm as root worked, when I typed free I then saw my swap memory. However, after restarting my N810 I am back to 0 swap memory until I restart ramzswap in xterm again. Any ideas? Thanks again!
Check that the /etc/rc2.d/S??ramzswap link is there.

Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
The installing worked flawlessly. But running uname -r returns 2.6.21 is that OK ?
Yes
I see further no differences and the reboot issue is NOT resolved: two hours after the update the device rebooted spontaneously (Tear browser was running).

Did I something wrong ?

UPDATE: After half an hour it rebooted AGAIN, while Tear browsers was running.
Is this a problem in the tear browser ?

UPDATE2: After another 30 minutes (starting Firefox / Fennec , surfing a bit and closed it) it rebooted again (3rd time) !

So this patch does not help at all.
No, this patch doesn't solve issues with faulty hardware or old batteries, I never promised such a thing.

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008