i was hoping someone could create some SNSD n900 wallpapers.. dont know how to do them!

the pic :
http://smonelove.files.wordpress.com.../snsd-new4.jpg

or

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs50/f/20...yedfairy23.jpg

thanks in advance

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juxxxer View Post
Hi, Should there be some easy help section? I just installed Zephyr (comes with Maemo SDK) first time and went to N900wallpapers site with Zephyr and I could not figure out how to save the image as a wallpaper (and yes - i'm quite new Maemo user - but so are many others (when the N900's hit the streets ))
Just today I wrote a brief tutorial about how to change wallpapers on the N900 on my blog. Here's the short version. If you want a more step by step approach you could try my tutorial. Unfortunately it's not the easiest solution in the world, but this is how I do it and it works for me.

Ok, short version first:

You connect to your N900 (through USB mount or SFTP) and go into the .images folder. From there, download any .desktop file. That's the control file for the wallpaper set. You could try .abstract1.desktop. Rename .abstract1.desktop to .knightrider.desktop (or whatever your wallpaper set is about) and modify it with notepad or any text only editor. In notepad you need to change five things: The name and the four rows referencing JPG files.

After that, just upload .knightrider.desktop back to .images along with your four jpg files. When you choose "change background" from the desktop, you will see "Knightrider" as an option if you change the name row in .knightrider.desktop to read Name=Knightrider.

Slightly longer version of this same "tutorial" available at n900experience.blogspot.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
Just today I wrote a brief tutorial about how to change wallpapers on the N900 on my blog. Here's the short version. If you want a more step by step approach you could try my tutorial. Unfortunately it's not the easiest solution in the world, but this is how I do it and it works for me.

Ok, short version first:

You connect to your N900 (through USB mount or SFTP) and go into the .images folder. From there, download any .desktop file. That's the control file for the wallpaper set. You could try .abstract1.desktop. Rename .abstract1.desktop to .knightrider.desktop (or whatever your wallpaper set is about) and modify it with notepad or any text only editor. In notepad you need to change five things: The name and the four rows referencing JPG files.

After that, just upload .knightrider.desktop back to .images along with your four jpg files. When you choose "change background" from the desktop, you will see "Knightrider" as an option if you change the name row in .knightrider.desktop to read Name=Knightrider.

Slightly longer version of this same "tutorial" available at n900experience.blogspot.com.
I am sorry I do not know much about this stuff but where do you find download the .desktop file after you connect the n900 to the usb? I am currently running vista. Thanks.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by colourblind View Post
i was hoping someone could create some SNSD n900 wallpapers.. dont know how to do them!

the pic :
http://smonelove.files.wordpress.com.../snsd-new4.jpg

or

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs50/f/20...yedfairy23.jpg

thanks in advance
Not my taste, but I'll make one, it will be on the site as soon as I get a sec

EDIT: Just thought what licence these images under? We ok to mod and re-distribute?

LOL guess not, I'll have a look for images that we are allowed to use

Last edited by davedickson; 2009-12-08 at 00:56.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post

Ok, short version first:

Jaysire, could you create us a wallpapers changing page in the wiki please? It would be really useful. Right now all we have a link back to this thread.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Maemo

If that's too much trouble, do you mind if I distill the content of your post and blog and do it?

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Jaysire, could you create us a wallpapers changing page in the wiki please? It would be really useful. Right now all we have a link back to this thread.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Maemo

If that's too much trouble, do you mind if I distill the content of your post and blog and do it?
I would be happy to contribute. I actually thought someone else would've done it by now. I'm a teacher of programming languages, so I like to be thorough. There needs to be a description of how to do it in Os X and Windows. Preferably not over SSH, because that's quite a heavy package to install just for the wallpapers.

Mounting over USB makes the .desktop files invisible in Finder on Os X, because the files are hidden (name starts with a dot, ie .hasselhoff.desktop). I don't know if they have to, for the N900 to see them.

There needs to be a clear and concise process for changing the wallpaper and I have to figure out how to best describe it to someone unfamiliar with hidden files, text editors and such.

Luckily it's a wiki, so collaboration is not only possible, but the whole basis of the medium. How about I start the article and you guys contribute with edits when you feel something could be said in a better way?

Last edited by jaysire; 2009-12-08 at 22:27.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Sounds like an excellent plan! there was a video around somewhere about creating and using wall-papers too you could link to. And a link in the wiki to the wallpapers website would be useful in case this thread drops off the front few pages.

Does anyone know whether this site is still being maintained? About three weeks ago I created an account, uploaded two wallpapers but they don't even show in my account as uploaded.

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by philh View Post
Does anyone know whether this site is still being maintained? About three weeks ago I created an account, uploaded two wallpapers but they don't even show in my account as uploaded.
I'm not sure whether the site is still being maintained but i can't even open up the prismic wallpaper application anymore! It trys to load but doesn't launch the program? Is anyone else having this problem?

I have tried rebooting...?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio
I cutted some 1080p Tron wallpapers in n900 desktop shapes and added a bit space to make 3rd desktop background. Someone might do better job with gimp. Second one came out that good I stopped making the first one. I use it with blue pleego blue theme, but I suppose it works ok with original blue theme also.

Couldn't find a better thread for publishing, but here they are...
tron_wallpapers.rar

Tags
backgrounds, maemo 5, masturbatory fantasy pics, n900, themes, wallpapers