Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Check post #13 on this thread( http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=13 ) to see how Jolla Chief UI designer Jaakko Roppola envisages gestures could be brought to a bigger form factor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Nokia tablet will use PowerVR GPU - too bad. No Intel GPU and no open drivers (i.e. no native Wayland either).

When will tablets with proper Intel GPUs come out already?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Check post #13 on this thread( http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=13 ) to see how Jolla Chief UI designer Jaakko Roppola envisages gestures could be brought to a bigger form factor.
Yes, but his blog post (where those images come from) says at the very start: "Note that this has nothing to do with Jolla."

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by KempeWeidenbaum View Post
Yes, but i was talking about the gestures we know from Sailfish OS already
I've gotta admit, the Jolla folks do seem to have squeezed just about the most you can get out of gestures on such a small device, particularly by emphasizing moves onto or off of the screen (thus creating a "virtual" space larger than the phone itself). But I would imagine that, given the greater screen space of a tablet, they'd be able to come up with a far richer collection of gesture controls. (At the very least, I'd expect them to be less constrained than Apple and Google, who are locked into tablet UIs that have to maintain compatibility with their existing phone UIs...)

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Nokia tablet will use PowerVR GPU - too bad. No Intel GPU and no open drivers (i.e. no native Wayland either).

When will tablets with proper Intel GPUs come out already?
The Intel PowerVR GPUs tend to have much more robust drivers than the in-house Intel designs .. even if they are less open.
I'd see it as much less of a disappointment than Nokia taking whatever cash was waved in their face by Intel to use Atom, instead of one of the many, vastly superior ARM SKUs ... anyway, this is just-another-tablet ... albeit with Nokia's own Android ROM.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-11-18 at 18:48.

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
The Intel PowerVR GPUs tend to have much more robust drivers than the in-house Intel designs .. even if they are less open.
I'd see it as much less of a disappointment than Nokia taking whatever cash was waved in their face by Intel to use Atom, instead of one of the many, vastly superior ARM SKUs ... anyway, this is just-another-tablet ... albeit with Nokia's own Android ROM.
I'd wait for a proper 14 nm Intel SoC with Intel GPU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_(system_on_chip)

It should arrive in 2015. ARM SoCs are all sickening, except may be for Tegra which does have some decent glibc Linux support. I'm OK with Nokia using Atom, as long as there won't be any Android blobs needed to run Sailfish on it.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-11-18 at 20:30.

I dont think Nokia can make phones till 2016 or whatever due to their deal with microshit

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Well, as long as you use the one exact hacked together BSP that came with the device and even then it might fail (see the PowerVR crashes on the N900). Change anything and it falls down like a house of cards - see the attempts to get an up-to-date Kernel & X server running on netbooks with the PowerVR based Paulsbo GPU (this is actually quite close to this Nokia device - x86 CPU & PowerVR graphics).

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I'd wait for a proper 14 nm Intel SoC with Intel GPU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_(system_on_chip)

It should arrive in 2015. ARM SoCs are all sickening, except may be for Tegra which does have some decent glibc Linux support. I'm OK with Nokia using Atom, as long as there won't be any Android blobs needed to run Sailfish on it.
I'll take no Intel and poor Linux drivers any day. The only way they're able to compete in the mobile / tablet space is by buying design wins. If anything, with the 14nm Atoms, the gulf will widen even further. The A5x series not only extend their performance per watt lead, but the higher clocked A57s will absolutely crush them in most benchmarks. The only thing they have going for them will be a very short lived process advantage lead .. but Samsung will almost certainly have 16nm chips out by the middle of next year.

Eh ... even if the tablet isn't totally locked down, that's surely a bit of a hope in vain? Sailfish requires Android does it not? Anyway, is the x86 version of Sailfish even being actively developed?

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
I have four of these big ones at home now, 3 black and 1 red.
very happy with them.
Attached Images

Tags
bulks