Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
As a tablet backer yesterday I received a 'Jolla Tablet User Experience Questionnaire': a few questions Jolla asks about what how you use a tablet and what you would like to see in Jolla Tablet.
Not sure if they spammed^Wmailed everybody at once, but if you are backer and you don't find it, check also your spam folder.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
As a tablet backer yesterday I received a 'Jolla Tablet User Experience Questionnaire': a few questions Jolla asks about what how you use a tablet and what you would like to see in Jolla Tablet.
Not sure if they spammed^Wmailed everybody at once, but if you are backer and you don't find it, check also your spam folder.
I also got it yesturday and answered just moment ago!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
Drag and dropping something (usually an icon representing a file) from one screen (say an open email message) to another screen.
You could do that without overlapping windows. Eg. Pick up the object, drag it to a screen edge so the multitasking view is being peeked and then subsequently shown, hover over the app and drop the object on the cover or if you hover long enough it could spring open the app so you can drop the object directly into the now full screen app.

That's how desktop Mac OSX handles drag and drop today onto multiple virtual desktops, screens and minimised apps.

I'm not saying Jolla should do that; just saying a windowed environment isn't a prerequisite.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
The multitasking view is just the equivalent of the task switcher on a desktop, with the additional ability to use a couple of shortcuts.
What's a task switcher on a desktop?

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Unless I really need to show two things side by side, I always maximise everything, and this on a laptop with twice the screen size of the tablet.
Funny. Unless the application has a screen with a lot of panes, such various IDEs, I never maximise anything, and that is on my old laptop with a 1024x768 screen. I find it a terrible waste of space. I stretch the windows to just the right size to fit the content comfortably.

In fact, I have just tried maximising the browser displaying this very TMO page. Bleeeeaargh!

Anyway, resizable windows give you the option. You can use it if you wish or not if you are so masochistic and want to limit yourself to full-screen only. But not even having the option is like going back 30 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Good points and discussion, thanks.

I personally do not think that freely resizeable and even overlapping "windows" would be needed or that they would be the most effecient way to use screen space on tablet.

However, I would like to see a bit more freedom in the way how the app covers are handled today at Jolla. Like giving app developers possibility to create different size app covers (for example three different sizes available 1*1, 2*1, 2*2) so that the user could for example for a moment make the video window larger or expand the weather app to show weather forecast for a couple more days without the need to go to fullscreen.

And if there would be a possibility to fix certain app covers to a certain place in the multitasking "table" it would be easy to create app covers that could act as widgets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What's a task switcher on a desktop?
Whatever you use to switch windows. I usually use Alt-Tab, but, e.g. in KDE you can go to a desktop corner and see smaller versions of your windows (updated in real time) and select the one to bring to the front.

I am in the maximize everything camp myself, by the way. There may be applications for which full screen is not needed, but I am not using many of them. A chat window is all I can think of at the moment. Otherwise, my desktop tends to have a console window, with a few tabs open, a browser with a few tabs, and any application I am using, maximized. But applications I may be using are typically Qt creator, Inkscape or Krita.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
Drag and dropping something (usually an icon representing a file) from one screen (say an open email message) to another screen.
You don't need the windows to overlap for that, just put them side by side.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Any news about 3G yet?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
The IndieGoGo campaign just restarted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j...blet/x/4049054

Nothing about 3G support, but an option for a larger internal flash drive. I am quite tempted...

[edit: added link]

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
now with 64GB Memory for 249$

Upgrade from early 32gb to 64gb cost 25$

i dont know if its a good deal. 64gb microsd card cost only 25-30€

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet