Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The fact is that Android is a mess, and iOS is too restricted; people are tired and willing to switch.
So tired that they buy more Android and iOS devices than ever before.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
the biggest advantage with n9 is that it's not running android. everyone should support that. simple reason: it's never good for consumers if one brand dominate the market. android will be sloppy and slow like windows on the desktop market.

I really hope i never see nokia running android.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
So tired that they buy more Android and iOS devices than ever before.
Yeah but that's just the critical mass thing... There's many folk in that user-base that'd be willing to switch... (& hence potentially turn-the-tide in the longer-term)
If nokia had an effective marketing strategy, & could actually convey all the niceties available, should they decide to switch.
But really, Alien Dalvik needs to be part of that strategy as a "clincher" IMO, & it's not gunna happen i think...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-15 at 08:40.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
the biggest advantage with n9 is that it's not running android. everyone should support that. simple reason: it's never good for consumers if one brand dominate the market. android will be sloppy and slow like windows on the desktop market. I really hope i never see nokia running android.
Well stop bloody bashing harmattan/meego & bloody well get behind it!
"Glares at Dan & Gerbick too"

Even if you struggle to find much that suites your typical usage patterns*...
If you don't want a world with only Android, iOS, & maybe WP/WebOS/RIM then "accentuate the positives".
The way any good marketeer/politician does, then the iSheep will follow, then %$*#... profit
And lets face it, N9/Harmattan needs as much accentuating as it can get, even it's CEO doesn't want to!
And that's one of the single biggest reasons for it's image problem (there's many others of course).

*That's the only reason I'm interested...
It looks almost perfect "as-a-whole" compared to other platforms for my usage.
I'm not the least bit interested in it for ideological reasons.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-15 at 10:35.

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Whoah, now that Dan, Gerbick and Abill are there, only one question remains.

Where is ericsson, so that we can at last enjoy some epic trolling action here?!?
Well Abill did his time, so he is a free man now.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
well no one is using Hildon cause its heavily broken.
Yet you are using an N900, how badly broken can it be? ;-)

Also keep in mind that we don't know how broken swipe is yet. But at least this time they won't have to worry about people pestering them with annoying patches :-b

and btw if I remember correct people at TMO complained about hildon was not fully open anyway?
(From memory) I think the sticking point was Nokia's virtual keyboard. The rest seemed open enough to be reused in Mer.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
what about meego, a few free devices in promotion, a few webpages...

But win..

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/n...ning-campaign/

Might be a few dollars from MS to €lop...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Definitely surprised Nokia as well. Just a shame that the returns/defects were also high.
Now rethink about it in the "don't sell too much of it" / "brand image damage" point of view.
hint: brand image and marketing doesn't impact the demographics that Nokia wasn't surprised it sold the N900 to. The unintended N900 buyers are much more sensitive to that.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
The openness is hardly an advantage here. It's hardly any more open than Android, given the closed video drivers and apps--at least even the system apps and launcher are easily replaceable without being forced to HAVE to use any closed apps, all without ruining the system, unlike Maemo so far. I'd like to see if this Harmattan in-between Maemo and MeeGo abomination is any better.
But you don't know all the components, where they stand between the two projects, what is open/not open, what is open but still proprietary, & what that means etc.
And that's not just a criticism of you, I think it's still quite murky for most of us.
And I guess it won't ever be fully resolved unless there's complete consolidation between the two dev env's in some distant meego-core/harmattan release.
I'm not sure if consolidation is the plan, I thought I read somewhere it was...
And it would make sense IMO to at least gradually begin that process, & would prolly be resolved quicker than we realise.
But that doesn't mean both projects can't work nicely as two fairly separate entities for the time being.

There's some huge improvements from Maemo5*, in terms of what's seemingly going to be delivered.
Yeah it sux that some of what was open, is now closed...
But noises Nokia devs have made lately, suggest that may not remain the case (will stay proprietary but not "closed").

*at least from a handset perspective, but even beyond that.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
But at least this time they won't have to worry about people pestering them with annoying patches :-b
Don't speak too soon there

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-15 at 09:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
what about meego, a few free devices in promotion, a few webpages...

But win..

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/n...ning-campaign/

Might be a few dollars from MS to €lop...
Man this make me want to rage!

What's the bet they don't finally start releasing the n9 to select countries until 30/09.
Even when it's been "stable enough" to be released at least 3mth earlier.*
And when they do release it they'll only "drip feed" it round the world over a 6mth period, instead of an instantaneous worldwide release.
And there'll be a tiny marketing push behind it compared to the WP7 phones, that'll be rolled-out at the same time.

And Engadget will be gushing all the while, & thus WP+Nokia will be forever in holy matrimony.
And mindless enthusiasts out there that like to think they're informed will go:
"Yeah I told you so, WP is da bomb, Meego was always shite, never had a chance".... Grrrrrrrrr

I'll still get a WP phone, as I like to try everything out...
But I would've preferred an alternate universe where WP could've gotten traction without Nokia.
And one where Nokia could've finally gotten some traction with it's own nextgen mobile OS.

*i seem to recall Android & even iOS being extremely buggy, in their 1st mass consumer releases.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-15 at 10:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????