Originally Posted by Carl
As an 802.11g "card"... attach it to your PC and it can access an existing wireless network.
This is the part I am having trouble with; this the "client" mode.

Originally Posted by Carl
The D-Link DWL-G730AP will work in three ways: As an access point (attach it to an ethernet port in your hotel room and you're setting up a Wi-Fi network that your 770 can use); As a (wired) router (attach it to an ethernet port and you get more ethernet ports); As an 802.11g "card"... attach it to your PC and it can access an existing wireless network. It can't do all three at once, you have to flip a switch. It got good reviews somewhere on the net.
Cool. I think you might be mistaken about the second point, it only has one physical ethernet port so it cannot act as a switch. But I went and bought one last night for my upcoming trip. I hope I have time to figure it out before I go.

This should be a good complement for my 770 as a work tool. We have some embedded linux devices that normally run headless that we drag out a keyboard and monitor to debug. With this router and my 770 I should be able to shell in to a terminal. Once I get VNC configured on our boxes I'll have a full GUI for a debug environment.
David

Personally, I think it is pretty hard to beat Apple's AirPort Express-- just the size of a power brick with no external components. Does everything you asked for.

If I could improve it in one way, it would be to make the usb port capable of hosting a pen-drive (or 770) as a micro web-server or network share.

Had mine for a few years, and still impressed with how easy it is to use.

I also find it more reliable than Linksys/Netgear/Belkin in maintaining a connection.

djs--did you get it to work in client mode?