Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Gerbick, thanks for the clarification. I never thought that Ovi Suite didn't support the N900. Now I wonder how I'll transfer my contacts etc without dragging and dropping. You make a big point. I hope its settled by launch. Syncing is important.

And on the TV ads, Nokia can't freely advertise because of its deal with carriers. If you notice, besides Apple, no manufacturer does TV ads, only carriers. Its a double edged sword for Nokia, and they need to get on Oprah or something alternative, since carrier rules keep them from tv

Look what Oprah did for the Kindle, and imagine a full 15 minute segment with Anssi and Oprah with the N900. I bet it'd sell like hot cakes... I wonder if Nokia even thinks on this level? I know Oprah's producers take devices and products for consideration all of the time. I'd love to be the one presenting. I'm good at talking to rich black women! Or I'd like to be...

Last edited by christexaport; 2009-09-16 at 02:40.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia, USA
I propose that in the US, Nokia must buy TV spots and advertise the device heavily. A good message to me would take the Apple v Microsoft spots to the next level. The N900 would be advertised as the iPhone that cares about it's users. Not about the carrier or the whims of the manufacturer.

I have noticed that Palm and Tmobile mention multi-tasking in their US TV adverts. I think Nokia must go to a more fundamental level and demonstrate that you can load a web page in the background while calling a friend.

An advert that compresses the Maemo vid's 1:37 into a 30 second spot would also be viable.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
As Ive said before, Nokia can't just start advertising devices in the US. It conflicts with the carrier agreements it has. The carriers run the marketing in the US. You never see device ads unless its from a carrier. So skip the TV commercials without a carrier subsidy.

Kind of OT but I agree with gerbick, Nokia should have some solutions like that available for the non-techy person to be able to easily use and sync the N900 out of the box.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Twitter and Facebook user isn't that savvy.
If the average facebook user cannot figure out how to use the n900 nokia has made big big mistakes. Maybe they won't use every feature or care about admin rights on thier phone but that does not make them a bad audience for it.

Originally Posted by ogahyellow View Post
A good message to me would take the Apple v Microsoft spots to the next level. The N900 would be advertised as the iPhone that cares about it's users. Not about the carrier or the whims of the manufacturer
I dont know if the MS approach worked too well. They felt that they owned 90% of the market and shouldn't have to directly address the attacks of a (relatively) minor player.

I would rather them not focus on the iPhone, at least in the US where Nokia has less name recognition. They can be a dark horse with a phenomenal device that comes from a land of mobile ubiquity.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
As Ive said before, Nokia can't just start advertising devices in the US. It conflicts with the carrier agreements it has. The carriers run the marketing in the US. You never see device ads unless its from a carrier. So skip the TV commercials without a carrier subsidy.
That sucks and it seems corrupt. I would have liked to have see them do the movie theater adverts with product placement in the films and half pagers in specialty journals (business, mothers etc.) where they talk about the flexibility of the device which allows the user to make it what they need it to be.

The business guy talks about stock ticker widgets always running, alerts for any rise and fall, online trading using using a full blow web browser, corporate email integration, and music and media for long flights.

Mom talks about keeping track of the whole family (w/social media), music in the car with less clutter and gadgets (w/ FM transmitter), easy web browsing, etc. (i'm not a mom so my description is kinda lame im sure parents could do a much better job)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
If the average facebook user cannot figure out how to use the n900 nokia has made big big mistakes. Maybe they won't use every feature or care about admin rights on thier phone but that does not make them a bad audience for it.
I would tend to agree. But the sheer amount of people that ask me questions about the simple iPhone from Facebook is... sometimes disenfranchising.

And if you look at sites like Engadget or Gizmodo, the Facebook user hate is pretty immense.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Market it as a do-anything anywhere international device? On travel shows? Go where the money and prestige is? Aim for the jet set.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And if you look at sites like Engadget or Gizmodo, the Facebook user hate is pretty immense.
You would have to admit that there are more who use it then hate it. It. The great thing is that, if you have the device, you are not forced to do anything.

There has been a lot of press on the motoblur version of android. This sounds similar to n97/n900 functionality and has been the key sales topic, Nokia should capitalize on that and continue with and and and...