Active Topics

Notices

i cant even seem to do it using pigion. pigion doesnt actually work on my [hone for some reason. the fring works but there arent many options for anything with that app

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
yes. i was very surpised to find it doesn't work.

andre its true the file transfer depends on the protocol (and on the ability of the client the other person uses), but thats really a non-issue. its an option in the interface that appears only if it's technically possible... and of course, it will have to handle failed attempts. like every other program has to be able to copy with technical problems.

having file transfer in IM would be useful by itself, but it would open yet another door:

I proposed today in brainstorm that one should be able to forward SMS as e-mail or IM. Thats all nice and easy, but what about, say, forwarding a (future) MMS as IM? With a picture attached? Or forwarding a short email, again with an attached imaged, as IM? These are real-world scenarios that I solve with copy&paste today on my S60 phone (for the text part), and each time I have to do it, I wish the phone had a "forward as..." function.

Maemo could have it. But it would need to include file transfer over IM protocols to make it really work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

On topic:

I know someone asked the Collabora devs about file transfer during their session at the summit. The first part of their answer was that it's not currently possible, obviously. However, I can't recall if the rest of their answer was "but we're investigating how to make it happen" or "and the Converstations framework in Maemo 5 doesn't allow it."

I'd be a lot more useful if I remembered important details like that.

Was their session recorded and put online?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Benny, you took the words right out of my mouth. All of these communications standards are a part of our lives, and it'd be great to have them converged and working together. I'm done compromising. I have a handheld workstation now, and I want to see stuff like this happen ASAP

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Would this not be a plug-in to the 'Share' rather than conversation persay?

The share service is designed to send files at least so inclusion of a button in the conversation GUI would fit the UI standards. This would also allow the sending of files directly from their native apps too without having to initiate a conversation first too.

Receipt of a file from the remote client could be a simple dialog to pick location for saving, maybe trigger from an embedded hyperlink in the conversation pane?

Thoughts anyone?

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Would this not be a plug-in to the 'Share' rather than conversation persay?

The share service is designed to send files at least so inclusion of a button in the conversation GUI would fit the UI standards. This would also allow the sending of files directly from their native apps too without having to initiate a conversation first too.
It can be both. In my every day use case, I am already chatting with somebody when during the conversation I think of a picture I should send him. In this case, I would consider it odd to leave the conversation UI, go to the image viewer, choose the image, tap "share", select service, select contact, ... both service and contact are already known and mustn't be re-entered. (Also, especially if the other party initiated the chat, I might not know easily which service we're using.)

So I'd prefer a way to select and send files directly from the chat UI.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Venezuela
are there any news on this?. this is a feature that NEEDS to be implemented, not being able to send files over IM when everybody else can, makes our more powerful phone look weaker in front of this simple task, btw...is there a way to add more accounts to the share service? or is it only facebook,flickr and ovi possible?

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It can be both. In my every day use case, I am already chatting with somebody when during the conversation I think of a picture I should send him. In this case, I would consider it odd to leave the conversation UI, go to the image viewer, choose the image, tap "share", select service, select contact, ... both service and contact are already known and mustn't be re-entered. (Also, especially if the other party initiated the chat, I might not know easily which service we're using.)

So I'd prefer a way to select and send files directly from the chat UI.
Benny, I didn't mean leave the conversation GUI. Sorry, had my techie hat on there! I meant include the share button in the conversations app to keep the gui standard. I would envisage the normal set of dialogs as per other applications including one to pick the file to be 'shared' across the conversation thread.

Does that make any sense?

Originally Posted by rikisky View Post
are there any news on this?. this is a feature that NEEDS to be implemented, not being able to send files over IM when everybody else can, makes our more powerful phone look weaker in front of this simple task, btw...is there a way to add more accounts to the share service? or is it only facebook,flickr and ovi possible?
Everyone else can on all phones? Not sure I have seen this on any of the phones I have had in the past thoguh 3rd party app might do it.