Active Topics

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
You could always dual boot. Maemo for mobile computer usage and Android for smartphone usage.
what he said!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Which Android will get updated? Half the existing devices are stuck in official 1.6. Hacking a 2.2 on them is like hacking it on N900.
And MeeGo will have to be hacked onto the N900. Your point?

Any OS besides Maemo will have to be hacked onto the N900. Including the ones from Nokia.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
My point is that N900 will get the same level of support as most of those devices. Remember that we are talking about getting 2.2 running on N900. Are you trying that Android will be more updated/fully supported on N900 than MeeGo?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
This highly embarassing for Nokia!

I'm happy with maemo and generally meets my needs.
However we have no idea what the future holds for the n900 and maemo (ok probably means no more updates).
Meego is in development - how open it will be remains to be seen.
Nokia love keeping users in the dark.
We will not get Flash 10.
Nokia still have no clear strategy and the handling of OVI store and the N900 has been awful.

Some dude gets Android working on the N900 which will enable users to get Flash and a wider selection of apps.
Users will then say "hey android is cool on the N900 - why should I upgrade to a Nokia smartphone?"

Nokia waves goodbye to customers!

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
True but I would fancy my chances here than with say a Sony mobile phone owners website in terms of porting something.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Because Android will get updates, whereas Maemo will probably not?
My N900 has already gotten more OS updates in 6 months than my G1 did in 1 1/2 years. And PR1.3 at least is still to come. Many Android phones are still being sold with 1.6 and will never get beyond that. Froyo 2.2 will remain a dream for most Android users not willing to up for new hardware.

No thanks - I'll stick with a real pocket computer OS, not go back to a smartphone OS. I'm looking forward toward more capability and functionality with MeeGo, not backward toward less with Android.

Don't get me started on the Big Brother factor with Android, or which OS is really more open, etc. etc. Let's just say I don't miss Android one bit and will never buy another Android device.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
My point is that N900 will get the same level of support as most of those devices. Remember that we are talking about getting 2.2 running on N900. Are you trying that Android will be more updated/fully supported on N900 than MeeGo?
If 2.2 can get hacked onto the N900 with Flash Player 10.1, then so can 2.3 more than likely.

A community based version of MeeGo might end up like the Hacker Editions of OS2007 and OS2008 - no Adobe Flash.

Nokia's past has rendered that to be 100% true. Their silence now doesn't bode well for all features to be supported.

Your point is rendered negative because ALL OPERATING SYSTEMS besides Maemo 5 will have to be hacked onto N900, including MeeGo.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
My N900 has already gotten more OS updates in 6 months than my G1 did in 1 1/2 years. And PR1.3 at least is still to come.
Should have done better research.

And PR1.3 will more than likely only bring Qt Mobility.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If 2.2 can get hacked onto the N900 with Flash Player 10.1, then so can 2.3 more than likely.

A community based version of MeeGo might end up like the Hacker Editions of OS2007 and OS2008 - no Adobe Flash.

Nokia's past has rendered that to be 100% true. Their silence now doesn't bode well for all features to be supported.

Your point is rendered negative because ALL OPERATING SYSTEMS besides Maemo 5 will have to be hacked onto N900, including MeeGo.
Hmm, and how will that run with no drivers for 3D for instance?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jussi69 View Post
Android 2.2 Froyo has just conquered Nokia N900!

This guy wiped the floor with Maemo OS - threw it to the trashcan and installed mobile world's hottest OS - Android 2.2.

Way to go!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/27/h...through-froyo/
I will not use a shitty android its just a hype OS and broken Linux I prefer MeeGo/Maemo 5 for sure.

As a development platform MeeGo/Maemo kills android for sure.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
delete me, worstthreadever