Active Topics

Might be related to the region. I'm in Austin w/TMO and it works perfect for me both on EDGE and 3G. Or perhaps it is the network settings for your particular data plan? If they have you going through a proxy that could potentially hose up things. Try a different APN (there's the internet2.voicestream one and the epc.tmobile one...if you have one configured try the other).

I had the same issue when I switched from ATT to Tmobile. I cleared the "use network positioning" checkbox, rebooted, checked the box and then launched Maps. Works great. 5 second GPS fixes again.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Seattle, WA, USA
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Under Settings/Locaton

GPS Enable checked
GPS Device Internal GPS

Network Positioning
Enable Checked
Location Server: supl.nokia.com
My settings are identical.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Do you have a data connection up?
I have tried both via 3G and wifi with no change in apparent behavior.

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Might be related to the region. I'm in Austin w/TMO and it works perfect for me both on EDGE and 3G. Or perhaps it is the network settings for your particular data plan? If they have you going through a proxy that could potentially hose up things.
It may be a region thing, but it seems pretty widespread. The technicians I spoke to verified my data plan should be OK, and there is no proxy in use.

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Try a different APN (there's the internet2.voicestream one and the epc.tmobile one...if you have one configured try the other).
Tried both. No change. [Side note: T-Mobile tech said epc.tmobile.com is generally faster (probably because it's under less load).]

Thanks for your suggestions, though.

There's a Nokia Support Discussion thread that has reports from several other people experiencing the same problem. One person reported fixing the problem with disable/reboot/enable/reboot. This did not work for me.

I'm still interested to know if there are further diagnostic steps I can take. I'm out of ideas. Anyone know a OMA-UPL expert that can help out?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Seattle, WA, USA
Setting Location server to supl.google.com and rebooting got me a location fix.

I haven't tried yet, but using supl.google.com:7276 may be better as an Android engineer recommended it for "testing" with.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to xiojason For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Gilbert, AZ, USA
I've noticed the same behavior with T-Mobile USA (but have no way to try ATT). I found, though, that if I run the Ovi Maps program, I suddenly get a fix and my IM availability publishes my street location as determined by Ovi Maps. Once I close Ovi Maps, it goes back to Searching...

Does anyone know how to read the NMEA data from the internal GPS receiver? Is there an app yet to grahpically display the signal quality from each GPS sat and the current fix quality?

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by xiojason View Post

I haven't tried yet, but using supl.google.com:7276 may be better as an Android engineer recommended it for "testing" with.
Wow, thanks for the tip dude, you just made my day! I just switched the server to supl.google.com and it instantly finds a location based on the cell-tower which happens to be atop the Triborough bridge here in NYC.

supl.nokia.com must not be working or supplying incorrect data.

Thanks!

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York

You also made my day! I thought it was something like windows time server that never worked for me until practically windows vista lol. I set it to supl.google.com and got an instant lock.

I'm also using T-mobile in upstate ny. It must be something with nokia's server.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North Carolina
Thanks for the tip. With nokia's server I was getting nowhere. With google it's damn near instant!

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin TX

This works for me too! Much appreciated.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
I opened up a bug:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7057

Feel free to add detailed comments regarding your situation if you can (if you are affected by the T-Mobile Network location issue)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypnotik For This Useful Post: