Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
In order to be relevant and widely read, assuming that is wanted, MWKN should be posted right here, with comments easy to make after each article. Of course an official copy could be kept elsewhere too.
It's posted under Community here, which makes sense, and comments are allowed by default.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
In order to be relevant and widely read, assuming that is wanted, MWKN should be posted right here, with comments easy to make after each article. Of course an official copy could be kept elsewhere too.
As Texrat says, it already is. . . .

It was interesting that the response to someone saying they didn't read the weekly news was along the lines of "well then, you aren't our target audience."

I would think that if your target audience is composed of those who currently read it, you are unlikely to expand your audience since you are not targeting new readers.
MWKN's motivation are about as selfish as they come: aggregate Maemo news from all sources (not just blogs as maemo.org/news does) so we don't have to spend time tracking every source for hours a day. If other people find it useful, well, that's just gravy.

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't seem to be working out so well, since just a few people have been finding the news and generating blurbs, it kind of defeats the purpose for them.

Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
Perhaps the real problem is that it appears on Planet Maemo...along with the very news it's trying to digest. Maybe Planet Maemo needs to be tweaked.
It sounds like you'd be better off following News than Planet, as this is the filtered version of the Planet feed.

Bottom line, I don't think Maemo News is really necessary, what we need is a better Planet Maemo. Then, if people don't want to read an article right now, they just keep their Planet rss feed "unread" until they can.
Bottom line, Planet Maemo aggregates only blogs, not Talk, IRC, the mailing lists, Bugzilla, non-Maemo sources, or the wider web as MWKN does.

I'm not a big fan of digests in general, I want small chunks I can read or dismiss, leaving interest articles to be read at my convenience. The digest format is actually....less digestible.
Which is fine for you, but not everybody agrees.

Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Please note, however, that the sentences written in red are quotations, and I don't believe we do any editing of those snippets.
It depends. Initially, no, now there's a small amount of editing for formating and obvious typos. Grammatically speaking, though, any errors are generally the fault of the source.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Still you raised a fair point: perhaps this should actually be referred to as a Digest rather than News?
It doesn't seem to be a problem for Linux Weekly News (LWN) or Wine Weekly News, though :-/

Similarly, the Maemo world rarely changes so quickly that items which are 6 days old are no longer relevant. Especially since anything which is no longer relevant doesn't make the issue.

Admittedly, I'm playing Devil's Advocate because:

I realize that raises some difficulty since MWKN is out there, but maybe worth considering...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
It was interesting that the response to someone saying they didn't read the weekly news was along the lines of "well then, you aren't our target audience."
Well, if someone already knows everything which is in the issue, no - there's not a lot of value they can gain. However, they could share that knowledge by contributing the links to the information as they find them!

Similarly, if things are being missed and too much is focused on development issues, or community issues, contribute the links to the application stuff that you think is missing! Or we can introduce a new section (I always fancied "troll of the week" ;-p) for content if it doesn't fit in one of the existing sections.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
i am interested to help... jus need some guidance.... i dun wanna start making criticism without first contributing.... =)

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Hmm, it would seem that Maemo needs more news to write about

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As Texrat says, it already is. . . .

MWKN's motivation are about as selfish as they come: aggregate Maemo news from all sources (not just blogs as maemo.org/news does) so we don't have to spend time tracking every source for hours a day. If other people find it useful, well, that's just gravy.

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't seem to be working out so well, since just a few people have been finding the news and generating blurbs, it kind of defeats the purpose for them.
I suspect that you (and Texrat) know that by suggesting that articles be posted here for comment, I wasn't suggesting that they be posted where they already are posted.

I had in mind that they be posted in the Talk area.

And the comments are often not "here" by practically any definition. They may be on other sites entirely.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I suspect that you (and Texrat) know that by suggesting that articles be posted here for comment, I wasn't suggesting that they be posted where they already are posted.

I had in mind that they be posted in the Talk area.

And the comments are often not "here" by practically any definition. They may be on other sites entirely.
Geneven... WTF?

The articles ARE posted in Talk, under Community as I said. And in that respect of course it's only natural comments are here by definition.

Were we due for another pointless entanglement? I lost track.

Tags
digest?, good news, help wanted, mwkn, news, no news