Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Can you also add an option like "current stream" or "now playing" to go back to the play.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Can you also add an option like "current stream" or "now playing" to go back to the play.
That shouldn't be too hard to add, let me give it a shot...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Can you also add an option to automatically download the podcasts and save them in the software to listen/watch them later?

And also an option to sort the podcasts by audio or video

Then i think it should be perfect!!!

I also have a similar idea for newsfeed app with a simple widget on the desktop which shows news (mostly from xml rss feeds).
A bit like the android geniewidget (news and meteo widget). Your apps are very clean and simple. The widget could be resizable as fettuccine widgets!!!

PS: talking about xml, i can't modify the one in first post (newsfeed.xml). I don't know why but it seems that it gets corrupted when i try to add other links. Anyway it's hard to find links (not as easy as fettuccine webcams) so if you have more links, update the file in the first post!!!!

, Well, enough typed!!! Thanks for this great app and Keep the good work!!!!!

Last edited by Boemien; 2014-07-23 at 03:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Can you also add an option to automatically download the podcasts and save them in the software to listen/watch them later?
Ah, well, just between you and me, quite a bit of the underlying guts of Linguine was ripped out of a longer-term project I've been working on, to manage collections of media retrieved from sources like RSS. (I'm a huge fan of Mike Duncan's history podcasts, but downloading the entire set every time I get a new device is an awful pain...)

But that project still has a long, long way to go. I'll see if I can implement something simpler in Linguine. (Until then, I should note that a decent general-purpose podcast client, such as gPodder, can probably be made to do all sorts of tricks beyond the abilities of Linguine...)

And also an option to sort the podcasts by audio or video
Absolutely! (Actually, I built that into the first iteration of Linguine, but I was having so many problems with video that I figured I'd have to ditch it and go with just audio podcasts...) I'm also thinking that filtering by language might be nice, or by country of origin, or even conservative / liberal (as a lot of the media in the US today has become completely partisan...).

Hmm. Probably the best thing to do would be to let the user tag the podcasts themselves, and sort by those tags. Everybody has their own favorite way of doing things.

I also have a similar idea for newsfeed app with a simple widget on the desktop which shows news (mostly from xml rss feeds).
Hmm. There already is a standard RSS widget that comes with Maemo... I guess I don't really use it much, as I personally don't find trying to read through long lists of news items on a cellphone very comfortable. (Let alone such a list crammed into a little desktop widget. This is one widget that I'd resize to be as large as possible! ) But yeah, Linguine as a widget would work for me; a widget that showed just a single line of text, or heck, even just an icon showing that there was a new audio news item available, that I could then click on and listen to; that's something that I might go for... Let me take a look at it. (But yeah, do check out the existing RSS widget and see what you think about it!)

PS: talking about xml, i can't modify the one in first post (newsfeed.xml). I don't know why but it seems that it gets corrupted when i try to add other links. Anyway it's hard to find links (not as easy as fettuccine webcams) so if you have more links, update the file in the first post!!!!
Will do! Sorry about the crappyness of my current XML parser, I really did just throw it together very quickly. (It has absolutely no user-friendliness, and is probably buggy to boot. I'll improve it as I have time...) Thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
....Hmm. There already is a standard RSS widget that comes with Maemo... I guess I don't really use it much, as I personally don't find trying to read through long lists of news items on a cellphone very comfortable....
Let me take the ball while is still bouncing..
I suppose you are not the only one not using the N900 rss readers... i can't find one good working solution for a reader with a decent widget and a good management of rss bookmarks.
Yes, it's not supposed to have the same functions of a desktop application...but at least a nice customizable widget for a quick overview of latest news. ..Hoping someone would pick up the request

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Let me take the ball while is still bouncing..
I suppose you are not the only one not using the N900 rss readers... i can't find one good working solution for a reader with a decent widget and a good management of rss bookmarks.
Yes, it's not supposed to have the same functions of a desktop application...but at least a nice customizable widget for a quick overview of latest news. ..Hoping someone would pick up the request
YEAH!!! That's what i had in mind. the stock one is very to use!!! For sure someone will pick up the request!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Yes, it's not supposed to have the same functions of a desktop application...but at least a nice customizable widget for a quick overview of latest news.
Well, as I do now have an RSS parser and the ability to create widgets, let me ask: what would make a good RSS reader? I did a quick google of the "genie widget", and most of the screenshots seem to show it taking up the full screen; is there a good way to deal with RSS data in a tiny widget window? (On the other hand, perhaps a full-screen widget would work in this case; the Maemo UI guidelines specify that widgets should never take up more than half the screen, but with so many desktop screens available, I kind of like the idea of being able to dedicate an entire desktop to a single task...)

And what features should a good RSS reader support?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
- widget size should be customizable (size or entries)
- there should be a way to select the categories that should be checked in the widget (if i have 20 bookmarks, have all of them in the widget is a mess)
- custonizable actions (update,scroll, open THAT entry)
Just a few ideas, most of times what we need is a quick overview to decide what is interesting.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
... what features should a good RSS reader support?
Sorry to ask a silly question but do we need another RSS feed reader?
I actually like the stock one, it's not perfect but I assume it nothing that couldn't be fixed as the sources (widget and reader) are available.

Set to open MicroB straight from the widget, it works fine for my news feeds.

There are a couple iof RSS applications in extras too including FeedingIt

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
@sixwheeledbeast
I tried every feed reader application. None of those is ready for a daily use.(sorry for the authors)
Probably the stock one is the best but after a few hours you can discover all the missing settings that make the widget far from be usable.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:

Tags
podcast, rss reader