This is also happening with Ovi Suite.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
The fact that the N900 is connected does not mean that it is able to sent recive data. You can check that when tethering whenever it does that use the internet on the phone without removing the USB cable. You can either ping a website of your choice or use your favourite browser on the N900. So that you know if the problem is at home or the mobile operator

It seems like tethering is disconnected and on the phone the 3G connection is dropped to 2.5G. Not sure what is going on. My Pidgin messenger is logged in via N900 phone, so phone connection, there is no disruption.

Originally Posted by meme View Post
It seems like tethering is disconnected and on the phone the 3G connection is dropped to 2.5G. Not sure what is going on. My Pidgin messenger is logged in via N900 phone, so phone connection, there is no disruption.
It does happen to me that skype is online, shows that I am online yet I cannot send or recive IM at that moment. So this alone does not prove that your N900 is connected and the internet works orderly. Why do you assume the the problem is on your side before properly investigate it? If the problem is with the tower your N900 is connected to it will happen no matter what you do to your device...

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I have recently experiencing N900 tethering frequent disconnect with T-mobile?

Anyone know what maybe the cause?
Which T-Mobile (what country)?

Define "tethering". Using phone as a modem? Bluetooth? USB networking? Mobile hotspot? etc.

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
Which T-Mobile (what country)?

Define "tethering". Using phone as a modem? Bluetooth? USB networking? Mobile hotspot? etc.
He/She has mentioned the method used as USB tring both OVI suite and PC suite.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
From what the OP is saying, it sounds like he is in on T-mobile US.

For what it is worth, I am also a T-mobile US customer. I have not had any problems tethering (via USB) a N900 with both a windows computer utilizing OVI Suite and a laptop with Ubuntu. However, I have a grandfathered "Total Internet" plan that does not explicitly disallow tethering.

To the OP: what APN are you using? Switching the APN to internet2.voicestream.com might help your situation...

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
From what the OP is saying, it sounds like he is in on T-mobile US.

For what it is worth, I am also a T-mobile US customer. I have not had any problems tethering (via USB) a N900 with both a windows computer utilizing OVI Suite and a laptop with Ubuntu. However, I have a grandfathered "Total Internet" plan that does not explicitly disallow tethering.

To the OP: what APN are you using? Switching the APN to internet2.voicestream.com might help your situation...
How do you check the APN and to switch APN to internet2.voicestream.com?

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ philly
i use to love t-mobile until they tried to explain to me that, unlimited data usage or web really means ur only entitled to 5gb of data usage each month, made me sick when took me down from 4g to 2.5g. i was stuck with 2.5g for 3 weeks, man was i

I live in India, I have the same problem with Airtel 3G.

It gets disconnected. but the icon remains.