Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Cap, many of the things you list are exactly what GStreamer does.

PS. My personal yet-to-be custom cam project is cam2book, where you could take quick snaps of a publication and end up with a cbr or pdf file which would then be easy to view <plug>for example with pyqtoreader</plug>, and also easy to share since it is a single file.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Cap, many of the things you list are exactly what GStreamer does.

PS. My personal yet-to-be custom cam project is cam2book, where you could take quick snaps of a publication and end up with a cbr or pdf file which would then be easy to view <plug>for example with pyqtoreader</plug>, and also easy to share since it is a single file.
Thanks Atilla! I shall have to look more deeply into gStreamer!

I like the sound of your project! It would be so useful to be able to use the phone as document capturing device! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

}:^)~

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
To throw some oil in the fire: It will be probably possible one to use photoshop.com on N900 when the accelerated Flash 10.1 comes around Its more like the Lightroom, but nevertheless...
I already tested gphoto2, dcraw and ufraw (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/) to develop RAW photos transferred via USB to my 770. Unfortunately that hardware is way too thin to make something usable (took more than 5 minutes for a single dcraw pass).

My current pet project is to transfer (backup) camera raws to a phone via Eye-Fi / Joikuspot to allow camera storage increase for photo shoots during holidays. Basic photo storage, develop and editing via ufraw, with direct upload to Flickr/Picasa/photoshop.com and direct print seems to me like a killer portable computer application.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
eiffel, I could imagine taking a photo of the sleeve of a CD/Album and using the 'tineye.com' API(?) to match the photo with the album.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duffer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I'm currently working on a project where I use an embedded Linux PC to control a remote digital camera. This runs gphoto2, ntpd and an ftp sever.

It would be easy to do this on the N900, except it doesn't have a tripod mount!
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Does anyone know if it is possible to capture a "raw" image, or perhaps a .tif? Currently I believe the output is only .jpg, and they are processed. I could see times where it would be nice to capture all the details the imager would allow and post process somewhere else, if desired.

Hey thorbo,

This is potentially one use of the framework that's being discussed in this very thread! Of course we're in the brainstorming phase, so it's not available just yet.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
How about if you take a video and turn all the way around, keeping the horizon "in the frame". Then the computational photography application turns this into a 3200x480 wrap-around wallpaper for the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Indeed these are some great ideas, and this is all possible! Even moreso if there's a framework that individuals could easily build applications against. It's better than re-inventing the wheel specifically for the car so-to-speak.

The node-based (or graph-based) implementation ensures easy 'stitching' of plugins for combination functionality. For example, taking a series of images and compiling them into a panorama, then spitting it out as a cut-up series of 4 800x480 pictures, and writing them to a specific maemo directory. With the right plugins, a talented developer could build such an app in less than a week: the majority of the work would be handled via the framework!

Keep the ideas coming! Incidentally, if you have any ideas for data-structures, algorithms, implementation ideas, etc, now is the time to contribute your thoughts! I'd like to start compiling a list of ideas and algorithms and eventually create a wiki.

I see this potentially being a HUGE component for maemo and future maemo devices. We are in a position to set the trend for the industry. Young and old people alike would enjoy using their cameras in more creative ways!

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
I'm not sure it qualifies as computational photography but I still vote for a "translate street signs" type of deal. Firstly because I like the idea, secondly because AR is hot right now and thirdly because I *think* it is at least semi-doable...

Maybe the "computational photography" part would be text recognition. Ideally from a live a videofeed but statically from a photo would be a fine start in my book.

What I mean with text recognition is software which takes an image containing text (for instance a street sign), identifies the text as such and processes it to a point where it could be fed to an OCR program such as ocrfeeder, That would let you capture text from a photo (or ideally a live camera feed) to do with what you like. My personal favourite is to send it to google translate and overlay the translated text on the photo (or to be able to call it AR, on that live videofeed).

I posted the suggestion on Joaquim Rocha's blogpost regarding the ocrfeeder port and he basically said he was already thinking along those lines, so he might be interested in having more people working on it..?

Tags
computational photography