Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
Sorry to insist but I'm a bit confused now, seen Meamo is already (IMHO) rather "user friendly" and great with power consumption (on my N800 anyway) so why then not use this instead of trying to make those other distro's more "like meamo"?
Or do I miss something obvious?
Well, first off - Maemo doesn't really give the choice to run other environments other than Hildon. Two, Nokia has said that next version of the OS may not support the N8x0's - much to the dismay of the large userbase - so they'd be left in the cold regarding system updates. Three, porting to Maemo is notoriously difficult occasionally because of the fact they haven't bothered to follow up with updates Debian and deriatives have kept up with, and broken many APIs, which I believe harms the platform. Four, - because it's fun to work with and play with - a system you can completely modify to your will. Isn't that something?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
already asking (assuming maemo can be ported) to see if there are any (political? - not sure how much Nokia is involved in the actual maemo.org stuff) reasons.
maemo.org runs more and more independently as the community takes control. I can't answer for the council part, but be sure that Nokia has no problems with any kind of project attempting to run Maemo in other devices, as there is no problem with any projects attempting to run OSs different than Maemo in Nokia devices. In fact we like to see cool platform hacks around!

[/QUOTE]Edit: is there somewhere a more or less detailed overview of what exactly is closed source (besides HW drivers?) that may need replacement and where there is none yet?[/QUOTE]

https://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Components_and_packages and specifically https://garage.maemo.org/docman/view...s-20080725.ods

It would be really useful if someone would find specific and unavoidable showstoppers to run Maemo in OpenPandora or any other hardware.

It would also be really useful if someone would find specific packages (or versions of packages) becoming a pain, and the reasons why.

Bugs and enhancement requests in this direction would be welcome. A first step is also to ask why the affected packages are closed: http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Thankx Qgil !
A quick glance at the "why" is already telling me that "power management stuff" is closed source , so basically any port of Maemo would need to rewrite that... And Is see also that "most of the OS2008 UI is closed source"
Looks like already a rather big hurdle to me and basically would not leave much left from the "maemo experiance" i have now on my N800...

But is the "power management stuff" even essential in a port? That's basically a kernel part, isn't it? OpenPandora would use its own kernel version I think. (I looked at the specs again.. 4000mAh battery! The power management part can probably wait ))

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Thankx Qgil !
A quick glance at the "why" is already telling me that "power management stuff" is closed source , so basically any port of Maemo would need to rewrite that... And Is see also that "most of the OS2008 UI is closed source"
Looks like already a rather big hurdle to me and basically would not leave much left from the "maemo experiance" i have now on my N800...
Well, I know a few people have Maemo booting on the Beagle, so the issue is mostly finagling the hardware-specific stuff out and figuring out how to set up the initfs.

I did as much as using the TI reference kernel (2.6.22) to try to boot a backup of Diablo I had on the SD card and watching it fail miserably since the initfs wasn't there.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one person on #beagle who has done it, so you may ask around there.

Honestly, though, Stskeeps is right. You're better off just using Ubuntu or Debian (though neither of them are optimized for armv7), and simply setting up the Hildon desktop environment on there (since that stuff is all open source anyway). This approach is actually going to be even better moving forward, as even the tablet-browser-ui (or whatever actually replaces) it will be open in Fremantle.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-10-13 at 14:39.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Thank you all a lot for the information...
The message is clear It makes more sense for now to put effort behind Ubuntu Mobile or deblet or Angstrom...
And even if you get the initfs stuff working, from you're last comments it looks like it might even make a lot of sense to wait for Fremantle for the UI part...

Last edited by polossatik; 2008-10-13 at 16:35.

Thank you all a lot for the information...
The message is clear It makes more sense for now to put effort behind Ubuntu Mobile or deblet or Angstrom...
And even if you get the initfs stuff working, from you're last comments it looks like it might even make a lot of sense to wait for Fremantle for the UI part...
Does that mean, that you don't intend to go further with maemo4 on pandora and instead wait for fremantle? From reading the roadmap that will take a fair while. Would it be possible to integrate hildon into an other distro to be able to use maemo progs(microB)?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by derhorst View Post
Would it be possible to integrate hildon into an other distro to be able to use maemo progs(microB)?
Hildon is already packaged for Debian and Ubuntu (Ubuntu MID is using Hildon, also see johnx's beta2 release of Debian), it's just a matter of stitching everything together to get a nice, polished desktop environment like Nokia has done.

Of course you'll need to substitute in a lot of the stuff to replace Nokia closed-source UI-differentiation nonsense (various taskbar, statusbar, and home applets, etc.), but it gives you much better compatibility, and more versatility.

Take the good of Maemo without all the bad.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-10-13 at 22:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
So a brief perusal of the spreadsheet linked above shows that maemo running (legally) on 3rd party hardware would be missing quite a few things that are included in OS2008:
- microb web browser
- image viewer
- media player
- notes application
- sketch application
- contacts application
- most of the control panel
- most of the status bar applets
- most of the desktop applets
- most of the themes
- various system dialogs and notifications
- others likely, this is just a short list.
Also remember that the following are closed source and likely legally tied to the Nokia tablets as well:
- flash

At that point you have to ask yourself whether you're better off spending time filling in those gaps with open source stuff or just bringing over your favorite maemo apps to another desktop.

-John

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
The important thing for me would be to have microB on pandora, because I think there is no faster handheld-browser out there(yet). I own a N800 and never would sell it, because I would still use it for certain tasks. So I think, I would have the right to use the closed software on every device capable of running it, as long as I have the license, which I've purchased along with the device itself.

Tags
maemo, pandora, sdk