Active Topics

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
If you're concerned about trying raw untested updates, then I highly recommend you try the CSSU Stable version. CSSU brings many bug fixes, a replacement Camera UI (research this though), and portrait mode, amongst other updates. Considering how you're starting from a freshly flashed device (btw make sure you flash both the eMMC and the kernel - it's all in your link), I don't think there's any real harm in trying CSSU. I fully endorse Mike's advice to install and use Backupmenu - it's probably THE most important piece of software you can install on it.

Have a read through the following thread for a discussion on the issue:
talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81522

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i would suggest you start with the vanilla Maemo until you feel comfortable with X-Terminal (apt-get, aptitude, dpkg and all that sort of rubbish)
(tip: install mc (midnight commander) if you want to dive into X-terminal (which you should probably do BEFORE tackling CSSU))
personally i have two N900, one which i use as my mobile phone (/ pocket computer) and the other as a testbed for, well, lately i was testing the most recent version of Kernel Power, battery patch, speed patch and the like... so, i though after reading "that other thread were everything is explained..." (that about summarizes the discussion over there ) that i would throw CSSU into the lot; the device was working without problem PRIOR to CSSU; after installing CSSU, the only thing that i could do was... reflashing
thus, my advice (after over 1 1/2 yr of N900 and over 15 yrs of Linux / GNU) stick to vanilla for now

btw, welcome to the N900 community and lot of fun with your device

EDIT: in all fairness, even while re-flashing it, i thought that i should give CSSU... a fair chance on a "clean" device, that is without all the other things; especially FCAM, considering that CSSU also updates the camera feature....
have to look into that

then again, if i have to choose between CSSU and FCAM, i guess i'll go for FCAM
@ least it has (described) features, whereas CSSU...
First of all, thanks for your welcome - good to see some humour around here too

Yes, I will most likely go with you suggestion to try myself on vanilla to get the basics.
Just wondering as I browse http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php if I just have to pick RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin and will be set or if I'd also need to upgrade it with RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin ?
Something I couldn't figure out from reading the faq on http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware.

Again thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
before you do anything you should install backup menu and make a full backup of opt and root

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63975

once you have this installed you can easily restore your system to the condition it was in when making the backup without flashing

also use the power search on the right under the 2 banner ads the forum search sucks
tried to install it but I get a message of missing program packages:
bootmenu
tar.gnu
i2c-tools
mtd-util

Last edited by RX-51; 2012-01-21 at 23:32.

Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
[...do] I just have to pick RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin and will be set or if I'd also need to upgrade it with RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin ?
Something I couldn't figure out from reading the faq on http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware.

[...]
download RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin
and
RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin

then flash the EMMC FIRST with command
Code:
./flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f
and as soon as it finishes
Code:
./flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
(the commands have to be on ONE line, obviously...)

this should provide you a factory grade software configuration.
personnaly, i find it less cumbersome to do that whenever something goes wrong & then restore my settings (& installed programs) from a backup (the safe in the application menu; this requires of course that you either make the backup on a mSDHC card of copy it off the EMMC before re-flashing it & put it back afterward)
then using backup_menu; tried it once but somehow didn't work out for me
and it's not like i'm not "reflashing" my OSes on my PC(s) routinely with partimage or FSARCHIVER

nota bene: backup does not save your programs, it only saves the list; restoring them requires a network connection (preferably Wi-Fi, obviously) so that the latest versions can be downloaded anew...

EDIT: the errors about missing dependencies you got when trying to install b-m probably came from that you tried to install it from the link provided in the post; you need to add the repositories (catalogs in NOKIA's parlance); @ least extra-testing (and if you are not easily scared... dev )
go to this page with your N900 (there are links to install the catalogs automatically)
http://www.nokiadistrict.com/reposit...or-nokia-n900/

Last edited by misterc; 2012-01-22 at 00:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
I finally got it flashed successfully. Had to remove the battery between 13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin and 36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin installation.
I'm just wondering why I was greeted with the correct time and date as the n900 started up again supposed to be a clean install.
Still I get "First steps" displayed...wondering where I can check if both have been installed successfully .bin's?

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
if everything went as stated in the wiki ...flasher connecting uploading images blah blah it installed fine. Ive flashed plenty of times and it has kept time and date

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2012-01-22 at 03:32.

Enjoyed the device the last days. Working in program manager takes ridiculous long until it displays anything at all or something was installed and the view is supposed to refresh; easily 3 minutes+.
I ran into two problems yet.
My sd card doesn't seem to be recognized I tried to mount/unmount (mount /dev/mmcblk1p1) it but there is none recognized at all. In file manager none is displayed either, also did root before.

Yes, I went through various threads, been in x-terminal to type into the commands, removed the back - watched the lines, nothing about mmc. I've tried two different sd cards, both are fine on windows and another nokia (symbian) phone.
When I tried fdisk I was asked for a password and 12345 was not accepted. That should be the default pass, no?
Is there some starter thread I've missed?

I had to mount MyDocs first before it was recognized when I installed via sh command too - strange.

Ext2/3 mmc has to be mounted manually. FAT get mounted automatically, but no eXecutable etc rights can be set on files, so your decision.
For Faster Application Manager I would suggest Faster Application Manager (FAPman).

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
I'm just wondering why I was greeted with the correct time and date as the n900 started up again supposed to be a clean install.

If you had a SIM in, it could have gotten it from the tower. If not, it does have a real-time clock built in that does OK at tracking time. The only time you really lose it is when the battery has been out for a while (>5 mins).

As for the password not being default and such... that would indicate you didn't flash correctly. The wiki has lots of advice on that one.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Ext2/3 mmc has to be mounted manually. FAT get mounted automatically, but no eXecutable etc rights can be set on files, so your decision.
For Faster Application Manager I would suggest Faster Application Manager (FAPman).
I created patch for CSSU (ke-recv) to automount all filesystem types, not only FAT. And patch can also mount FAT part with exec mode.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=111

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post: