Was: n800
Current: N900
Future (in three years): Android (or Meego if it's good) with a specific hardware set in mind. Won't need to carry a pocketable mobile computer once I am out of school.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
* to be without a mobile phone after unforeseeable battery drains of the N900 in the middle of the day

Just keep a couple of pre charged batteries in your pocket, problem solved.

* to wait for necessary prio 0 bug fixes for months

But for me the fact that the n900 is not yet all that it promises makes it more exciting, bit like growing up really.

* to do all the necessary micro-tweaking of the device

Obviously you are a nerd, geeks love tweaking stuff and derive a great deal of pleasure from doing it.

* to wait for the Ovi Store to contain meaningful apps for the N900

Don't make me laugh, you seem to have little insight as to why open source is a much more profound philosophy than closed source, how sad that you fail to understand how alchemy turned into chemistry.

* to be a guinea pig for Nokia's market research

Of all your comments this is the most ludicrous of all, perhaps you have forgotten that Nokia is the biggest mobile phone manufacturer in the world.

* to wait for Nokia to come up with any kind of statement of direction / roadmap for the N900 /

Hopefully Nokia can make inroads as to teaching us bumbling bipeds, what difference open source can make to the human condition, and believe me it has got a lot more to do with the way human society works than just IT.

Maemo / MeeGo
* to wait for Nokia to come up with a plan how to re-invent itself after it's n+1st business reorganization

That is your only comment that I resonate with, I also fail to see why the market droids want to engineer a fork between Maemo, Meego and Debian, unless its the sad proclivity, for market droids to teach the controversy and thus divide and rule.

* to be without a mobile phone after unforseeable battery drains of the N900 in the middle of the day

see above.

* tbc ...

pass.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Points one and eight identical "by intention"?

In other words, you intended to say

# to be without a mobile phone after unforseeable battery drains of the N900 in the middle of the day

and follow it up with

# to be without a mobile phone after unforseeable battery drains of the N900 in the middle of the day

deliberately?

Why?

I'm goin' to the stable to beat some more dead horses.

Because it's what we do here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
Obviously you doesnt want a perfect little computer, and you arent a geek (using linux for 25 years=!be geek), its not your fault, i think you did good buying the desire, if it makes you happy its fine but....
Why whinning in N900 thread and not into the competitors zone?
That say a lot of you

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
- I got exactly what I wanted...
- There is nothing else out there like it in the foreseeable future.
- I never use it as my primary phone.
- I have used the slide out keyboard about 4 times and usually just for easier access to a colon
- I use it every day and have done so since December.

After tweaking, hacking, playing. and trying different things what I now have is:

- a decent PND that I have loaded with my own specialty POI's (specific to what I do, how, and where I do it) ...

- A very good media player with over a 4,000 tunes, videos, radio stations, and podcasts filed the way I want them and that display or play how I want them to.

- Instant access to web sites also the way I want them and when I want them.

- SSH access to the whole shebang from my Windows desktop so I can learn and feel comfortable in a Linux environment without changing machines either virtually or physically.

- Easy remote access and control to my ever expanding home and work networks (buy CSCO when it goes below 25)

I see no real limits for what this device can do in the near future. I go through phones every 6 months or so and I replace them with the smallest pocket-able clamshell I can find that works on my network.
I don't want the features that the N900 gives me on my phone.
The fact that the N900 can be used as a phone is a bonus and should be expected from anything that uses a 3G connection... but I never intended for it to be my primary phone.

-

SLN member # 009

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Yes , aha , hhmmm yeah right , I know what you mean...indeed!
Attached Images

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
I'm going to go for a walk, find some high ground, drop my trousers and piss into the wind.

Originally Posted by Barts View Post
I'm going to go for a walk, find some high ground, drop my trousers and piss into the wind.
Make sure the wind is at your back....

Doc

What in the world is up with all the agitprop on this site nowadays? There must be some serious stealth marketers looking to pick up business.

Tags
whining, worst thread