Don't forget one of the main reasons:
Unlike the iphone we never got working GL drivers from f***ing PowerVR/imgtec and thus were unable to make a competitive UI for the N800/N810 series tablets - hell it's still in bad shape on N900 with tearing and stuff...

The Following User Says Thank You to anders_gud For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
If you know it to be 'a pile of crap' then please give us the real s**t. Maybe you've been in touch with Eldar?

There has to be some good reason Nokia's plans failed to launch. I thought he made reasonable points.
The main problem with that article is that it is not honest. It is only whining and made up historical nonsense. For instance WebOS, Palm used several years to come up with it, and when they finally launched it, nobody wanted it. Palm was sold to HP, and they have yet to sell a single phone.

The problem with Maemo/MeeGo is that it is ultimately a very bad concept altogether for Nokias future OS. The future consists of closed OSes, streamlined stuff, modern stuff that has one main purpose: make it easy for people to connect/use the ecosystem. Apple has walked up the path. WP will provide this, MeeGo will not. What this mean is that very few people at Nokia believed in the future of MeeGo-Qt-Symbian, they wanted something else, something real, something similar to what Symbian used to be. The MeeGo-Qt-Symbian route didn't catch any enthusiasm, because the concept is ultimately flawed.

When you analyse, be honest, or stfu and stop whining.

This is real:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu..._smartphon.php

Last edited by ericsson; 2011-02-26 at 07:55.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
interesting article....

".....seen a broadly positive reaction from the industry"

comment made without actually citing people or industry figures.

add that to the lots of "In my view", "I believe" , "In my opinion" statements and what you have is merely an editorial from one person with their particular perspective and no different than the opinions here that you're calling cr*p....

troll

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
There's so many things in that article that are direct errors or just general misinformation without even covering background/listing opposite points. As well as relying on one source for a large bunch of quotes where it ends up being a slamfest. And don't even get me started on the obvious bias. What happened to objective 'journalism'?

There are -some- points that are probably correct, but it has been mangled horribly and lost in a really bad article :/

How can anyone be 'forced to stop developing' when other people don't put the development in? What would be typical closed source behaviour is if the git trees were shut down, no patches accepted.. instead it stayed open, so did the requirements process, if anyone wanted to invest time, so they could.

Let me tell you how: because he was essentially packaging the efforts, not actually developing netbook improvements.

Sigh. Back to work (yes, we're actually still working on MeeGo.com for ARM and the N900 hardware adaptation)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
If Nokia had truly made the N900 FULLY open source then for sure Maemo would have been successful.

No programmer can get past closed source anything and the real reason Maemo flunked out of exsistance for Nokia.

Had Nokia put more trust in the community of would be programmers for Maemo by letting everything be open by negotiation with their own team that built the device we would be looking at a completely different success story for Maemo.

Meego will suffer the same losses simply because companies are too damm greedy and want to capitolize their own investments instead of looking broadly into the future.

If the day ever comes that Nokia or a company like them manufacture a 100% open device only then will it be a success.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I read it and some interesting points but for love of god what is this smeegol guy doing in every single piece of blog lately?

One thing that is very clear in all of that ... 2 giants together must succeed simply because of the amount of money they have and joint teamwork , resources etc.

Albeit now everyone doubts this move mainly because of personal feeling getting in the way of good judgement but one thing for sure it WILL be a successful partnership and the Windows everything will win the day.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-02-26 at 09:14.

Maemo will now always be a sideline for geeks and will never move forward from what it is now.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Abill: you sound a bit scattered today. Not quite together, if you know what I mean.

Is everything okay?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
utter nonsense, we want bada