Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
The simple problem with N9 is that it is not "mature", with much missing from the device. Battery, speed, and swipe are all good. Everything else is elementary with tiny fonts, security lock problems, tiny VKB and little apps.
One of the most important things for me would be the ease with which I can find things on maps.. I'm so used to being able to open up google maps, type "pizza (city)" or "window tint" and seeing the options in my area, clicking one and getting directions to there (even if it's not turn-by-turn, coz i'm on a desktop). I fiddled with Nokia Maps on my father's N8 when he was visiting, but we were using it offline so I don't know how it works normally, and he doesn't ahve any apps at all besides the stock stuff.

I have limited xp with smartphones, but from what I remember on my sister's iphone and some androids was that it was very easy to do the above. offline maps is great, and i will use them when i'm in the boonies or traveling overseas (which i will be doing), but i am a slave to google..

other stuff is more like frills, to me.

scanning for price checks online would be neat.. i saw there is a 2d scanner now, but not sure exactly what it does.

i really would like to get this phone, but part of me is steering towards an android..

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by D.Cent View Post

-I live in Germany - so what about warranty in my country (e.g. if I import from Austria)?
Limited Warranty is enforceable EU-wide thanks to EU laws.
It's been discussed dozens of times and confirmed.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-27 at 06:14.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ KL, Msia
Originally Posted by D.Cent View Post
I love my N900 for its openness, but it is too slow for me sometimes (don't want to overclock), I would like a working navigation with voice and I love the Swipe UI (already tested it).

Basically, money is not a problem - however, there are still some questions:

-I live in Germany - so what about warranty in my country (e.g. if I import from Austria)?
-Is porting applications to this phone much more difficult than porting to N900? Currently I use scratchbox on a openSUSE PC (e.g. to port xskat, brainparty, ...)
-About the battery life - how good is the battery in comparison to N900?
-Does the battery lose capacity from time to time? (Since I can't switch the battery, I would have to send the phone in every time)
-Can I simply use my normal SIM card and cut the edges off so it fits into the MicroSIM slot?

The only thing I would miss is a FM transmitter, but that's not too important.
- Don't know.
- There is scratchbox for Harmattan SDK, it works OK.
- About twice the lifespan, maybe more.
- I don't think so, battery technology has improved over the years.
- Yes, you can cut it.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Porting applications from Maemo5 is not straightforward due to incomplete Qt libraries. The GUI has to be re-done which is why we are not seeing a lot of Maemo5 apps ported to Harmattan..
I think you mean Gtk....
That was the predominant GUI library used for Maemo 5.

There was some mob contracted to do a port at the beginning of the year.
But I guess that got pulled by Elop & co, as I haven't heard anything since.
I can't recall if it was a re-adaptation of it all to Qt, or a straight port.

Some users have had a crack at starting a port themselves.
That may be what we have to rely on in-the-end...

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-27 at 06:52.

Originally Posted by qorax View Post
Once again, do we really need this?
I didn't yet test the N9 GPS - actually I don't require that - my Garmin works just fine, which is again always in the car.

I guess it's all about personal choice. Thus, reflecting on the OP's query - "Would the N9 fit my needs?" - to me it does - perfectly.

Qorax
OP requested "navigation with voice" so I assume it's important for him.

Originally Posted by original_z View Post
One of the most important things for me would be the ease with which I can find things on maps.. I'm so used to being able to open up google maps, type "pizza (city)" or "window tint" and seeing the options in my area, clicking one and getting directions to there (even if it's not turn-by-turn, coz i'm on a desktop). I fiddled with Nokia Maps on my father's N8 when he was visiting, but we were using it offline so I don't know how it works normally, and he doesn't ahve any apps at all besides the stock stuff.

I have limited xp with smartphones, but from what I remember on my sister's iphone and some androids was that it was very easy to do the above. offline maps is great, and i will use them when i'm in the boonies or traveling overseas (which i will be doing), but i am a slave to google..

other stuff is more like frills, to me.

scanning for price checks online would be neat.. i saw there is a 2d scanner now, but not sure exactly what it does.

i really would like to get this phone, but part of me is steering towards an android..
THIS x 10000! You hit the nail on the head. Nokia Map's search algorithm is a joke compared to Google Map's search. I've had an E72, N8, E6, and N9 along with a Droid X and Droid X2 so I speak from real experience. For example, if I type in Car Wash into any of my Nokias it directs me to a city 2k miles away from me called Wash. Mind you, this is with Nokia Maps in Online mode. Search, in its current state, is a disaster in Nokia Maps.

I really hope someone in Nokia wakes up to the fact that they need to step up their 'Search' game. Besides that though I really do like Nokia Maps. Aside of course from the fact that they decided to exclude street names from the N9 and Lumia 800 in the voice navigation when driving. Why they did this absolutely boggles my mind.

@OP

Each have their strengths & weaknesses, search on some of the threads comparing Nokia Maps to Google maps.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
@OP

Each have their strengths & weaknesses, search on some of the threads comparing Nokia Maps to Google maps.
I'm fine with each of them having their own strengths.. not intending to compare them. I know that when I go visit my parents overseas I will not be roaming, and Nokia/Ovi maps will be great for offline use. When I am in the US I would like to use google because I am used to it and find it exemplary.

Will this app, CloudGPS, do what I am looking to do in the US ? thx !

alternatively, as I am truly clueless, may I ask if what I am looking for is already possible on the N9 (not nokia/ovi maps) ?

sorry if I am diverging slightly from the OP, but I felt it woudl be better not to start a similar thread when one exists.

Originally Posted by original_z View Post
Will this app, CloudGPS, do what I am looking to do in the US ? thx !
No idea sorry, try asking in the CloudGPS thread at forum.meego.com.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Google maps with online-only navigation is a joke when driving abroad or taking the wrong turn in an area with weak or no GSM reception.

Nokia does not sell the N9 officially in Germany, but some MediaMarkt stores (somebody saw it in Berlin) have them. When bought at MediaMarkt, I suppose the warranty issues can be handled via the store.
Since some stores have, it might be possible to order it at any MediaMarkt.

Last edited by pycage; 2011-12-27 at 13:23. Reason: typo