i've been hearing about diablo and android. what are these exactly, how well do they work in comparison with OS 2008, and are there certain risks in installing them? sorry for all these questions. i'm very new to this as always been a mac user and have just entered the world of linux-based electronics.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Van Nuys, Ca
The N810 is not susceptible to Windows based viruses. However, it is possible (though unlikely) to pass along a virus to a PC. Generally, the antivirus programs you find for Linux are so you can scan files that are taken from or shared with Windows. To partially answer your other question OS2008 is Diablo.

The Following User Says Thank You to DPelletier For This Useful Post:
ok i see. that was very helpful.
has anyone tried android?

plzzzz i need help! i have my n810 since 2 perfect weeks. and all of a sudden without installing any new appl or anything my n810 started to have very heavy start up+ cpu indicator shows high laoding ..so i wait untill the cpu load become low so when i connect to the wifi the n810 freezes and reboot somtimes hang!!

p.s. when i connect throgh BT strangly there is no freezes or anything!! where could be the problem from the cpu laoding or wifi encryption that the tablet can't handle anymore(WEP)? ALTHOUGH MY ROUTER DOESN'R HAVE ANY CHANGES IN SETTINGS EVER!!

PLZZZ HELP I REFLASH IT TWICE NOW WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AGAIN AND AGAIN!!

You have a lot of questions.

Might want to try the IRC room.

I'm going to link you to my post about OSes, I hope it helps. Also continued here. Despite the bad grammar, some slight factual inaccuracies, I think there some good points in there somewhere. Full thread here.

To be clear, you really aren't likely to get a virus on these devices as they run Linux, are ARM, and because you stick to the official & official-unofficial package repositories.

I suspect it would be possible for a Flash virus or python script to do damage but the chances of that approach nill. You might install a buggy package but nothing malicious.

And if you have any problems, it's easy to backup, flash the device and be back up in running very quickly.

Oh and http://wiki.maemo.org/Category:Users might help too.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Hi, I am a medical student using the n810 as a resource and so far i have only found medical apps that work using palm emulators. Are there any native maemo medical apps or a way to run windows mobile/palm/pocketpc/iphone apps in maemo. Thank you so much!