Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by nahkiainen View Post
It's more like 1EUR = 1,5USD.
Yup. 1.53 to 1 when I exchanged last week.

Don't believe that was anjin's point. I read the statement to say that the costs between US prices and European pricing was "AS IF" the exchange rate was US$1 = 1EUR rather then reflecting the actual exchange rate.

All I can say to the original comment is...so? For DECADES we lived and in many ways still do live with a huge pricing disparity between here and other places in the world. So, welcome to the club.

Perhaps there is a greater EU/local import tax on these sort of goods compared to those in the US.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
They should have debuted at $399 to begin with. $479 was a little too much to pay considering the n800 was at 230.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Madrid Spain
usa store: $389.99

italian store: €459,00

I imagine that in usa is not considerating tax and in italy yes around 20%
In all cases if we think that euro is stronger then euro it seems to me worst!!!

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted by anjin View Post
usa store: $389.99

italian store: €459,00

I imagine that in usa is not considerating tax and in italy yes around 20%
In all cases if we think that euro is stronger then euro it seems to me worst!!!
I feel your pain. There always seems to be a unjustifiable price gap across the Atlantic. Copy of 3dsMax retails for about $3000USD in US and Canada, same piece of software is £3000 in the UK. They claim the increase in pricing is due to language support in Europe

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
I kind of understand this price gap when it comes to US branded devices - but hey Nokia is from Finland. Lowest price for today is 434 EUR..

@ brecklundin: got the anjin's point.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
I kind of understand this price gap when it comes to US branded devices - but hey Nokia is from Finland. Lowest price for today is 434 EUR.
Actually the cheapest Finnish price that I have found is 419 euros (428e with delivery).

They should drop the price in similar fashio ($1=1€) but I guess now they actually use the correct exchange rate and price drops 60 euros.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
I feel your pain. There always seems to be a unjustifiable price gap across the Atlantic. Copy of 3dsMax retails for about $3000USD in US and Canada, same piece of software is £3000 in the UK. They claim the increase in pricing is due to language support in Europe
- interesting! i also found disparity by country/region when looking at Skype's per-minute pricing schedule...

- but is the Apple iTunes Store still US$0.99 no matter where you live?

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Still £329 on Nokia UK And $389 = ~£195 Hell, even the original $479 = ~£240

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Madrid Spain
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
Still £329 on Nokia UK And $389 = ~£195 Hell, even the original $479 = ~£240
true. the difference is the normal payment for month in italy or spain, and in usa or UK.