Active Topics

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The N800 also has MicroB, of course. I've been using the browser for almost a year now, and it doesn't strike me as unusable.
So maybe the MicroB implementation for the 800 is better than the 'version' for the 770.

On the 770, MicroB is in pre-alpha state at best. Nothing works anymore,
it simply trashes the whole system, so you'll have to reflash the unit:-(

Ray

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
So is the browser of the N800 that much better than the one in the 770?

In my experience the 770 built-in browser is the worst part of the IT.
I don't know whether Nokia or the makers of Opera are the ones to blame,
but the awful combination renders the IT to an unusabe state for me.

Ray
From my experience, yes. Both MicroB and Opera on the N800 are _much_ better than they were on the 770, ITOS2006 or 2007HE. I think it's the RAM and CPU diifference as much as anything. I found the browser quite unstalble on the 770 (especially with multiple windows). Browsing with the N800, I've only had a couple of crashes and normally have several windows open. (Flash enabled, too.)

If I still had my 770, I'd install Seatbelt for sure. It sounds like it cures many of the browsing woes with the 770. (Haven't tried it, though.)

Getting back to the subject of the thread, this was a great and insightful article.

Last edited by benmhall; 2007-11-03 at 02:24.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
So is the browser of the N800 that much better than the one in the 770?

In my experience the 770 built-in browser is the worst part of the IT.
I don't know whether Nokia or the makers of Opera are the ones to blame,
but the awful combination renders the IT to an unusabe state for me.

Ray
Don't know about the 770, but the N800 with Opera or MicroB works fine with me. However I learned that fast Wifi helps a lot. I normally use Opera.

Improved still/video camera support that captures what the user sees as against the user will solidify positioning within the mobile walking WWW community.
Like it or not, image/video is now considered a vital component and reasonable imaging, editing and management is crucial.
Much of the rest of the space is being defined nicely.
Add a basic 3mp (for now - 5+ by next year?) auto focus rig to the ability for handling 90+% (at a guess) of the current internet standards in protocols, resolutions, etc.. in the simple N810 form factor which is rapidly being dialed in as optimal for portability coupled with pda/office/communications software with secure personal data storage at or below the existing price point.....

Does anyone not believe this is the next big thing world wide?

Ubiquitous docking cradles be they desktop/wall mount/Foleo-like pretty much guarantees computing for mostest

Originally Posted by benmhall View Post
If I still had my 770, I'd install Seatbelt for sure. It sounds like it cures many of the browsing woes with the 770.
Thanks for the 'Seatbelt' hint. Too bad I didn't hear about it before.

If I had known about it, maybe I'd think differently about my 770...

Ray

BTW: Also thanks to the other people who replied.

Bottom line seems to be that the N800 is more stable regarding web browsing,
and maybe the N810 will be too.

So maybe I'll get a N810 later, at least if I'm not satisfied with my OQO,
which should arrive within the next two weeks;-)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Anyone with unstable 770s should keep an eye on bug #2006 as a memory corruption bug has been found and fixed by Serge and Fanoush - well done both! Hopefully a firmware update will be forthcoming in due course, but it's unlikely that it will be from Nokia at this point in time.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Still convinced that people step into the world of mobile internet with crazy expectations. I crash Firefox on my browser (Core Duo 2 gigs of Ram XP) nearly every day, I never even try surf the web on my symbian phones anymore because you can't do that for more than 5 minutes without an error. On the IT I can surf a full battery cycle (4 hours) without a crash using google reader to read my obscene number of feeds. Why is my experience so different than some others?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
That's a good point, md. IE7 crashes on both may laptop and desktop regularly.

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
...... On the IT I can surf a full battery cycle (4 hours) without a crash using google reader to read my obscene number of feeds. Why is my experience so different than some others?
Likely a combination of empirical learning and inherent device stability.

From my own personal experience, more often than not, firmware devices pass/fail with more regularity. If you are sharp enough to observe failure patterns and couple that with a habit of (consciously/unconsciously )working within the device boundaries, the butt-sore user experiences others complain of - "It should just work like my (insert shiny rabid fanboy brand name here) or it's a total piece of crap!" - go largely missing.

Chronic support cases typically remain blind to glaring issues usually avoidable by simply paying attention. Their user experience and opinion often are skewed towards devices designed to the lowest common denominator or ones they have somehow magically gotten right.

Nature is still a bore.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Anyone with unstable 770s should keep an eye on bug #2006 as a memory corruption bug has been found and fixed by Serge and Fanoush - well done both! Hopefully a firmware update will be forthcoming in due course, but it's unlikely that it will be from Nokia at this point in time.
Reading through this bug trail was very interesting, and ultimately very disappointing.

> Also can you comment how
> Nokia would handle this or at least push it to appropriate people (Quim?) who
> can provide the answer?

I'm not working with 770 anymore, so from my point of view the case is clear:
there won't be any official updates or fixes coming to 770.
If Nokia do not find a way to issue this fix then I won't be buying any more devices from them.