No doubt N900 is a super capable computer, but it's mostly for geeks. I am pretty sure you wouldn't call it user-friendly, would you? That's why it was not a big success among ordinary consumers. Today I use N900 mainly for TV streaming, thanks to its faster CPU. For other programs such as RSS, FBReader, Web browsing, music streaming, etc. I prefer to use my N810. It's a major disappointment to not be able to do a straightforward copy-paste in N900 (easily done in N810). How is this a pleasant experience? And why does a Web page have to jerk around when you touch it?

I love my N900, i sometimes realise ive just been like staring at it, thinking wow this really is amazing... much like i did when i got my 3650......"woa its got a camera, u can downloads apps and its got a round keypad! OMG etc"

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
It's a major disappointment to not be able to do a straightforward copy-paste in N900 (easily done in N810). How is this a pleasant experience?
How are Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V complicated???

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
I'm seeing the future of meego as this...
Android = java wrapping linux
Meego = QT wrapping linux

Yeah competition... Knowing nokia? I won't be shocked if we see a super stripped down linux on meego just like the droid.
Why? To avoid these "Oh no!! I deleted my /var/ folder got to go to nokia center" from common end-users

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Knowing nokia? I won't be shocked if we see a super stripped down linux on meego just like the droid.
And Nokia could no longer claim compatibility with MeeGo. MeeGo is defined as a standard Linux distribution based off the LSB, so all the stuff we expect to get in a Linux distro are required to be there.

Why? To avoid these "Oh no!! I deleted my /var/ folder got to go to nokia center" from common end-users
Anyone messing around at that level will not receive support.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I'm seeing the future of meego as this...
Android = java wrapping linux
Meego = QT wrapping linux

Yeah competition... Knowing nokia? I won't be shocked if we see a super stripped down linux on meego just like the droid.
I'd be shocked if T-Mobile offered a MeeGo device that wasn't well locked down. I'd be shocked if Nokia locks down MeeGo on its own. The openess of the Maemo5 device shows Nokia gets it to some extent.

Thinking that MeeGo will end up in a situation analogous to Android negates the presence of a full Linux core in MeeGo. It also quietly avoids the issue of Google being the sole and secret tinkerer with the core of Android. MeeGo has several fathers and an open environment. Nokia can see the problems being closed and single point controlled carrys for Android. I can not imagine Nokia wanting to replicate those issues.

If the first MeeGo handset is not at least as open and modifiable as the N900 then Nokia will have not learned the lessons to be learned in step 4 of 5.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
I am pretty sure you wouldn't call it user-friendly, would you?
outside telephone functions : absolutely yes! About 3 trillion years advance from os2008
e:good example:
take a picture, tag and share it to flickr. How could it be any easier?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-11-19 at 17:39.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And Nokia could no longer claim compatibility with MeeGo. MeeGo is defined as a standard Linux distribution based off the LSB, so all the stuff we expect to get in a Linux distro are required to be there.

Anyone messing around at that level will not receive support.
Well meego is meego... It's a QT based platform for mobile. No GTK, hildon etc.
You can't install debian/redhat arm softwares from their respective repos.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
but it offers great compatibility with any meego device.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Yes, point being? MeeGo will have community repos much like Maemo does, however. You'll probably need to hack or buy an unlocked unit to use them however.

No, you can't. Even if you could, you'd be on your own as there's no guarantee they'd work.