Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This is fascinating but how do people keep the charge topped up? The USB on my first two only lasted a year each - now I'm out of warranty, I'm terrified of breaking it, so swap the battery once a day (as per drain rate).

If you're installing stuff, how does one get the application menu to refresh, without doing a reboot? "killall hildon-desktop"?

Even when I was using a charger, I usually forgot or accidentally ran
out of charge at least once a week, so (IMHO) anything 10+ days is good going!
I must have been very lucky with my USB port as I never had any problems with it, it's solid as rock. The only thing I did was I shortened the two little hooks on the cable so it's more easy to connect and disconnect.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Apeldoorn area, Netherlands
Excellent. Not alot of smart-phones can reach that up-time these days. Another proof of how awesome the Meamo OS is. (Even with certain memory leaks)

Only reason I haven't got an up-time higher than 2 weeks is because i'm always home late and forget to charge it again

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This is fascinating but how do people keep the charge topped up? The USB on my first two only lasted a year each - now I'm out of warranty, I'm terrified of breaking it,
Did you already solder your USB port? I've done this a while ago and it feels rock solid. Not really afraid of breaking this one since I broke my first N900's USB in like half a year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wreck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wreck View Post
Only reason I haven't got an up-time higher than 2 weeks is because i'm always home late and forget to charge it again
My point, exactly.

Yeah, done the charger thing ages ago - the way the slot fixes on to the board is just a bit light-weight, so unless given profolactic treatment, it will break. I been a bit tentative to do any soldering because I'm quite ham-fisted and thought I'd do more harm than good, but now I'm out of warranty it's probably a good idea.

What is the generally accepted technique for refreshing the application menu and other things that can be a bit reluctant to update by themselves?

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
I've also used my N900 as hotspot for almost a month with no reboot . I've took out the charger and battery drained in ~4 hours with hotspot running .

P.S. : n900 is a wifi monster , it's able to transmit on a large area , just like a router , even better than some shitty routers .

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dragoss91 For This Useful Post:
Just a quick update, the experiment continues

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to philh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
my 900 lasts for only 9 hours even its fully charged

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
Time for a new battery

\m/ BA TTE RY !!! \m/

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
i thought there's smthing wrong in my device. thank u

The Following User Says Thank You to seanmcken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Time for a new battery

\m/ BA TTE RY !!! \m/
Off topic here but before replacing battery I'd be checking top for unknown high processes

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
P.S. : n900 is a wifi monster , it's able to transmit on a large area , just like a router , even better than some shitty routers .
Seconded. Mine gets good connection (at a certain spot in my house) where four other devices (two phones, one tablet and one netbook) struggle.

Originally Posted by seanmcken View Post
I second sixwheeledbeast's reply. I stretched my battery life from 12 hours to about 2 days just by tidying up running processes. WiFi is the biggest drain. Probably GPS too, but I never use it without being on a charger so I wouldn't know.

In my case the biggest help was:
  • Log in to WLAN manually (Search interval="none" in Settings/Internet connections);
  • Install AutoDisconnect;
  • Keep Skype at offline unless I actually intend to use it (staying online prevents AutoDisconnect from timing out).

PS
@sixwheeledbeast, I do not necessarily think it's off topic. After all, battery life does have an implication on uptime, albeit indirect.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: