Active Topics

If you're going to directly compare two things, then you can't really say certain aspects aren't "fair". What you're effectively doing taking every part of Maemo that can actually compete in some way and ignoring everything that's superior about Gingerbread.

Maemo doesn't really "win" on the maps front, Nokia maps is hardly great on this phone. It's OK but I've had quite a few annoying issues with it. Just because it did something beforehand on a mobile doesn't mean it's better - it's "unfair" to the other device to discard its superior maps application because it didn't have it first. In fact by that logic, Maemo beats Gingerbread and Android 1.0 beats Maemo etc.

It seems your mini review is very geared towards working the facts in favour of Maemo regardless of which is actually better. Compare them like for like and I'm sure Gingerbread is superior in most of the aspects you compared. If you're going to say "a Google service is better on Gingerbread, but that's unfair because it's made by Google" or "This isn't a fair comparison because Gingerbread is newer", don't compare them at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to llBlackenedll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llBlackenedll View Post
If you're going to directly compare two things, then you can't really say certain aspects aren't "fair". What you're effectively doing taking every part of Maemo that can actually compete in some way and ignoring everything that's superior about Gingerbread.

Maemo doesn't really "win" on the maps front, Nokia maps is hardly great on this phone. It's OK but I've had quite a few annoying issues with it. Just because it did something beforehand on a mobile doesn't mean it's better - it's "unfair" to the other device to discard its superior maps application because it didn't have it first. In fact by that logic, Maemo beats Gingerbread and Android 1.0 beats Maemo etc.

It seems your mini review is very geared towards working the facts in favour of Maemo regardless of which is actually better. Compare them like for like and I'm sure Gingerbread is superior in most of the aspects you compared. If you're going to say "a Google service is better on Gingerbread, but that's unfair because it's made by Google" or "This isn't a fair comparison because Gingerbread is newer", don't compare them at all.
I believe OP's has already indicated that there are parts of maemo that are not as good(or bad by some measure). OP is simply pointing out that the features demo are (1) not new/never before seen and (2) they were implemented(and work reasonably well) in an device that is at least 1.5 yr old. I think in this context the comparison is 'fair' in that the more modern/current implementation SHOULD be much better. Can one say for the features that are being looked at, are they 25%, 50%, 100% or 500% better than N900's implementation? Think about it, the new android 3 is demo on a dual processor, 10" pad; so on paper that device/OS combo should DO amazing thing.

For me personally, I am somewhat disappointed about the multi-tasking part of the Android 3 - it is more slick for sure; but it still seem to be a freeze-and-go kind of multi-task(now this is only based the limited info I have seen so far, so feel free to correct me). For MY use case, the multi-task ability of N900 is the reason I have the N900 on me other than the samsung gal s( Yes, I have rooted the samsung gal s already, so I may try other rom or the android 3 rom when that is available)

Cheers,

PS: so why I got the gal s, my current phone plan was up for renewal, and the best plan for me is the one that comes with a smartphone, so I pick the gal s over the iphone

Last edited by cheve; 2011-01-11 at 16:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
yes maybe yoju are right in some points.but don't forget that its more important how good a device handles these features.
crashing and siteloading micro-b? fail
google chrome on n900? fail
skype video chat?dude did you already used it?
maemo5 navigation???? EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!

NEXT
I Just wonder more and more, why are you all Android fanboys on this forum?

Just for whining how bad N900/Maemo is or what!?

Many of you has already dished Meego so I dont even get why the freak you all is still here?

Maybe you all guys should start a new site where you all can bashing about how bad Nokia is, How bad Maemo is how bad Meego is and how doomed Meego is.

This forum sucks more and more for everyday cause most of the forumthreads is bashing or threads about Android blablabla.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
how has that pictures front camera such good quality? Mines terrible

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
i wouldn't say we win with our maps or chromium, those aren't working very well, but you could say we tie because we have many choices of what web browser or navigation app to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
how has that pictures front camera such good quality? Mines terrible
It's all about having sufficient ambient lighting...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I Just wonder more and more, why are you all Android fanboys on this forum?
I can only speak for myself, but I had a Maemo device before I had an Android device. And yet somehow, I use my Android device more frequently because it's consistently gotten better and added features and gathered vendor support in a much more expedited manner than Maemo and potentially MeeGo.

Simply put, I liked Maemo enough to join this forum, add guides how to optimize Diablo on the N810, resisted the N900 because of the backwards feeling decision to go with a smaller screen and basically silently launch the N900 with little to no fanfare.

Android became a favorite because of the lack of traction in Maemo.

Just for whining how bad N900/Maemo is or what!?
I'd call it commiseration. I'd call what you're doing whining.

Many of you has already dished Meego so I dont even get why the freak you all is still here?
Nobody's dissed MeeGo as much as it's not came out despite a February of last year announcement and not much more. I'm still here because I'm still a Maemo fan.

Why the **** are you asking? Does it really matter what you think about why people are here? That's rather self-righteous of yourself.

Maybe you all guys should start a new site where you all can bashing about how bad Nokia is, How bad Maemo is how bad Meego is and how doomed Meego is.
I vote we stay here. Without input, positive and negative, nothing will never get better. Besides, people are here because they have expectations - most will never be met, some should.

This forum sucks more and more for everyday cause most of the forumthreads is bashing or threads about Android blablabla.
Feel free to leave or learn some tolerance.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
******** on the maps.

There is nothing that is even close to Google maps application on Maemo 5 (and there most-likely never will be). If all of the developers of all the Maemo mapping apps joined forces, they may have a chance. The thing is, there's a whole team of developers at Google working on this, and it just works, beautifully. Local searching, fast (and accurate) routing, etc.

Again, there's nothing even close to this on Maemo. Sadly, it's the only feature I really miss from my old 1st gen iphone when I moved to the N900 over a year ago (and it didn't even have GPS, but was somehow more accurate than Ovi maps w/ GPS!!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
GeePS uses google maps and works well. I like it for the traffic feature most of all.

Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
******** on the maps.

There is nothing that is even close to Google maps application on Maemo 5 (and there most-likely never will be). If all of the developers of all the Maemo mapping apps joined forces, they may have a chance. The thing is, there's a whole team of developers at Google working on this, and it just works, beautifully. Local searching, fast (and accurate) routing, etc.

Again, there's nothing even close to this on Maemo. Sadly, it's the only feature I really miss from my old 1st gen iphone when I moved to the N900 over a year ago (and it didn't even have GPS, but was somehow more accurate than Ovi maps w/ GPS!!)

The Following User Says Thank You to Taleydra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
It's all about having sufficient ambient lighting...
Ha! Yeah, sufficient light meaning facing the sun and blinding yourself in the process! Skype doesn't work well for me, on 3G and on WiFi, even if I have a dozen floodlights pointed at my face!

As a general reply to this post, I would say no, mate. You can't compare the two models and OSes. Yes there are some GREAT things about Maemo5 which tower over my friends' Androids and iPhones. But Maps??? Really? And don't you wish the hw developers gave more time and effort to make these N900 beasts just a tad slimmer and lighter

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:

Tags
enjoying maemo, just shoot me, n900design wins, your mom blows