Active Topics

Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Just in case, do you have the following fix installed: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11824 ?

I'm not sure if it is directly related to your problem, but that memory corruption bug is quite nasty and can cause all the kind of WLAN instability issues. Please report back if it helps.
Not related to my problem, since I've been using the fixed version.

Is this related?
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1459

I just wonder whether we can transplant the "fixed" osso-wlan-security to OS2007HE or OS2008HE.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2008 @ London, UK
Also see http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21797 for same problem (and potential workaround)

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Since the date of Vinh's post #4 of this thread, more comments have been posted on the Bugzilla thread that he cited. Here is the URL of the thread again:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082 .

Comment #17 (in the Bugzilla thread) makes a super-low-tech suggestion. The writer of that comment (Burgess) seems to have the same problem as littlestone, i.e. the nearby presence of a single n-type router (see Burgess's later comment #21 of the Bugzilla thread). Burgess found that the body-shielding worked for him. Maybe it all depends on how close the n-type router is.

The body-shielding trick works for me too. I don't know whether I have the same problem as Burgess and littlestone, or whether in my case it's the large number of AP's around. I can connect easily from about 10 pm to 8 am: only about five or six AP's show up at that time. Daytime is when I have trouble. The search picks up page after page of AP's and then suddenly loses them all and "No Connections available" appears. Evidently a lot of people are turning their routers off at night. So far, I have had 100% success by using the body-shielding when those routers are on during the day

For the people who have had no success with the body-shielding: make sure that you have the 770 shielded while any searching and connecting are going on. That means you have to be quick. Tap on the WiFi icon and immediately hold the screen against you. After the time it takes to search (I don't have a figure in seconds), look at the screen and tap on your connection before another search starts, then immediately hold the screen against you while the Tablet connects. Once the connection is made, you should be OK, if your problem is the same as mine.

There are other possible sources of overwhelming 2.4 GHz signals. When my wife turns on the 2.4 GHz portable phone, the Tablet's WLAN connection is immediately lost. I can't get it back until she finishes the call. Do you have chatty neighbours? Maybe that's the problem.

Last edited by scaler; 2009-03-28 at 18:23. Reason: Verified few local AP's operating at night

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Cincy,Ohio
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
Since the date of Vinh's post #4 of this thread, more comments have been posted on the Bugzilla thread that he cited. Here is the URL of the thread again:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082 .

Comment #17 (in the Bugzilla thread) makes a super-low-tech suggestion. The writer of that comment (Burgess) seems to have the same problem as littlestone, i.e. the nearby presence of a single n-type router (see Burgess's later comment #21 of the Bugzilla thread). Burgess found that the body-shielding worked for him. Maybe it all depends on how close the n-type router is.

The body-shielding trick works for me too. I don't know whether I have the same problem as Burgess and littlestone, or whether in my case it's the large number of AP's around. I can connect easily from about 10 pm to 8 am. Daytime is when I have trouble and need to do the body-shielding. Something is being turned on in the day and off at night, and interfering with my connection when it is on.

There are other possible sources of overwhelming 2.4 GHz signals. When my wife turns on the 2.4 GHz portable phone, the Tablet's WLAN connection is immediately lost. I can't get it back until she finishes the call. Do you have chatty neighbours? Maybe that's the problem.
Well as I said in my other post you all should set your routers to only b/g. Also n networks throw out a longer signal and thus can interfere. Interesting about your wife's phone also. But I think someone has an n close. 2005 OS ironically uses all networks but 2006 only ses g/b!

Originally Posted by trin20t View Post
Well as I said in my other post you all should set your routers to only b/g. Also n networks throw out a longer signal and thus can interfere. Interesting about your wife's phone also. But I think someone has an n close. 2005 OS ironically uses all networks but 2006 only ses g/b!
I think you miss the point here. The N signal is from the neighbour, not from ourselves. Unless you have the power to tell all your neighbours to turn their routers to only b/g, otherwise your suggestion is not going to work.

Last edited by racky; 2009-03-28 at 10:36.