Notices

Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
...pythonscript...
I believe you are right with this.

I think the folder ".." is nice at the 1st position as up button, but there should be something displaying the folder path.How could a menu be accessed? I would prefer no toolbar. I thought about making the ".." folder smaller and the text bigger with the folder path in it. Could look strange and still no menu buttons. Some opinions?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by sethkha View Post
I believe you are right with this.

I think the folder ".." is nice at the 1st position as up button, but there should be something displaying the folder path.How could a menu be accessed? I would prefer no toolbar. I thought about making the ".." folder smaller and the text bigger with the folder path in it. Could look strange and still no menu buttons. Some opinions?
Well i guess you open a scrollable window, so wouldnt it be nice with the path as a small text in the top of that window. and then access the global menu by tapping that row?
Menuicons could also be icons in a row at the beginning or end of the list. which differs from normal fileicons for example with a different background?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
@sethkha
First, great idea. Such a hasel to have to go programme > file, when file > programme sometimes seems a lot more logical.

Edit: thanks to electricaudio for the idea and sethhha for getting the development rolling

Now, a few ideas...

Design/implementation method
Might this be best displayed using the browser? Make a webpage to look like a file explorer: use some server-side scripts to call shell functions and then use some quick and easy css/js to parse/format the output, link thumbnails etc.?
- possibly wrap up as an xpi (mozilla plugin), instead of a deb?
- The layout would be easy to customise and the desktop can have many bookmarks to the same uri, though the server would need to be able to determine the folder to display based on some other info such as the string in the <title /> tag (saved in the bookmark)

I did have a go at writing my first perl script to output ls -a but couldn't work out how to pass an arbitrary.directory to the function - I just got -1 as the output! Though, I did find this extensive article.

In short, the browser provides an always ready (always running!), ready made UI - so why not use it if possible?

Feature request: "open-with"
Something that's lacking in maemo is the ability to arbitrarily open files with a given programme. This could be exteneded to set different default type-to-programme associations from the in built ones. It would also be able to handle extension-less files.
- Using the browser paradigm above: in hover mode, there could be a few options akin to a right-click menu.

As for icons, might it be an idea to use a modified version of the icon form programme a given file is expected to open with e.g htm/html files might have a mini globe (like the "Web" icon) or if mp3 files are supposed to open with, say, KMplayer - they'd get a mini KMplayer icon. Easy for users to anticipate what'll happen. If you were feeling really bored I'm sure it'd be possible to write/include some functionality that converted the programme icon into a file icon!?!

... just a few thoughts...

Last edited by demolition; 2011-08-03 at 22:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
.. path as a small text in the top of that window. and then access the global menu by tapping that row..
I think that's it

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
First, great idea...
Credits for the idea go to electroaudio...

...Might this be best displayed using the browser?
Maybe, but it wouldn't be a desktop widget and I suppose it would use more memory for the same purpose. Besides, I hardly understand a word you say here. I know what these things are, but I am not able to do this.

Feature request: "open-with"
Yes

- Using the browser paradigm above: in hover mode, there could be a few options akin to a right-click menu.
There is no hover mode (?)

If you were feeling really bored...
Wont happen

I decided to do this icon thing like I planned at the beginning (if a different solution comes around, this could be changed). I'll use some awoken icons.
Alphabetical sort,icons,menu, tool bar, name, deb... this could take some time. Now last question. Update this page at progress or update when ready?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sethkha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
nice it is working! but it does not look like "My computer" as on my desktop(i thought it would be some thing like that)
scrolling for long time(by holding up or down button) brings the setting for the desktop

BTW "Default folder is /home/user not yet configurable" is the worst thing

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholes For This Useful Post:
Maybe, but it wouldn't be a desktop widget and I suppose it would use more memory for the same purpose. Besides, I hardly understand a word you say here. I know what these things are, but I am not able to do this.
Using Oculo "web" content may be rendered directly on desktop. Still, I'm not sure, if it's "clickable", or only window showing things.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I decided to do this icon thing like I planned at the beginning (if a different solution comes around, this could be changed). I'll use some awoken icons.
Alphabetical sort,icons,menu, tool bar, name, deb... this could take some time. Now last question. Update this page at progress or update when ready?
I like your route better than the browser idea, i have tried to do some stuff with the browser before but didnt like it, its always too slow and cumbersome to do stuff like that in a webpage.

Please update whenever you think it has been some progress

Last edited by electroaudio; 2011-07-28 at 21:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Updated first page

The Following User Says Thank You to sethkha For This Useful Post:
It starts to look good

Some comments
My idea with the text was to put it inside the scrollable area However this works too so...
One thing i see is that when the widget is smaller than the list then a scroll sideways list is shown. wouldnt it be better with only vertical scroll and adapt the number of rows to the width?

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
One thing i see is that when the widget is smaller than the list then a scroll sideways list is shown. wouldnt it be better with only vertical scroll and adapt the number of rows to the width?
Yes, this will be changed

The Following User Says Thank You to sethkha For This Useful Post: