Active Topics

Both OpenJDK and Sun's embedded JRE work well on N810. I've only tried OpenJDK in chroot, but Sun's embedded JRE works fine on Maemo.
They both include Swing and for the most part software just works.
Performance on N810 is unimpressive (though reasonable so long as the program isn't too memory hungry), but I'm sure on the N900 Java will do just fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadavwr For This Useful Post:
then why is there the "no java" complaining around? and I was told I couldn't surf to my webmail either? (gmx.com has a total java webpage afaik)
and java games applications should work too then?
is the only problem you have to install java yourself?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Wouldn't java layered on Maeomo be inefficient? It sucks on Android and that is the truth. Nice for some level of portability, but sucky in regards to resource efficiency.

Ironically, the very thing that makes Android so "easy" to program for is what is holding it back. lame ***** java.

Cool on a laptop or computer though.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-16 at 11:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Java is always 'layered' ontop of whatever platform you are running, and will always be slower than the base system.

That is the trade-off for 'compile once, run almost anywhere' for many applications the trade-off pays off, for others it doesn't.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
In addition to the above links there's also Jalimo.

Unfortunately, unless it's possible to right first-class apps with these JREs, they're destined to be niche things rather than mainstream app platforms. Personally, I think it's a shame.

I asked Peter about it at Nokia World; the answer is simple: "Other platforms" [Android, webOS and iPhone] have one development platform. Nokia have two which are strategic - Web Runtime and Qt. That's already more complicated than the other platforms both in terms of introducing developers to the platform and maintenance/support.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
F*** Java

I know it won't die, but at least we can stab it

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
then why is there the "no java" complaining around?
the thing is, these Java SE Embedded packages for Linux are not "official" yet. they're evaluation versions valid for only 30 days.

also, sun currently does not permit redistribution of these packages.

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
the thing is, these Java SE Embedded packages for Linux are not "official" yet. they're evaluation versions valid for only 30 days.

also, sun currently does not permit redistribution of these packages.
and what happens after 30 days? it stops working? if so, it equal to me that it doesn't exist.. and it means it's not GPL (I tought java was?).. :/

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
i don't know what happens after this evalutation period, i don't have a NIT on which to test it on.

and yea, it's not GPL. these are binary packages and have a special licensing scheme (link to it is on the download site for embedded packages).

edit:
i just realized that these packages are evaluation NOT because they're beta versions or under developement, these are evaluation because sun wants to MAKE $$$ FAST on embedded devices

see here
Q10 and Q11 are relevant.

Last edited by SubCore; 2009-10-16 at 13:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
i don't know what happens after this evalutation period, i don't have a NIT on which to test it on.

and yea, it's not GPL. these are binary packages and have a special licensing scheme (link to it is on the download site for embedded packages).

edit:
i just realized that these packages are evaluation NOT because they're beta versions or under developement, these are evaluation because sun wants to MAKE $$$ FAST on embedded devices

see here
Q10 and Q11 are relevant.
It also states its free for development use. So develop with it. The two follow up Q's I took to mean deployment WITH a device - IE the n900 shipping with it.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900