Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
General sticky thread edited getting the feed back from verybody here:

READ THIS before posting a new thread

Main drivers: as short as possible, leaving out anything that is kind of obvious or common sense.

Please point to this sticky thread whenever you see someone starting a new thread apparently without noticing such guidelines. Thank you!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There is now a Sticky draft for the N800 forum. Please comment. Once we are happy about it I will adapt the same sticky for the N810 and the 770.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thank you for removing the section about bumping old threads in the POST topic. After all, if they're posting a new thread, then they're not the "bumping type".

I prefer that if people have questions about my applications, they post to my thread(s), because I subscribe to those threads and I know faster when someone needs help.

It's not that I have a strong opinion about bumping threads. Since there was no consensus I took it out. I don't think a gold rule can be made. Sometimes it's good, sometimes doesn't help. There is probably no way a Newbie can distinguish.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posted a sticky for the N810 forum. Feedback welcome as usual.

Anybody willing to volunteer with more stickies for other forums? Just post them and I will make them sticky.

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
qgil,

Just read your stickies on /General and /N810.
Looking back to when I was new here fairly recently,

I think you have covered the essentials simply and concisely !
I like the tone, informative and guiding.

You really can't shorten them more,
but if you should have to add something,
they would still be short enough to be read, I think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:
The Nokia 770 forum has sticky for new posters now:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...d.php?p=280819

Anybody volunteering to write the Alternatives sticky draft to save users from Alternate OS Confusion and also explaining how to deal with no further subforum classification in the Alternatives forum?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, this has somehow become my thing, so I guess I'll try to write something up in the next few days. If someone else does it first, I won't mind, either.

I need to write up an "Alternative Desktops" wiki page, too, since there is a lot of confusion between distributions and desktops. It is made worse by the fact that people think Ubuntu is the Gnome desktop, and the fact that various versions of KDE (and some other, minimalist desktops, like FVWM) can be installed in Maemo, Deblet, Mer, and Easy Debian.

Last edited by qole; 2009-05-05 at 16:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
First seeds of a sticky for the Maemo 5 forum available at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=12

Any volunteers to write that sticky adding the relevant sources (GeneralAntilles has linked to them several times in questions from people here and there).

Tags
itt, maemo, rules, sticky