Linking the related bug report: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5372

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i'm sure its working, but i'll beware of installing anything thats not definitely optified after seeing what kind of problems can be caused by doing so.

can anyone tell how you find out if a program is optified before actually installing it?
the programs in the appmanager should have a tag or so that tells the user about their basic status...

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by msa View Post
can anyone tell how you find out if a program is optified before actually installing it?
the programs in the appmanager should have a tag or so that tells the user about their basic status...
you can take a look at the project page here on maemo.org. there are sometimes short quotes from the authors or links to the project-homepage with further explanations.

the system itself is quite simple:
1. if the author isn't sure about how well the program works -> devel
2. if the author knows the program works quite well but want to get it tested a little bit more -> testing
3. if the author and testers have a good feeling that the program works fine it will be called stable and moved to -> extras

right?! ^^

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by b666m View Post
you can take a look at the project page here on maemo.org. there are sometimes short quotes from the authors or links to the project-homepage with further explanations.

the system itself is quite simple:
1. if the author isn't sure about how well the program works -> devel
2. if the author knows the program works quite well but want to get it tested a little bit more -> testing
3. if the author and testers have a good feeling that the program works fine it will be called stable and moved to -> extras

right?! ^^
yes, but from what i saw until now, nothing of this guarantees that a program is optified or not. except for a program going into extras, of course.
but we're talking of devel and testing.
programs in there may or may not be optified. the question is: how to tell if they are or not?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My impression is that the extent and seriousness of the optification problem have been exaggerated. I have been somewhat careful and have installed programs from devel and have not had any problems.

And I don't particularly know what I'm doing. But the idea that I might have to reflash doesn't scare me.

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by msa View Post
the question is: how to tell if they are or not?
ask the author?!
you could make a proposal on this one. as you said there could be a checkbox or field where the author have to say in which state the app exactly is. (alpha, beta, semi-optified, optified, etc ^^)
maybe the brainstorm-section is a good place for such a suggestion.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
And I don't particularly know what I'm doing. But the idea that I might have to reflash doesn't scare me.
i'm on the linux side of life for about two years. ubuntu is always on my side. so i'm not a pro at all. but i have some experience i would say.
since i stay in linux on my machine for 99% of the time i got to know one important thing: make backups.
and with updated backups i haven't fear facing a reflash too. ^^

EDIT:
on more thing to this topic.
i always check out maemo.org and google before i install any new app/program. if there is a major bug or something it will be mentioned there within minutes.
and if there's nothing to complain about after hours or days of work there will be some postings about stability too - i guess.

Last edited by b666m; 2010-01-14 at 23:26.

tweakr sounds hot .. I bumbed into this little tool when I was trying to find out if one can have more than 2 profiles but haven't installed it yet ..

btw : what is optification ?
I don't even know what it is but I'm not afraid of devel-software ; this is linux after all, I've seen a few dev-softwares

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Here Optification

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.